Gone Fishin'

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelM

Reaction score
I'm heading out tomorrow afternoon for a week of trout chasing. I'll start in the Catskills and work my way up to Northern Vermont where I'll be visiting my dad. So I'll likely be offline till after the July 4th holiday. I just finished a marathon fly tying weekend and have my gear ready. Now the hard part, which tobaccos...oh, I'll also probably want clothes.
Have a great 4th of July all,
Mike.

Mike, Have a good one sir and as long as ya take the right pipe and tobacco nothing else maters, not even clothes. ;)

Sounds like fun!! just don't smoke while you're on the water !! I've lost more pipes while smoking while I was fishing !! :twisted: :twisted: Wait till your through for the day and sitting back and telling all those "fish tales" in the evening !! :twisted: :twisted:

Brewdude":6ub7y3y5 said:
Michael Can't wait to see the pics.

Cheers,

RR
As long as he remembers to take cloths at is! :lol!:

monbla256":e4ctxkl0 said:
Sounds like fun!! just don't smoke while you're on the water !! I've lost more pipes while smoking while I was fishing !! :twisted: :twisted:  Wait till your through for the day and sitting back and telling all those "fish tales" in the evening !! :twisted: :twisted:
They make these lanyard things that you wear around you neck for fly fishing to hold all the various tools and doo dads you might want while out on the water (line nippers, hemostats for hook removal, etc.). Don't see why you couldn't just put a loop around the stem of your pipe and attach it to one of those.  That way even if your pipe does slip out of your mouth, it still wouldn't go in the drink.  Although I suppose there might be the possibility of dumping a pipe full of hot dottle down the front of your waders and that could cause you to scare the fish...meh, maybe Monbla's right.  :afro:

Well, I survived the trip and had a great time.  The fishing was not the best because the rain was unrelenting.  Here is a typical view from the back of my car parked  a few yards from the Beaverkill.
IMAG0630_zpsdhqdembu.jpg

Those white lines are rain, and you can see that the gravel is absolutely saturated.  I had to take shelter under the hatchback with Carter Hall providing solace (And yes Ron, I wore clothes).
IMAG0632_zpsy1xkvs2i.jpg

Don't make fun of my fishing sunglasses, I've heard them all before.

The rain had been significant in the past few weeks and turned wadeable streams with lovely pools and pockets into roaring rivers.
IMAG0624_zpsu8p5ryna.jpg

I drove up to the upper end of the Willowemac and found a bit of river that was amenable to my style of fly fishing between downpours.  It was here that I had the catch of the trip, a nice fat brown trout that put up quite a fight.  I had the leader in my hand when he got off, so I'm counting him as a catch.  I know, no picture so it didn't happen.  
IMAG0623_zpsv45t5xky.jpg

Finally, I found a nice brook trout stream called Fir Brook if I remember correctly.  It was a nice relaxing place to fish and the brookies were active enough that i had some fun.
IMAG0622_zps3mq3jf9x.jpg

Towards the end of my time in the Catskills I visited the Catskill Fly Fishing Museum.  I try to make a stop there whenever I'm in the area.  They have a fantastic historical exhibit of classic Catskill style flys (my favorite variety to tie) and they are constantly rotating items in and out of displays.
IMAG0628_zpswy2nmlaq.jpg

The 4th of July weekend was spent in Northern Vermont with my dad, brother, sister, and niece and nephew.  We built a gate, cut some firewood, and worked on his truck.  No time for fishing, but that was okay because I was glad to dry out a bit.
I took Monbla's excellent advice and did not smoke while actually fishing.  I have enough trouble casting, so adding a pipe to the mix would get me dunked in the river or on fire, or both.  Overall it was a great trip.  As the saying goes, a lousy day fishing beats a good day working every time.
Mike.

MichaelM":c33n0zf0 said:
(And yes Ron, I wore clothes).
Good thing, doesn't look like a good place to skinny dip.

Glad ya had a good time anyway sir. ;)