Going to a Tinder Box for first time

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momus

Reaction score
In a few days I will be frequenting a Tinder Box for the first time. Living in Washington I have a few restraints on where I can find decent tobacco in a completely legal manner (at least I got Rain City Cigar). I was wondering who produces the bulk tobaccos at the Tinder Box and if they have any decent non aros---i.e. is their English or Balkan any good? Or is it all Peter Stok? Still wish I could find a place around here that sells tins....

I used to enjoy the TB Burley light blend. Its been a number of years since I bought it though. Their bulk tobaccos used to be pretty decent and were relatively inexpensive.

Tinder Box is Reno's only real pipe and pipe tobacco outlet. The B&M (run buy a guy I know) is 90% cigar and 10% pipe--since I'm not a cigar guy, I don't visit him much. :(

I'm not sure who they contract to mix their tobacco. It all seems pretty high-quality and gets a good following. The one we have here doesn't have a lot of non-aromatic selections in their in-house bulk tobacco, though.

Chartwell is good, and their Balkan blend (whatever it is called) I recall being decent.

They usually carry bulk McClelland if you are so inclined.

We used to have a Tinderbox in Columbia, MO (a town about an hour from where I live). They also catered mostly to the cigar trade but did have all the Tinderbox bulks. I liked Sherlock's Choice, a medium English blend. Their burley blend is not bad but is repackaged Burley Light Without Bite. They had some McClelland tins and I purchased some Dark Star and no. 24 Virginia. They also had a small selection of snuffs. Their pipes were mostly Petersons with some Meers. The proprietor was very nice to me, although I don't think he had a lot of pipe experience. I only went back a time or two because I could get a much better selection on the internet. They went out of business about two years ago.

Smokey

now we really only have Jon's. There is the Nostalgia Shop which, I believe is cigars only and then several cigarette shops that might also sell tubs of Carter Hall or Prince Albert.... :(

The TinderBox in Raleigh has always been 90% cigars and 10% pipes, by an employees own admission. I used to buy University Flake from them, but that's it.

Their humidor doesn't compare to the one worthy B&M in the proximal distance.

alfredo_buscatti":82w70std said:
The TinderBox in Raleigh has always been 90% cigars and 10% pipes, by an employees own admission. I used to buy University Flake from them, but that's it.

Their humidor doesn't compare to the one worthy B&M in the proximal distance.
I pretty much agree with this. Once I discovered the wider world of pipesandcigars.com and smokingpipes.com, plus some better B & M's around the state, I never went back. I got pretty tired of their aromatic's fairly quickly basically concluding they were closer to the drugstore class than the Gawith's and the McClelland's of the world. Seemed like flavorings disappeared or became bitter rather quickly (can you say propylene glycol?), and the underlying tobaccos were not all that good. But then, I just love Peter Stok's LTF, so what do I know. :roll:

Been so long since I've had access to a Tinderbox that you shouldn't give my suggestion must weight, but I used to enjoy their Philosopher blend.

I don't know if it's still exactly the same as it was back in the late 80s, and even if it were, I've tried so many other great blends since then that I might not enjoy it as much anyway, but I have good memories of it and am going to recommend you give it a small try.

Sherlock's Choice was a second, but not a close one.

Used to have a first class TB in my area. The proprietor was a son of a tobacconist and while young, knew more about 'baccy than I've ever forgot!

His operation was the best I've ever seen - while primarily dedicated to cigars, he also had a very large selection of pipes in all cost ranges. From baskets to to upper end. I bought my Wiley and several Petes through him.

He also had a great selection of pipe 'baccys, and apart from the TB bulk stuff he was obligated to carry he also offered open tins that one could sample before purchasing. I made many decisions based on this.

He also had a way great smoking lounge in the back of the store complete with leather chairs and couches, big screen TV, great sound system, smoke extractor, plus food and drink. And one could smoke anywhere in the store!

It was a meeting place for all and sundry, and my local herfing group made this a destination for years.

Sadly, he eventually succumbed to the internet as well as the punitive taxes in WA state. What a great loss!

