Good Representative of a VaPer and other questions ...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steverobinett

Reaction score
Hello Brothers (and Sisters)

I'm a fairly new pipe smoker (3-4) months and have been taken thus far to Latakia blends (Nightcap and Dunhill 965) , am ready to explore since there are so very many choices.

I've done some searching in the forum and haven't found a good description of what I can expect from a VaPer.  I have McClelland No 2015 on order but would love to hear some seasoned  opinions before it arives.  I realize that everyone's experience is different and I am certain that my own tastes will change over time --- that's the beauty of this pursuit!
Cheers from Montana
Steve

I see you have Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture listed in you tobaccos. That's a pretty good VaPer right there.

Give Escudo a shot, too.

2015 is a good choice. It represents the genre well and it will age very well.

My tastes run toward straight VA blends, or blends that have smaller amounts of perique (like Hall o the Wynd). It's not that I don't like perique, but I just seem to really like blends that don't have too much of it.

I typically find that the perique in blends like 2015 or Escudo tends to ebb and flow throughout the smoke, which keeps things interesting.

I wouldn't stress too much about what a smoke "should" be like. Concentrate on what the smoke is like to you. If you get hung up looking for something in a smoke that isn't there, you are likely to miss a lot of what is there. If that makes any sense.

Solani Virginia Flake with Perique. A nice flake that won't put you off the genre imo.

I got my hands on some Cool Hand Fluke. That is a great blend that is mellow with little bite. There is the perique spiciness, but it works really well.

Just my opinion, but perique kicks up what in essence is just cigarette tobacco. [He ducks a flying ashtray, and moves downstage] I almost died trying to finish a small tin of Union Square, a non-augmented virginia. It lends an obvious spiciness to the blend and, for me, makes the blend yield the nuttiness that I associate with VaPers.

juanmedusa":8yudfvof said:
Solani Virginia Flake with Perique. A nice flake that won't put you off the genre imo.
I agree. Another brilliant R. L. Will concoction and my personal favorite, is Long Golden Flake. I bit pricey but worth every penny.

I love VaPers, and I love GL Pease Telegraph Hill more than any others. Hard to go wrong with St. James Woods as well.

Two come to my mind:
McClelland's Blakeney's Best Arcadian Ribbon

C&D Bayou Morning

Though I'm not big on Perique heavy VaPers, I'll have to concur with St. James Woods and add Formers Cross Grain Flake for something Perique lighter !! :twisted: :twisted:

Richard Burley":zv5gf3nt said:
Just my opinion, but perique kicks up what in essence is just cigarette tobacco.  [He ducks a flying ashtray, and moves downstage]  I almost died trying to finish a small tin of Union Square, a non-augmented virginia.  It lends an obvious spiciness to the blend and, for me, makes the blend yield the nuttiness that I associate with VaPers.
Greg says US contains ONLY Virginia's ! I've not tasted ANY Periqueness to it though it's not the best straight Va I've had! ( Greg needs to spend some time with the folks in KC to learn about Va's IMHO :twisted: :twisted: )

I know you can't get it in the US, But if you ever get a chance to do a trade with someone in the UK, Askwith Kake is a must try.

Other than that try some GLP Triple Play!

monbla256":pwetjx3d said:
Richard Burley":pwetjx3d said:
Just my opinion, but perique kicks up what in essence is just cigarette tobacco.  [He ducks a flying ashtray, and moves downstage]  I almost died trying to finish a small tin of Union Square, a non-augmented virginia.  It lends an obvious spiciness to the blend and, for me, makes the blend yield the nuttiness that I associate with VaPers.
Greg says US contains ONLY Virginia's ! I've not tasted ANY Periqueness to it though it's not the best straight Va I've had! ( Greg needs to spend some time with the folks in KC to learn about Va's IMHO :twisted: :twisted: )
That was my point. I disliked US for its lack of anything other than cigarettish-ness. For the record, I also like McClelland better than any other virginia blenders, in general. That tomato scent thing is B.S.

Bullwinkle":xgy60cfu said:
get yourself a tin of Dunhill De Luxe Navy Roll..  

Haven't had that one but I quite like Davidoff Flake Medallions. It has a Cavendish element though so not as true a Va/Per.

I'm primarily a VaPer guy, and all of the suggestions here are ones that I'd recommend as well.

What I reach for most often is 2015 (which has been spiked w/15% added Perique).

And don't forget about Sammy G's St. James Flake. Not real heavy on the Perique, but it is somewhat elegant and smooth with a few yrs age on it.

Cheers,

RR

I will second Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake for the price. It's half the price or less than many blends listed, but tastes much better than that would lead you to believe. If you're not sure you'll like the genre, it's a good representation but won't cost you much if you don't like it.

Heartfelt thanks to all -apparently  I've already enjoyed a VaPer (Dunhill Elizabethan) and didn't even know it!I am indeed a newbie, but getting less so every day. I've listed all the recommendations and look forward to sampling them in the coming months.

I appreciate the advice about not being too concerned with labels, and finding what I enjoy, but I am a geek by profession, so I love to have terminology :twisted:

Thanks again for all the info and the  warm welcome to BoB.

Cheers from Montana
Steve