Got myself a new JHW. It's a monster.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hater

Reaction score
So I came across this pipe for sale on another forum and ell in love with it. The picture posted was this:

The stamp on the shank is an "HW" with the outline of a pipe next to it. This pipe is awesome! The grain is beautiful, straight, and fiery, and it is set off perfectly by a natural rim. It is just under 6 1/2" long, 2 1/4" wide, and about 2 1/2" tall. The tobacco chamber is over 2" deep and 1" diameter.
Pipes033.jpg

The thing that really makes this an all day smoker is how unbelievably light weight it is. this pipe is actually light enough to clench comfortably for long periods of time.
I did a little research when I got it and saw that the stamp was the same as one I already had. you can see more about the pipe maker here if you are so inclined; http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=JHW_Pipes

anyway, on to my first ever pipe pictures. Yeah they are shitty but I'm sure I'll get better in time haha

ztemgj.jpg

2dad4sj.jpg

2zfmw5d.jpg
\

Thanks Yak and George.

Say, anyone have a good way of getting the charring off the rim? Ive used a toothbrush with saliva so far and it took a bit off but I'd love to see if I can get it clean

Yak":w0xfejaw said:
Interesting !

:face:
This.

It's very delicately unbalanced, if there ever was a term. Looks great to hold onto while smoking, otherwise, I'd be afraid that big, beautiful bowl might snap that skinny stem. Sorry for the accidental alliteration.

Nice pipe, sir. 8)

Top : You might want to consider just learning to live with it.

Plateaux / Crack tops like that are such boogers to keep clean that many (most ?) just concede the issue after a while as not worth the effort.

Kyle Weiss":kdexqvi3 said:
Yak":kdexqvi3 said:
Interesting !

This.

It's very delicately unbalanced, if there ever was a term. Looks great to hold onto while smoking, otherwise, I'd be afraid that big, beautiful bowl might snap that skinny stem. Sorry for the accidental alliteration.
Intersting you should bring that up as I thought the same thing upon looking at it in the picture and then upon its arrival I thought the thought a seond time. Even now after looking at it for hours that thought pops up in my mind. Its an odd proportion for sure, the bowl is freaking HUGE. I can fit my sausage like thumb all the way to the knuckle in it and it dwarfs all other pipes i have but in an odd way the proportion grows on you upon looking it. The feminine stem almost seems to make sence. Kai Nielson is an intersting pipe maker.

It's the view from beneath (& of the top) that seals the deal, IMHO.

Hater":hl5l3gsw said:
Intersting you should bring that up as I thought the same thing upon looking at it in the picture and then upon its arrival I thought the thought a seond time. Even now after looking at it for hours that thought pops up in my mind. Its an odd proportion for sure, the bowl is freaking HUGE. I can fit my sausage like thumb all the way to the knuckle in it and it dwarfs all other pipes i have but in an odd way the proportion grows on you upon looking it. The feminine stem almost seems to make sence. Kai Nielson is an intersting pipe maker.
Even though as you say, "... the bowl is freaking Huge", it ALL works !! And the spiral carving presents the grain in a most attractive manner !!
As for the charred plateau bowl top, spit and scrub, spit and scrub :p Personally, I'd just load that puppy up with some Royal Blend, or Oriental #14 or Virginia #27 and fire it up :p

nice grab. A lot of Jack's pipes were a bit on the wild side you could say but are great smokers. A lot of history behind the man and his pipes.

A very nice and interesting piece of American pipemaking history! Congrats! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Kyle Weiss":pjxyahl9 said:
It's very delicately unbalanced, if there ever was a term. Looks great to hold onto while smoking, otherwise, I'd be afraid that big, beautiful bowl might snap that skinny stem.
It kind of reminds of a Nachwalter/Jemelka/Briar Workshop pipe that I've had for a while. Big Danish freehand style bowl, with a thin, delicate shank. It's the middle pipe in the pic:

Harlock999":1tommwwc said:
Kyle Weiss":1tommwwc said:
It's very delicately unbalanced, if there ever was a term. Looks great to hold onto while smoking, otherwise, I'd be afraid that big, beautiful bowl might snap that skinny stem.
It kind of reminds of a Nachwalter/Jemelka/Briar Workshop pipe that I've had for a while. Big Danish freehand style bowl, with a thin, delicate shank. It's the middle pipe in the pic:
That one is a real beauty for sure. Now it looks like I have another pipe maker I am looking for.

So you mentioned getting the char off the rim. It's likely to be tar more than char. I've cleaned countless pipes, most of them my own but not all. The amount of the surface on the rim that is darkened just can't be charred briar...maybe just up around the rim some.

My recommendation would be to do it again with the spit and brush...and then again...and again...and each time you're done scrubbing it, using a soft, very absorbant cloth (like a baby diaper or really old soft towel) that also has some spit on it...form the cloth to the top of the rim as much as you can and with a twisting motion and pushing down hard...rub it really well. Each time you go through the cleaning again you'll get some more off.

That tarry stuff is REALLY hard to get off, as it has been 'cooked' on there during the smoking process...and by your lighter as well. Another way to approach it...instead of using salivary amalase (the enzyme in saliva that dissolves the tar)...try using a very mild rubbing compound. I've used the DeniCare (yes, the stem cleaning variety) on the rim of bowls like yours and it works OK - you just have to be very preudent with how much and how hard, etc. But if you take it easy...use a soft brush...use a small amount of the DeniCare...it'll work OK. If you notice that the dye is being removed from the briar...stop. If flames suddenly erupt from the rim...stop. If little green men...well, you get the idea. What should occiur is a gradual reduction in the amount of tar...usually from the edges inward.

Good luck.

That's the tradeoff with those plateau rims. Great looking but a bitch to clean. I agree that it looks more like tar buildup that charring.

Blackhorse":d7axyq75 said:
So you mentioned getting the char off the rim.........
Right on! Thanks BH. i'm working on it with a soft brush and saliva as we speak. I'll try and pick up some of that compound tomorrow. Much appreciated!