Good Evening, From a New Guy

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sloppy Joe Hemingway

Reaction score
Howdy, all!

I'm a long time lurker who has finally taken the plunge. I've been smoking a pipe for about six months, slowly learning my way around pipes and tobaccos. I've got a pretty sensitive and eclectic palette, so I love me some aromatics (Hobbit's Weed is delicious), Penzance, and Hamborger Veermaster.

One thing I need to do is get a good pipe. The one I'm smoking is a cheesy no-name briar (maybe?) with a plastic stem. When I finally realized I could taste the differences in tobaccos, I realized they all had a strange sidenote... The stem of my cheap pipe added a delicious hot plastic taste! So, now that I have a decent cellar started, that'll be my next purchase. Any advice on this is appreciated!

A little about me. I'm a native of the Chicago area. My family contains a number of pipe smokers, so I come by this past time honestly. I'm a former Marine, which gives me a tremendous desire to travel and explore. I'm also an avid reader (Hemingway and Ian Fleming are my favs) which I find is a great companion for a good pipe of tobacco.

More than anything, I'm glad to be here amongst the brotherhood, ready to learn!

Kind Regards,

-Josh

Welcome, Sloppy Joe! Lots of decent pipes out there for $40-100; start looking at them on line and think about somethings that could stick with you for the rest of your life if you like 'em!

DrT999":4xwakib3 said:
Welcome, Sloppy Joe! Lots of decent pipes out there for $40-100; start looking at them on line and think about somethings that could stick with you for the rest of your life if you like 'em!
Thanks for all the welcoming words!

Yeah, I've gotta upgrade. I know I'll enjoy the tobac even more once I get something decent to smoke it from. My local B&M is small, so it's pretty lacking in tinned tobaccos (and it's ridiculously expensive to buy locally because of taxes, sadly) but they have a great selection of pipes, new and estate. I've got my eye on one...

Welcome Josh! Isn't Iwan Ries in Chicago? Probably about a million or so pipes there.

ejames":wvoannr1 said:
Welcome Josh! Isn't Iwan Ries in Chicago? Probably about a million or so pipes there.
This exactly being Chciago head on down to Iwan Ries https://www.iwanries.com and check out pipes there. I am sure there you will find one to your liking. Nording, Stanwell, Brebbia, and Peterson are all easily found between 70 and 100 and should perform well for you. Welcome to BoB where we will most definitely enable your bouts with PAD and TAD. Hope to see you around the boards.

kaiser83":0q8im3ug said:
ejames":0q8im3ug said:
This exactly being Chciago head on down to Iwan Ries https://www.iwanries.com and check out pipes there. I am sure there you will find one to your liking. Nording, Stanwell, Brebbia, and Peterson are all easily found between 70 and 100 and should perform well for you. Welcome to BoB where we will most definitely enable your bouts with PAD and TAD. Hope to see you around the boards.
I see they also carry Brigham pipes -- if you don't mind a slightly thicker mouthpiece than most, Brighams are v good classic-shaped pipes

kaiser83":oc3c78mr said:
ejames":oc3c78mr said:
This exactly being Chciago head on down to Iwan Ries and check out pipes there. I am sure there you will find one to your liking. Nording, Stanwell, Brebbia, and Peterson are all easily found between 70 and 100 and should perform well for you. Welcome to BoB where we will most definitely enable your bouts with PAD and TAD. Hope to see you around the boards.
I'm actually out in the suburbs a bit (but if you're not from the area you'd have no clue where I'm at :lol: )... I'll have to take a trip into the city to check out Iwan Ries! Thanks for the head's up!