Golden Sliced or Dunhill Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CipsterX

Reaction score
The only difference I can see and it may be just me but GS seems a tad bit stronger.

I opened my first tin of Dunhill flake the other day and I had the same thought. The flakes look the seem, tin note is the same heck, even the paper wrapper inside is same except for the picture.

GS has a bit of Perique does it not? I find GS spicier, which is more to my liking.

Different animals each. DH Flake is a straight Va, Orlik GS is a Vaper.

I find what they have in common is the hay-like, lemony quality of the Virginias.

If you're only going to smoke one or the other occasionally, I say go with the OGS. If you plan to keep one in a regular rotation (especially if its in a dedicated or semi-dedicated pipe), I think the Dunhill really, really, REALLY comes out of its shell once you start to get to know it.

I've never been disappointed by OGS, but then it never really surprises me. Dunhill flake is a bit pedestrian as a once-in-a-while smoke, but when I go back to it over and over, it starts to outshine a good many flakes.

For me, its Dunhill Flake. I think it is a bit more flavorful and definitely more strength. I do think they might have a similar/same topping as I find them very similar in a way. The price difference may be a tipping point for you, especially if strength isn't a must. In the end, both are high quality IMO.

The only two things they share are that they are flakes made from predominantly bright Virginias with OGS having Perique added. The Dunhill Flake is one of the BEST strait Va mixtures made and OGS is my fave VaPer. :twisted:

I think monbla nailed it. OGS is my everyday go to tobacco and I smoke Dunhill Flake 3-4 times a week. The price is better on OGS. :)
AJ

I smoke Dunhill Flake on a regular basis and enjoy it for it's sweet, rounded Virginia flavors. To me it has more depth than OGS and none of the grassy component that is prevalent in fresh OGS. I enjoy OGS much more with a lot of age(10 years plus) to it where as I enjoy the Dunhill fresh as well as aged. I still have not tasted perique in the OGS even though it is listed. It could be my vapors have just so much more that my taste buds are tainted and I cannot pick it up in OGS. Both blends are definitely great for cellaring.

For myself I'm a big fan of Dunhill Flake. It's a nice, smooth flake that burns great. I've only had it fresh, but would imagine it ages nice. Just stocked up some to try and age a little.

I love OGS for the first pipe of the morning after b'fast on a weekend when I don't have to work. Can't detect any p-weed in it despite it being claimed to be a VaPer.

Got in some DF but have yet to crack a tin. Need to get a round tuit!

:D

Cheers,

RR

I love 'em both, but which would I choose over the other? Cor blimey, that's a hard one....

Dunhill Flake gets my vote, based on nothing but consistency...

No twigs or stem-bits, just pure cleanliness, the longest I've managed to age some of this stuff is a mere 6 months...

Fantastic stuff, and as all the Dunhill 'branded' tobacco's, a silky quality that's hard to beat...

For me, it's a tossup. Love'm both. My taste buds are too old to pickup any Perique on the OGS. I have several older tins of the Dunhill. It's really good young; it's magnificent with five or more years on it!! I do not have any OGS that old to make a comparison.