Gotta start somewhere... my current pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PipeGeek

Reaction score
A picture of my pipes, in order of acquisition:

Savinelli Bings Favorite, Tom Briar 516, Roma Select, Peterson System 314

I'd call this "a good start".

Kyle Weiss":d9hl97qv said:
That's a great start, actually. 8)
Really? I'm encouraged then!

All but the Tom Briar I bought at the recommendation of a more knowledgeable person or after a bunch of research. I bought the TB pipe on a business trip back when my ex and I started having serious marital issues. That pipe was an impulse buy, but I wanted one so I could smoke and get my thoughts in order.

The Savinelli is a bit thin in the bowl wall so I don't smoke it often, but when I do, it helps teach me how to smoke slowly but maintain the smoke.

They ain't no Tinsky, Davis or Heeschen pipes, but they don't gotta be--they just gotta be able to stand up to the rigors of a newbie pipester and continue to do justice to your tasty blends some time down the road. I don't think any of those will let you down, especially the Sav, Roma and the Pete. I'm not as familiar with Tom, but it's likely fine.

Your sentiments about the thin-walled bowl are right-on: if your tongue ain't tellin' you to back off the puffing a little, a thin-walled bowl certainly will.

8)

Kyle Weiss":yt9hb3k3 said:
They ain't no Tinsky, Davis or Heeschen pipes, but they don't gotta be
Agreed. In most things in my life, I put quality and functionality (or smoke-ability in this case, I guess) above price and brand recognition. At some point I'll save up some money and buy a pipe for the additional merit of aesthetics, but right now I don't have that luxury. To me, pipe smoking is a very personal activity; I'm not out there trying to pick up chicks with my pipe. :)

The TB smokes just as well as the Roma (so far as I've been able to use the Roma). If I remember correctly, it was one that looked like it was of good quality, and had thicker bowl walls than my then-only-pipe Savinelli. 8)

Well, I do have to say puttin' up the scratch for a artisan pipe (not necessarily name brand, but...you get what I'm sayin') isn't all about the look, the quality of the briar and how it is treated before carving, when carved, finished and then smoked are all part of that higher price point. Yes, they are typically beautiful, too, but it isn't just briar-skin deep hoo-haw.

You are right though, there's a balance of function and quality we can all put a price on, and you're as good if not better than most guys startin' up, including yours truly, who has only revisited this game seriously in the last six months or so. When you do get your first, new artisan or "pricey pipe" you'll treat it as such and appreciate it, too.

I'm pretty sure like a bulldog puppies, classic literature and salmon-colored socks, ladies are into things that surround a guy that are oddly classy and different. Pipes of any shape, size and make can get the job done. So I hear.

All four of those look to be nice examples of some good manufacturers of pipes. You really can't go wrong with just about ANY Savanelli or Peterson made today as both firms have a long history of making good pipes in a wide assortment of price ranges and quality levels and really even these two firms lower price levels are some good pipes!

Looks like a great start to me! I especially dig the Bing's Favorite... Such a classy pipe 8)

Whilst high-end artisan pipes have WOW factor, there is much to be appreciated about simple classic smoking pipes like these.

Nothing wrong with that start...better then what I started with :cheers:

you know Pipe Geek...I like you. You seem like a sensible and budding pipeguy. I think that deserves a reward.

Let's make that collection of your a nice half dozen!

Some time ago, a guy had a box of beat up old pipes that he "donated" to BoB aimed at new pipe smokers - and another guy here and I sort of split them. Some of them were not worth working on...others could, with some professional work and new parts, be reclaimed...others were pretty close to being usable and just needed a fair amount of TLC. Of this last catagory, I've got two that I've cleaned, re-rimmed, restained/polished/waxed and they're now ready to go.

It's good to have pipes of different styles and shapes in which to test out different blends, as they respond to those different shapes...um...differently! lol Anyway, it's also good to have a couple that are the 'glove box' pipes, etc.

Anyway...send me your address and I'll wrap up the two I have done and send them your way...with the compliments of your Brothers here at BoB - in the hope that you enjoy your 'new' hobby for a long time to come.

- Blackhorse, Trading Post Moderator

Blackhorse, a standard class-act on the good foundation of what makes BoB. I fully support this gesture to PipeGeek. 8)

PipeGeek, I expect pictures. :cheers:

Blackhorse":0zf1qh6t said:
Anyway...send me your address and I'll wrap up the two I have done and send them your way...with the compliments of your Brothers here at BoB - in the hope that you enjoy your 'new' hobby for a long time to come.
I am immensely humbled and honored by this gesture. It's hard to find the words.

I'll send you a PM right away with my information. I only hope that I can find a way to pay this gesture forward in the future!

smokinbriar":1e99jmtg said:
Nice pipes, i want to get a bings favorite someday.
As mentioned in this thread, these pipes have thinner walls and tend to smoke hotter than some pipes. I would say they are for experts only, and I am not one. I had a Bing's once, but couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Let's just say I sometimes get violent with inanimate objects. Someday I'll grow up and become a real pipe smoker, but until then the Bing's is out. It does look cool, though, but that won't help your tongue any.

And now, after much delay (mostly due to life getting in the way), here is the picture of the new pipes (with my newest Pete thrown in for size comparison), courtesy of Blackhorse:

Both are handsome looking pipes. The second one is the smallest pipe I have now, though the bowl on the Peterson I think is actually a bit smaller (the bowl sides are thicker).

Again, it's a great privilege to have these pipes bestowed on my by a member of the forum!

I like the color of that Pete. The Linkmans 45 DG caught my eye as well!