grail huntin is a big ole p.i.t.a.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnylaw13

Reaction score
I've been on a search for the perfect churchwarden when I stumbled across the Stanwell HCA II MII and its perfect. I love it, go back about a week later to P&C the only HCA sold out os my II MII rustic, well bummer  :x happen across another on eBay, not sure it was the same model but close to the same shape, a Flawless with no bids.. High bidder! 14 hours later busy away check back and lost that sob by $2!!!! Well I think I'm giving up on this one for now, really wanting my first "new" pipe only other one really peaking my interest os the Peterson Tankard but my readings say its not all that great of a pipe... Pipen ain't easy! Whatever shall I do?

You'll find one eventually. But, it's unlikely you'll win an Ebay auction bidding that far in advance. I always wait until the final 10 seconds, which is usually successful.
The Stanwell HCA is pretty prolific, you should have plenty of options.
It is good to have a Holy Grail (I have a list...)

riff raff":5usa27bi said:
You'll find one eventually.  But, it's unlikely you'll win an Ebay auction bidding that far in advance. I always wait until the final 10 seconds, which is usually successful.  
THIS for sure and I smoke Peterson's and have not found a bad one yet !! The lower priced ones do take a bit longer to "break in" over the higher grades but they ALL are well made good smoking pipes IMHO  :twisted: 

monbla256":9ktmg3tg said:
riff raff":9ktmg3tg said:
You'll find one eventually.  But, it's unlikely you'll win an Ebay auction bidding that far in advance. I always wait until the final 10 seconds, which is usually successful.  
THIS for sure and I smoke Peterson's and have not found a bad one yet !! The lower priced ones do take a bit longer to "break in" over the higher grades but they ALL are well made good smoking pipes IMHO  :twisted: 
peoples complaints seem to be a very small bowl and it heats up really fast. Nothing bad about the quality or the smokablility

jonnylaw13":t68rgbf7 said:
monbla256":t68rgbf7 said:
riff raff":t68rgbf7 said:
peoples complaints seem to be a very small bowl and it heats up really fast. Nothing bad about the quality or the smokablility
Who's the "peoples"? Sounds like someone or ones are puffing too much.
Pipes are for slow smoking and sipping and certainly this one. The bowl is ample enough in thickness that it shouldn't heat up anymore then any other pipe of it's size (I have one).

What ya need to do is research what they sell for new and then search eBay or other sites.
Find one that matches your criteria in condition and price, then sit back till the last few seconds and place your bid. I suggest you think about how much you want to pay very carefully and how much your willing to pay over that when someone out bids you.
I'd also do a search on eBay "Closed Auctions" so as to get an idea what they go for there.
In my experience if you want to win an auction you have to be willing to pay more then the other guy. 75% of the time I get items much cheaper then what I bid but, I too have my limitations. Only the crazy and wealthy can win them all.

Cartaphilus":0vew18jj said:
jonnylaw13":0vew18jj said:
monbla256":0vew18jj said:
riff raff":0vew18jj said:
Who's the "peoples"? Sounds like someone or ones are puffing too much.
Pipes are for slow smoking and sipping and certainly this one. The bowl is ample enough in thickness that it shouldn't heat up anymore then any other pipe of it's size (I have one).

What ya need to do is research what they sell for new and then search eBay or other sites.
Find one that matches your criteria in condition and price, then sit back till the last few seconds and place your bid. I suggest you think about how much you want to pay very carefully and how much your willing to pay over that when someone out bids you.
I'd also do a search on eBay "Closed Auctions" so as to get an idea what they go for there.
In my experience if you want to win an auction you have to be willing to pay more then the other guy. 75% of the time I get items much cheaper then what I bid but, I too have my limitations. Only the crazy and wealthy can win them all.
I saw the tankard on a YouTube video then found it on eBay, then did price researching and reviews on other sites. Then went back to eBay and the buy it now prices literally doubled (no joke) I think I'm cursed! As for the HCA, there's only a very specific shape I like it in and tracking it down is well as my OP title says.. A pain in the ass..