Good Books on the History of Tobacco?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It doesn't get much better than this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Book-Pipes-Tobacco-Carl-Ehwa/dp/0394470001
51JUCq%2BVmXL._SS500_.jpg

Tobacco: A Cultural History of How an Exotic Plant Seduced Civilization by Ian Gately, available from Amazon and possibly your local public library.

shootist51":5nqdfi2r said:
Tobacco: A Cultural History of How an Exotic Plant Seduced Civilization by Ian Gately, available from Amazon and possibly your local public library.
Have you read this one? I saw it on amazon but the reviews made it look like it was not much more than a polemic for the wonders of tobacco.

I don't so much want a book on the history of pipe smoking or pipe tobacco but tobacco in general. A thorough book should include this topic but I don't want it to be that exclusively.

jdkonzem":2w7acaj7 said:
shootist51":2w7acaj7 said:
Have you read thone? I saw it on amazon but the reviews made it look like it was not much more than a polemic for the wonders of tobacco.

I don't so much want a book on the history of pipe smoking or pipe tobacco but tobacco in general. A thorough book should include this topic but I don't want it to be that exclusively.
Ehwas book pretty extensively covers tobacco (haven't read it yet, but flipped thru). The Dunhill book is mostly a history of pipes, but has some historical tobacco information as well. For less than $10, it's hard to pass up the Dunhill (My copy of Ewhas book was less than $15 delivered, also a deal.

Tobacco: A Cultural History of How an Exotic Plant Seduced Civilization by Ian Gately

This one in particular I am interested of anyone has read.

jdkonzem":c8kqeins said:
Tobacco: A Cultural History of How an Exotic Plant Seduced Civilization by Ian Gately

This one in particular I am interested of anyone has read.
I bought this book, but haven't read it yet.

Finished reading "Smoke of the Gods" (think thats the title) by and author named Burns. Great read for anyone interested.

Years ago, I read 'Leaves From A Tobacco Man's Log' about Herman Lane. Great book with not only his history and Lane Limited, but some general history of pipes and tobaccos as well.

leaves10.jpg

Guess I'm speculating now, but I just bought another copy of Rare Smoke on Amazon, thru a Goodwill vendor for .99, $5 shipped.

Joning the party kind of late, but the Gately book, "Tobacco," is a thorough treatise on the topic. It's kind of dense, the sort of book that lends itself to "dipping into" and , therefore, defies a succinct summary, at least one that would improve on its sub-title,"A cultural history of how an exotic plant seduced civilization." It's a good read.

I just picked up a used copy of this one, and I'm really enjoying it while on the throne. :D

5111ZKB1SBL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

I can definitely think of one to avoid, Poison Plants by someone I cant remember but will refer to as idiot. In this little turd of a volume, under the guise of scholarship, the author pretty much just bashed tobacco much like a religious fanatic bashes other religions, referring to it as "the devils pubic hair" and "the worst plague ever to be thrust onto mankind". Much like "people dont kill people, guns kill people", this lady insisted that tobacco itself is inherently evil and should be outlawed and eradicated from the face of the earth. Absolutely turned my stomach and I promptly took it out to the dumpster and dropkicked it in, which was something, being an avid bibliophile, I had never before considered doing in my wildest dreams. The dumpster, however, seemed the only proper place for such GARBAGE.....it still pisses me off whenever I think of it....