Got my new pipe in, but what to smoke first

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stogiegila

Reaction score
OK,

I just received my new Brigham Voyager Bent Apple http://www.iwanries.com/brigham-voyager-136-P10786C123.cfm and I want to start this one off correctly. I'd like to try and dedicate this to one type of tobacco but it seems that a little trial and error will be needed.

The question is, what should I start off with.

I have some Vapers and some English blends:

Peterson Escudo
GL Pease Embarcadero
Esoterica Margate
McClelland Frog Morton
McClelland St. James Woods

I also have these due in any day:
Peterson Old Dublin
Butera Pelican
C&D Bow Legged Bear

Any recommendations which should go first? Is it better to start with a VA blend and if it doesn't seem to smoke right move to a heavier latikia, or does it not matter?

Thanks

My two favorites are Escudo and Embarcadero. In my opinion Embarcadero requires a dedicated pipe to really enjoy because there are so few tobaccos that resemble it. With VaPers like Escudo you don't have too many problems with smoking different VaPer blends in the same pipe because so many of them have a similar profile.

absolutely gorgious pipe, Stogiegila. i'd be tempted to dedicate it either to englishes or the virginia/vapers. latakia, at least for me, really sticks around and is best kept to it's own pipe.

my vote would be for the escudo. if you find that for whatever reason the pipe doesn't smoke virginias well, switching to the english won't be a problem. the other way around, well, you might have to deal with some ghosts.

have fun. did i tell you i love that pipe!

Agreed Gents!!
Lat blends Ghost and it is best then to dedicate the pipe to lat blends only! This may limit your options.
I break pipes in with ribbon cut tobacco's as they don't smoke as hot as flakes, IMHO!!!

I hit the first couple of bowls with something basic, no mess no fuss. Prince Albert is always my first choice until the pipe settles in. It depends what you like really. Just smoke slow and cool at first.
Va's Vapers and Burley based baccy can be smoked in the same pipe leaving your options wider open.

Good luck and enjoy!!
Going to break in a new Pete 2010 Poy tomorrow with Muddler!!!! Looking forward to it!!

Piet Binsbergen":9rks4ex3 said:
Agreed Gents!!
Lat blends Ghost and it is best then to dedicate the pipe to lat blends only! This may limit your options.
I break pipes in with ribbon cut tobacco's as they don't smoke as hot as flakes, IMHO!!!

I hit the first couple of bowls with something basic, no mess no fuss. Prince Albert is always my first choice until the pipe settles in. It depends what you like really. Just smoke slow and cool at first.
Va's Vapers and Burley based baccy can be smoked in the same pipe leaving your options wider open.
take this man's advice! he's deflowered...er, i mean...broke in a lot of pipes. (didn't think of the heat issue. good point!)

Thanks for the input everyone. And thanks for the complement on the pipe Bruins. The picture doesn't do the pipe justice. The look and feel of it are quite nice.

I initiated it with some Escudo, of which I definitely over packed, but with some subtle adjusting I was able to smoke the whole bowl down without major problems.

The pipe smoked very nicely. I definitely think this will work great with Embarcadero, so I may just dedicate it to that tobacco. No latakia will touch this baby. I'll save those blends for my GBD and Savinelli.

Piet, what pipe is that in your avatar? I love the look of it.

Stogiegila":xvgemxjt said:
be careful stogiegila! piet has this disorder where you tell him you like his pipe, he sends it to you!

bruins":bizvwpzz said:
Stogiegila":bizvwpzz said:
be careful stogiegila! piet has this disorder where you tell him you like his pipe, he sends it to you!
Hey Bruins,
A Savinelli 320 KS Trevi, sorry bro, not this time, it was a special gift from my bro David Peterson from the virtual smoking Lounge in Michigan!!!
Pick another one!!!

Piet Binsbergen":bdqlsw8m said:
bruins":bdqlsw8m said:
Stogiegila":bdqlsw8m said:
Hey Bruins,
A Savinelli 320 KS Trevi, sorry bro, not this time, it was a special gift from my bro David Peterson from the virtual smoking Lounge in Michigan!!!
Pick another one!!!
no! i know you. bad piet! bad! (i am curious as to how many pipes you have in your collection. may be none of my damn business, however you asked me the same question, so may be not...)

Bruins, I dunno really, have not counted of late, I can tell you that I got rid of almost 50 this year which left me with 12, I think I am up to about 45 again, but this time all high ends!!!!
Pipes come and go around here, I have this philosophy that if someone really likes it more than I do, they must have it!!
It always comes back to me in the end bro!!!!
Like you and Valky and Steve and Rob, and Pete and JP and Dover and so on, the list goes on.........
I give away and get given again, weird how that works bro!!
You have a little box on it's way too man!! your rotation is way to small for our liking. you are going to F. those pipes you have up!

jeeze piet, i don't know what to say, bro...(but if you need me i'll be sitting out by the mailbox.) you're right though, things do come around, and i still have your addy!

bruins":hfs935zb said:
jeeze piet, i don't know what to say, bro...(but if you need me i'll be sitting out by the mailbox.) you're right though, things do come around, and i still have your addy!
Want nothing in return bro, will give you the heads up as soon as I mail it!!! be next week, see it as a celebration of friendship!!
Valky and Nitschke are on my most wanted list also!!!

Wow Piet.

I feel totally incompetent with the fe pipes I have. I do like that style\shape and found out it takes the balsa filter, which I like even more.

I will have to put that on my Christmas list.

Thanks

Stogiegila":n2ggb2gh said:
Wow Piet.

I feel totally incompetent with the fe pipes I have. I do like that style\shape and found out it takes the balsa filter, which I like even more.

Thanks
It is a wicked smoker and the best and cheapest place in the world to get them is from my buddy David at:
www.virtualsmokinglounge.com
tell him I sent ya!!!

Trout Bum":k0m2i5ry said:
Stogie - Great looking Brigham, mister... Enjoy!
Thanks Trout,

I really like the feel of the carving on it. It also feels much smaller and lighter than it is, and it has a nice size bowl. My first bowl went very well with it. :cheers:

Piet Binsbergen":8j8s0pbh said:
Stogiegila":8j8s0pbh said:
Wow Piet.

Thanks
It is a wicked smoker and the best and cheapest place in the world to get them is from my buddy David at:
www.virtualsmokinglounge.com
tell him I sent ya!!!
Thanks for the link Piet. I bookmarked it for future use ;)