Gone (sadly) but not forgotten...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idlefellow

Reaction score
Someone recently asked members to list their favorite tobaccos, restricting it to tobaccos currently available. That prompted me to wonder: what are your favorites that are no longer available? Some on my list have "match" blends out there; a few I've tried, and I must admit I've been disappointed each time. But maybe that's just me, and my idealized remembrance. My list...

1) Flying Dutchman. How I loved it; that angel hair cut, that aroma...with that cut it's a wonder I still have a tongue. But when smoked slowly...aaahhhh!
2) Brindley's Mixture. We were together for a long time, then somehow my pipes got laid by the wayside for a time, and when I picked them up again...alas, Brindley's was not to be found.
3) Balkan Sobranie #759. To my mind there's never been an English Mixture that approached it.
4) Rattray's Black Mallory. Well, maybe one...it's been "reissued" and I have a couple tins laid back, with high hopes.
5) Troost. The quintessential Dutch tobacco that the others aspired to, and the best logo out there. I loved it well.
6) Klompen Kloggen. I had a pouch or two back in my college days and kinda wondered, with that name, if I made it up. I remember a sort of peachy/apricot-y aromatic; just wanted to see if it's what I remembered.
7) Professor. An English blend made up by a local shop long gone. I played banjo for a school play once and they wanted to buy me a gift; I asked for a pound of it and got it! Can you imagine that happening today?
8) McClelland's British Woods. Last but definitely not least. After years of searching for "my Arcadia" (apologies to Sir James Barrie) I found it, only to have McClelland's go out of business. Seems a bit unfair.

Good question!! Here's my shot at it.

BS #759. What more can be said?? I was totally crushed when I last walked into JR Cigar only to be told "no more 759."
DH Standard Full. No longer available; several reside in my cellar!!
Troost Slices. Just opened my last tin!! The tin aroma is sublime!
Larus Bros. Edgeworth Sliced. I still have about three ozs. of the original pre-1974 tobacco. I treat myself to a bowl on special occasions. Fortunately, I also have eleven of the European-made large blue tins resting in the cellar.
A slew of McClelland's, and McClellands-made (PCCA, pipe shops, etc.). Many with Syrian Latweed (again, never thought it would disappear!!).
DH Dark Flake. Sure wish Peterson would bring this back. Have four tins sitting behind me!
Walnut. Absolutely love this 'baccy!! I acquired a significant amount from Brother Haebar some time ago. I also have one plastic-wrapped large tin I purchased at JR Cigar way back when!!
Barking Dog. Have about 10 ozs. acquired also from Brother Haebar. Awesomely good 'baccy!!
Troost Slices...The original Van Rossem's is sublime. I have one and a half tins remaining.

Klompen Kloggen...Never smoked the tobacco; sure do remember the good-looking blonde who did their TV commercials!!!!!!!!!! FWIW, FTRPLT

Last edited:
If GH still makes Grasmere Flake, it isn't available here! (please correct me if I'm wrong!)

Edgeworth is what I miss. I have a few tubs of Lane's remake of it. Then when Lane closed their Tucker GA. plant they discontinued that. So I have a few tubs of Lane Limited Ready Rubbed tucked away in my cellar for future use. I am a huge Middleton fan, well, I used to be. Walnut, Sugar Barrel and Cherry Blend I miss terribly. Thankfully a friend sent me the rest of his Walnut and Sugar Barrel and I made a trade for an unopened 10oz plastic tub of Cherry Blend. I also miss Kentucky Club Mild and I used to enjoy a pouch of Apple pipe tobacco once in a while.