Good Blends Not Talked About - Much

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow Puffs

Reaction score
Well there's Walnut, FVF, Penzance, etc...

How about blends that don't get much attention...

Recently I opened together McConnell's Special London, Astley's 109 and Wessex Campaign... of the three,
Wessex's Campaign just exceeded expectations
(all these blends have age on them).

I noticed someone ordered Dunbar
this has to be Esoterica's well kept secret

What lesser talked about blend are you enthralled with... the key word is "enthralled" as most blends have their merits :D

Dark Flake
Irish Flake
Dark Plug
Solani 633
Escudo
Best Brown
HOTW
Marlin Flake
Haddos
Cumberland
Happy Brown Bogie

Ashton Artisans Blend- a nice heavy funky blend... Yum.

C&D Rajah's Court- a spicy smelling and smoking hidden gem, one of their best.

GL Pease Cairo- one of his less talked about blends, toss up between Odyssey and Cairo as to which I'd say was his Crown achievement.

Robert McConnells Scottish Cake- mellowed out and smooth with no pretension of being something it isn't.

Great Hiatus
Brand: SHPC

VR Blend
Brand: SHPC
Blender: pipesandcigars.com

Pelican
Brand: Butera
Blender: Peter Stokkebye
Flavoring:
Coffee
Cut: Ribbon

C&D Old Joe Krantz

Ashton Black Parrot

Bufflehead Green Winged Teal

pipesandcigars.com Hearth & Home Classic Burley Kake

Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding

Great stuff that doesn't get much attention?

Gawith, Hoggarth & co. Curly Cut Regular.

Freyborg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug.

Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake.

Uhle's Blend 00.

Slow Puffs":oll2ggz8 said:
I noticed someone ordered Dunbar
this has to be Esoterica's well kept secret
I have experienced Dunbar that was wonderful and that was awful - seemingly 2 completely different animals. Received a tin a few years back that was one of the best smokes I've ever had, went out and bought a 1/2 pound that, four years later now, is barely smokeable. This was enough to keep me from ever buying it again.

Orlik's Golden Sliced. It's just about my favorite blend and it doesn't seem to have the pedigree that others have. I'm glad as that leaves more for me. :D

mcranies old master - the only person that ever talks about it is me :lol:

Hearth and Home Virginia Spice
Rich's First Smoke
Peretti's Cuban Mixture

From Rattray's Highland Targ, everybody raves about the other blends, but this never gets a mention.

S. Gawith's Balkan Flake, the raves go to Squadron Leader Commonwealth, etc., but nary a mention of the Balkan.

Also SG Navy Flake.

Al in Canada":rl23rbyu said:
From Rattray's Highland Targ, everybody raves about the other blends, but this never gets a mention.

S. Gawith's Balkan Flake, the raves go to Squadron Leader Commonwealth, etc., but nary a mention of the Balkan.

Also SG Navy Flake.
Geez Al you beat me to it, Balkan Flake is one of those workhorse blends that does exactly what it should everytime, deliver latakia served up on a bed of Va's, end of story...and Highland Targe, one of my first post Frog loves that assisted in my decent into latafreania.

Artisan's Blend suffers from the constant comaprison to Nightcap, but I think it is one of the best blend out there of it's genus.

One of my I forget that I love until I see it somewhere is Star of the East. So pundgent and thick with latakia and orientals it almost guarantees a peaceful contemplative pipe because so few people can stand to be within nose range of it.

Usually folks talk about Rattray's Old Gowrie, Marlin Flake, and Hal O' Wynd as being the best, but having tried them my Rattray preference is for Brown Clunee and is one of my staples.

Jim

McClelland Navy Cavendish flies under the radar.

And add another to the chorus for Ashton Artisan's Blend.

Irish Brown Twist
Bosun CP
Louisiana fl.
Kendal fl.
Dark Birdeye
Dark Shag
Beacon{PCCA]
Kendal plug
Peterson's 3p

Ol'Dawg":ptvyghfa said:
Usually folks talk about Rattray's Old Gowrie, Marlin Flake, and Hal O' Wynd as being the best, but having tried them my Rattray preference is for Brown Clunee and is one of my staples.
Ditto the Brown Clunee.

Also, Esoterica Tilbury and McConnell Red Virginia.

Includes a few that others have mentioned...

G.L. Pease
Kensington
Piccadilly
Samarra
Stratford

Gawith & H
Dark Plug
Happy Brown Bogie

Mac Baren
Vanilla Cream Flake

McClelland
Blakeney's Best Latakia Flake