Good idea, bad idea..........

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozark Wizard

Reaction score
Good idea.........

Having a nice bowl of 4 year old McClelland 2035.

Bad idea..........

Pairing it with grapefruit juice.

The end

Love grapefruit juice. Not familiar with 2035, although a quick check on TR shows it's a Dark Navy Flake. Hmmm.....wonder if it's anything like Dark Star which I've had many moons ago and don't recall much about, except that it was a bugger to light and keep lit. Think I enjoyed it OK as far as I can recollect.

Oh, and I'm not supposed to have grapefruit juice according to my hypertension meds. Bummer.........

Cheers,

RR

You should have asked me before slurping grapefruit juice. I could have told you it was going to be a nasty experience. I know there are millions that love it but I wouldn't give five cents for all the grapefruit juice in the world. How anyone can allow that vile stuff go into their mouth is a complete mystery to me. (No offence meant to those that can drink it.) The 2035 is just fine by itself but if you want something cold to drink with it try some nice home brewed iced tea. Anytime I smoke my pipe, which is pretty much all the time, I always have a glass of iced tead by my side. Sorry you had such a bad experience while smoking a fine tobacco. Hopefully it won't taint your opinion of the 2035. :)

AJ

I like the tobacco just fine! It's just that when it follows grapefruit juice it tastes very much like a spoon full of horseradish and sawdust. It was just not one of those "You got your chocolate in my peanut butter" experiences. Quite an eye opener, and I'll stick to water, coffee or beer for my 2035 accompaniment.

I did that once too...pairing grapefruit juice with a pipe. It was about as bad as drinking orange juice after brushing your teeth.
I've often wondered how rooibos tea would taste paired with either a pipe or cigar. I imagine it would probably taste pretty good and being that it is caffeine free could be enjoyed in the evening without keeping you up all night.

Brewdude":qj8i5ai6 said:
Love grapefruit juice. Not familiar with 2035, although a quick check on TR shows it's a Dark Navy Flake. Hmmm.....wonder if it's anything like Dark Star which I've had many moons ago and don't recall much about, except that it was a bugger to light and keep lit. Think I enjoyed it OK as far as I can recollect.

Oh, and I'm not supposed to have grapefruit juice according to my hypertension meds. Bummer.........

Cheers,

RR
2035 is an excellent tobacco Rande, well worth indulging yourself, it is a bugger to get going as memory serves (we don't get it here) but the velvet texture to the smoke and the subtle background flavours every now and then ebbing to the fore, man that was a good smoke, bit strong for you Buddy but in a smaller bowl it would be a great smoke for you to experience. :)

Briar Spirit":q4tqgcsv said:
Brewdude":q4tqgcsv said:

Cheers,

RR
2035 is an excellent tobacco Rande, well worth indulging yourself, it is a bugger to get going as memory serves (we don't get it here) but the velvet texture to the smoke and the subtle background flavours every now and then ebbing to the fore, man that was a good smoke, bit strong for you Buddy but in a smaller bowl it would be a great smoke for you to experience. :)
Thanks for the testimonial Kirk mate. I'm sure I'll get a round tuit in due course.

Cheers,

RR