Good Room Note and Good Taste for Newb?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wintermute

Reaction score
So my wife'll let me smoke a pipe as long as it smells "good". So basically, I'm looking for aromatics that not only smell good, but taste good, as well as any non-aromatics that might appeal to someone who hasn't acquire a sophisticated palate that also smells good to non-smokers. Thanks.

So far I've smoked a B&M vanilla blend that's pretty good, just picked up an envelope of Captain Black White (if anything it'll smell great, and it seems to get surprisingly good reviews) and am thinking about picking up some Mac Baren Vanilla Flake and Navy Flake.

Arromatics are the most popular among non-smokers for room note. Latakia (English) blends are the least popular, often compared to burning wood or herbs.

I just tried some butternut burley and liked it, kinda a honey/vanilla flavor with room note being.

I've grown out of arromatics though I still smoke them on occasion. I like maple flavor. Maybe Autumn Eve from C&D would be a good one for you.

I've tried Pina Colada recently and hated it.

I think you may be on to something with the Mac Baren Navy Flake. Many of the MB tobaccos, non-aros included, have a sweet topnote to some degree that makes a pleasant room aroma.

GL Pease's Barbary Coast (which I think someone else endorsed in another thread) also has a great room note.

Ditto the Barbary Coast. For a great room note with some real tobacco flavor as well you might try Sam Gawith's Celtic Talisman.

You may want to try CAO/Dan Tobacco's Blue Note, a classic aro made from quality tobacco; very favorable room note on this one!

A lot of people like Boswell's for aromatics -- try Majestic 586 or Christmas Cookie.

I have not tried it, but a lot of pipesters seem to like C&D Autumn Evening, as Texas Outlaw suggested.

Have fun, and happy hunting!

Trout Bum":acaz05a5 said:
I have not tried it, but a lot of pipesters seem to like C&D Autumn Evening, as Texas Outlaw suggested.

Have fun, and happy hunting!
Autumn Evening tastes like Pipeworks and Wilkes maple cavendish..
...only with nicotine! :tongue:

I usually smoke these around people that dont smoke and they like them

Lanes 1Q--vanilla flavored
Lanes TK6-Cherry flavored
Lanes MV1000- a vanilla virginia

Butternut burly
Sir walter Raleigh

pipes &cigars virginia spice--room note is fantastic

The Mac Barens you are considering are both decent smelling for sure.

If my wife complains about a tobacco, I grab a tin of commonwealth and smoke a great big bowl of that, and really let it soak into my beard and clothes. "It could always be worse!"

I'd have to say there have been some great recommendations here already (with a notable exception about getting a new wife :p ). Many, myself included have difficulty with many a MacBaren's Blend and tongue bite.

My short list for gentle aromatics:

GLP: Barbary Coast
GLP: Haddo's Delight (fairly strong Vaper, sauced heavily with Rum)
MacBaren's: Plumcake (oddly this one doesn't bite me and is a favorite of mine around the holidays)
Benjamin Hartwell: Evening Stroll (nice Virginia base and a very nice Vanilla room note)
Dan Tobacco: Sweet Vanilla Honeydew (nice coco-nilla flavoring)
Samuel Gawith (SG): 1792 (a bit strong for a newbie, however the room note of this one is divine!)
SG: Kendal Cream Flake (a very mild mixture, nice rose germanium, cream topping medium bodied Lakeland Flake)
C&D: Autumn Evening (maple flavored and very mellow)
C&D After Hours Flake (Red and Bright Virginias with spiced Rum)
McClelland: Deep Hollow (a very nice Virginia mixture with a light vanilla flavoring)
Peter Stokkebye (PS): Luxury Twist Flake (Virginia Flake with a mild sweet citrus topping)
Hearth and Home Series: Capital Stairs nutty Burley, sweet Virginia and Perique, and finished off with Deertongue (a vanilla-like herb)

Hope this helps a bit :pipe:

Iwan Ries 3 Star Blue,an aroma that makes women want to have your babies. :twisted:

Winslow :sunny:

I prefer stuff that tastes good
to stuff that smells good.

(If I have "room note," my window fan isn't
doing the job and I'm gonna hear about it.) ;)

Great list from kilted1. My wife comments favourably on Exhausted Rooster. It really is a quality tobacco.

Hey there, I've always had great reactions to Planta's Black Vanilla Flake, its a bit pricey but it tastes and smells great!

Hey I just did a mini review (in REVIEWS) of Dan Tobaccos Devil's Holiday, nice aroma and flavor.

Room note is so subjective. I wish there was a great tasting cherry blend with satisfying strength. Most are too mild, or the cherry goes up in smoke with no flavor.

Some not mentioned, C&D has several flavored blends made mostly with Green River Burley. I think there is peach, apricot, possibly cherry. I have had the apricot. It's not bad. Both C&D and LJ Peretti have a large selection of burley blends with flavors/scents that will remind you of what Grandpa used to smoke.

The Gawith companies both have English and some American aromatics. Many quite strong with various scents, toppings, flavors, mostly floral like. Some interesting chocolate type scents.