Got my first Brigham ! made in Canada.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustyRoundup

Reaction score
Man ! this is a clean pipe !
I actually won 2 Brighams,and they came today.but I have a buddy up the road, that smokes a pipe, and I told him I would try and find a nice briar for him. The other one was a dandy too. But anyhow ,I ran it over and gave it to him just a bit ago.

Both have the aluminum tenon, and seem to have been cleaned up and shined up .
Well, here it is , my first Made in Canada Brigham

I did an alcohol clean up on its innards, with wire bristle pipe cleaners, so I'm going to let it air out for a few days before I start smoking it.

Does anyone know if this a "Lovett" style?(because thats what it was listed as) or is it a "Canadian" style?
The bottom has been sanded to where I cant see the number, and I can only barely see the Brigham , and Made in Canada.

Dusty, if the stem is wide and flat, it's a Lumberman. If the stem is round, it's a Lovat.

Nice ! Thanks EC.
Its round, so its a Lovat.
I guess I spelled it wrong the first time too :oops:

A Canadian has a wide, flattened stummel. This one is wider than most, but you get the general idea. This pipe is a Lumberman, however. The stem is a comfort stem, rather than tapered.

The traditional British Lovat shape is a long ROUND stem with a short saddle bit with a Billiard shaped bowl. The Traditional British Canadian shape had a long briar stem which was OVAL in shape and usually a short Tapered bit. This is as I learnrd 'em, but we now live in the 21st century where every man has the right to dsiregerd what was and have what he wants. So feel free to call it as you want. Me I'd call it a sq shanked Lovat :p

monbla256":gssfemxw said:
...we now live in the 21st century where every man has the right to dsiregerd what was and have what he wants. So feel free to call it as you want.
Considering my line of work, I could argue that any pipe I smoke is a Lumberman. :p
Great looking pipe, Dusty. It's a great feeling to finally get one you've searching for. Enjoy it!

Good look'in pipe Dusty. Congratulations! I remember you mentioning wanting a "Made in Canada" Brigham Canadian, or such. That's a ruggedly handsome one.

--Rich

Thanks you guys,
I think its pretty darn nice!
I want to try it out now, but like I said, I gave it a pretty good alcohol bath and scrub earlier, so i better let it air out a few days.

Besides, I have some of those rock maple inserts on theyre way, so I'll wait for them.

Nice snag Dusty. Glad you were able to find one. Can't wait to hear how it smokes.

Wait, which part was aluminum? Is it an insert? I'm just curious.

Otherwise, yep, nice Lovat. 8) I'm becoming more and more fond of the Canadian/Lovat/Lumberman/Liverpool styles.

Beautiful pipe, Dusty, Go ahead and smoke it, the alcohol is long gone already!! I want to hear how he/she smokes!!!!!!!

I'm becoming more and more fond of the Canadian/Lovat/Lumberman/Liverpool styles. [/quote]

Me, I also LOVE them !!!!! :bounce:

I know pretty much nothing about Brigham pipes so I should probably keep my mouth shut....

On "modern" Brighams' isn't the rk mpl insert fitted with a metal thread on the end that mates to the stem, and otherwise the entire insert is suspended "au natural" in the shank?

Addendum:
Dusty, .... Is it possible that that metal tube is removeable, and is in place as an air flow restricter should one choose not to use the rock maple insert..?

The filters haven't changed - they have a tapered aluminum end that sort of "sockets" in the end of the aluminum tube. This suspends the wooden part of the filter, more or less.

The new brighams have a plastic or teflon tenon in place of the aluminum, that's the only difference. Good workmanlike pipes, those old Brighams. Can't kill the suckers, and the smoke great.

Thanks for the info and pictures, gents. I'm not a fan of metal in my pipes, for no other reason than I can always seem to taste it. Stingers, Falcon pipes, and probably these guys are out for me, but it's an interesting design.

Yeah ,,,BUT, kyle,
the wood insert is to give you smoke on wood, further down the tube, than it would without it.
they wanted to reduce the length of vulcanite to smoke contact.

The smoke isnt touching the aluminum, because the rock maple insert is long.

when i get the filters . i'll post a pic for ya

I just went to the Brigham site to read about their system. Pretty interesting… They say you can wash the filters, but make a point of saying not to do that too often. I would swab them with high-proof alcohol because I’m CHEAP, and would like to get the most out the filters. The filter color chart at the bottom of the page suggests you can get up to 20+ smokes out of one. That could be pretty long lasting depending on the scope of your rotation.

Ohhhhhhhhh I see now. Okay.

pipe%20filter%20graphic.jpg

Interesting! Good info, again! :cheers:

Oddly, I like vulcanite, I just hate the discoloration. The smoke isn't so much what I "taste" with rubber stems, it's the actual mouth contact--which, consequently, is solved by acrylic stems. :lol:

*shrug* They seem like neat pipes. I'm definitely intrigued. I may have to keep an eye out for one, now.