GLP Triple Play

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deepbass9

Reaction score
Man, I love this stuff. Totally not something I read about and thought "I have to get me some", but boy am I glad I did. Here's my TR review, since I'm too lazy to reword it:

I'm all about variety, I'm all about quality and my palette is wider than many. Tobacco moisture, tongue bite, mood, smoking circumstances and other controllable variables won't be covered. This review is based on multiple bowls over time.

This may be my favorite blend yet. I've got your VA's, your VaPers, your Burleys, your Lats, your Aro's, your Orientals and all combos in between. Currently I have 46 jars I'm smoking from...at my leisure. This is one tasty blend, period...with plenty of VA sweetness pulling it together.

Anyone who says it's too much trouble to prepare seems a little lazy to me..slices easily, rubs fine, and leave it to sit a minute and she's ready to go. Yes, it's very moist, but that is a controllable variable, folks.

As for flavor...beefy, sweet, sourish, just damn yummy to my palette. I have JKP, which I like..this I love. I'm one of the fortunate ones that is unaffected by nicotine unless it's on an empty stomach. I can smoke this stuff all day..plummy and sweet, nutty and full..man I likes me some TP!

This will be added in quantity to my "cellar". We're all different, we're all human, but if you read my reviews and find yourself to have similar tastes, by all means give it a go! My favorite Pease blend to date. If Lat's are his forte, dark-fire seems to be his bread & butter. Thanks GLP, you have a winner.

This is an excellent tobacco.

The variety in life is echoed by the wonderful blends available today. Drink deep my friends; we are in the Renaissance period of pipe tobaks!

Excellent review. I really get a sense of what the tobacco and the smoke are like. Intensifies my wish to buy some.

Yup, just popped open a tin two days ago and your description is right on,,beefy, sweet and sour. Nutty and full,,I like this more than JKP too. but I've only begun the tin,,,wonder what some age will do to it.

Yes, Triple Play is a great blend. It's my favorite of all non-Latakia GL Pease blends, and I also can't wait to try some with age on it. I am avidly stocking up. By the way, I cut it up with scissors, as per recommendation of one of the BoB's members. That way, you can get nice ribbons that pack and smoke very well.

When Triple Play hits about 6 or 7 years old, it is going to be fantastic. I still have a lot of Orlick Dark Strong Kentucky from 1996 and it has mellowed and become syrupy and delicious.

Thanks for a great review. Looking to expand my viewfinder. :)

Sounds right in my wheelhouse, which is pretty wide, as is yours.

Tiger blood WINNING! ;)

I've only recently begun to sample G.L. Pease's stuff. So far I've got JKP and Haddo's under my belt with some Cumberland on the way. He's got so many blends its almost daunting. Problem is I really like JKP and Haddo's which means that eventually I have to try all his stuff. It kinda sucks not wanting to miss out but having so much to miss out on lol.
Its a good thing I'm not into englishs too much or it would take me a decade lol.

But yeah I'm gonna have to order some triple play next time I stock up...and some Filmore, and some Key Largo, and some Stratford, and some....AAAAARGH

I have a tin or two stewing in the cellar. I wasn't a big fan of Jacknife, but I really should try this.

You won't be disappointed with Cumberland; the most interesting and complex of any of the Pease blends that I've tried. Haddos certainly has complexity, but you are experiencing the burley, the VA and the Perique; plenty to keep your interest, especially given the tastes, but Cumberland is KY, VAs and the Perique. The KY dominates with an odd taste that you can't place, and the VAs have their flavors, all of it complimented by the Perique.

To me it is much more complex; you may think otherwise. But I would age the Cumberland for at least 6-12 months. This makes it a much better blend.

alfredo_buscatti":psdw09zr said:
You won't be disappointed with Cumberland; the most interesting and complex of any of the Pease blends that I've tried. Haddos certainly has complexity, but you are experiencing the burley, the VA and the Perique; plenty to keep your interest, especially given the tastes, but Cumberland is KY, VAs and the Perique. The KY dominates with an odd taste that you can't place, and the VAs have their flavors, all of it complimented by the Perique.

To me it is much more complex; you may think otherwise. But I would age the Cumberland for at least 6-12 months. This makes it a much better blend.
When referring to complexity, are you referring to Vapers or all of his stuff? I think Blackpoint is pretty damn complex. I am so looking forward to trying more GLP stuff. Have Westminster, Odyssey, and either JNP or Trpl-play on the way.

The BP continues to impress.....

I'm referring to Cumberland and Haddos only. But for me Cumberland is 50-100% more complex than Haddos; although I'm sure that I find it so because I've been smoking VA/Periques for a long time, and my palate understands their tastes through that long familiarity; it's trained.

Now some call Cumberland a VA/Perique but I disagree. It has VA and Perique but it also has the mahogany, and the percentage of Perique is low enough that it can slip in under the radar. I think in small percentages perique has the effect of throwing the other tobaccos into a more stark relief, they are thus enlivened, like the edges of a building in moonlight. In his post on Former tobaccos Rusty said something like perique, in a small percentage, enriches a straight VA. That also makes sense to me.

But getting back to Pease complexity, complexity is, perhaps, his greatest strength, among others. I think it is something for which he strives in all his blends; thus for you to feel Blackpoint is complex is, I'm sure, on target.

But I suspect that we all have our own definitions of complexity. Lately if I like a tobacco I'm apt to find it complex; but 5-10 bowls into smoking it I will likely revise that opinion if it is not. I think complexity is not only the varying presentation of multiple flavors within the smoke but also how those flavors combine. Are they distinctly different flavors like VA and perique or are they similar like red and bright VA. Do the flavors combine into a unit, so that complexity ripples forth from that unit, or do they remain separate?