:pale:

Cheers,

RR

If you're ever in Los Angeles, you should check out the original TinderBox on Wilshire Blvd. Unlike every thing else in LA, it has not changed in years. Kind of like a little time capsule. They carry cigars of course, but they stock a lot of pipes, and nice ones too. Castello, Dunhill, as well as Petersons and Savinellis, if I remember correctly. It's situated in a high rent part of town, so I'm guessing they actually have customers for the $1200 Castellos in the display case.

Thanks everyone. Now I have a basic direction when I get there. Wanted to ask you guys cuz most people in tobacco stores (even legit ones) don't know anything about pipes, or tell me wrong information when they try, so I figured I better ask you guys first.
In the Puget Sound the only other places I can think of for some OK pipe selection would be Rain City Cigar or Kirsten Pipes---but both those places only do bulk really and its Lane and or Pete Stok. Crossing my fingers on some decent tins. Used to order online but then I discovered the C class felony part of my actions. And I'm paranoid enough already so no more doing that...well, maybe, maybe, one of these days I'll actually be able to try, say, Margate or something like that...heck, I'm just happy I cellared a ton of Epiphany...

I frequent my local TB all the time, and have become good friends with the person who manages their pipes and pipe tobacco area. I have to be honest that he has not steered me wrong yet, and one of my favorite blends is the TB 1928. I believe it is lightly aromatic, but it's one of my go-to blends when I want something mild and smooth. Yesterday I also purchased some of their other McClelland blends, including their 1927 and Christmas Cheer (Holiday Tobacco).

It is true that their store is mostly stocked with cigars and cigar paraphernalia, but I have such a good relationship with the pipe manager, that I prefer going there. He's also gotten me some bulk discounts on some of my favorite blends, including Squadron Leader and Haunted Bookshop. Both times he ordered me a 16 ounce bag and I was cheaper than buying it myself and sans shipping & handling.

As for their pipe selection, he has exquisite taste in pipes, but they are all premium brands, well at least for the most part, and since my pipe purchases rarely exceed $100, their are out of my price range. But I generally find gorgeous Ascorti, Caminetto and a couple of other premium brands I can't remember. However, on the low end, my local TB has a pipe brand called Carolina Briar, priced at the $50-$70 mark. I own three Carolina Briar's now, one was a drug store $25 pipe, the others were a little higher end, TB pipes, and none of them disapoint. All three of them smoke so well, that I reserved them for my English blends. The also have a $65 La Rocca, which is a beautiful rusticated, bend dublin, and one of the most beautiful pipes I own. It also, smokes like a dream.

So, I guess what I'm saying, is that you might be pleasantly surprised by what you find.

I'd say, don't be discouraged by an overwhelming cigar selection, if my local TB is any indication, they have enough variety and a small, but good selection of blends and pipes that will keep you happy. I would make a point of getting to know their pipe-expert and go from there.

Best of luck.

Martin

MartinH":mip3s8il said:
... one of my favorite blends is the TB 1928. I believe it is lightly aromatic, but it's one of my go-to blends when I want something mild and smooth. Yesterday I also purchased some of their other McClelland blends, including their 1927 and Christmas Cheer (Holiday Tobacco).
Martin
...that 1928 I believe is an exclusive blend for Tinder Box by McClelland... it's really good, too. A guy at my local Tinder Box mixes up the house tobacco frequently to make new blends, and he's damn good at it. It's unfortunate he can't put together simpler blends (has to work with the pre-mixed stuff and then mix them AGAIN...as in, he can't just throw a little straight Perique or Latakia to spice things up...)--but all things considered... good smoke!

My TB store is excellent. Their pipestuff and cigarstuff ratio are about equal. In fact, with the humidor in the waaaay back it almost seems as if it's just a pipe store. :p Just last night it was the monthly Pipe Party, and it was pot luck, great liquor was donated, many guys bring tins from their cellar to give away, and it was buy one 50g tin get one half off--so, all in all, for there being no B&M store here, it's the next best thing!

I grew up in Tacoma WA and the Tinderbox was where I was introduced to the pipe. I still have and puff a Calabash I bought there. This was in 1981 when they were in the Tacoma Mall. One of their blenders was and still is Lane Limited if I'm not mistaken. If I recall, they did some blending of their own in the store. Norsegold, Alborg, and Captain Spice were favorites. Back then, pipes were more popular than cigars it seems.

The aroma of that store was intoxicating and was pretty much the talk of the town when they first opened.