Grampa's Watch - 1 Billion Ticks

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZeroContent

Reaction score
So I got my grampa's watch. (no he's not dead, he's fine) I was planning on acquiring the watch when he did pass away since it's something that is dear to me of his. When I was little my dad lived at his house for a couple years so I'd stay there on the weekends. Every weekend my grandfather and I were the first ones up in the morning so we'd make breakfast together. When we made waffles I would use his watch to time the cooking so I'd take them out of the waffle iron just at the right time. He's had the watch all my life and was his daily wearer. He received it from his work in 1980 for working there for 25 years, I was born in '82. It's nothing overly special but it has taken a lickin' and kept on tickin'.

Back this past thanksgiving my grampa's refrigerator caught fire in the middle of the night and his house burned down. Since firemen throw everything out of the windows while putting out the fire there was junk everywhere in the yard. I told my dad and uncle that if they find the watch I want it, even if it's destroyed. About 2 weeks later my dad called and said he found the watch laying in the middle of the rubble. It was blackend, but still ticking. My grandfather had gotten a new pocket watch from his wife last year so instead of being on the living room end table where it would have been completely destroyed it was put away in a dresser in the bedroom which only sustained smoke damage. I brought to a watch maker who had to hunt down a new crystal for it because it was scratched and chipped from years of abuse. He found one in Germany and had it sent here. Everything on this watch has been discontinued years ago so nothing else was replaced, just cleaned up. The watch: a Seiko Sports 100, Movement 7123F, Made April 1980. This watch was only made for a couple years something like '79 to '82. The movement is almost impossible to find so I'm going to have to start buying every one that I find so I have parts to keep this thing going. The second hand has ticked over 982 Million times, closing in on 1 Billion ticks, hopefully can keep it going for a few billion more.

I'm a Seiko watch fan, I have several, mostly mechanical dive watches. There are a few watch makers who do restoration work for good prices, including Bob Thayer and North East Watchworks ( http://www.newatchworks.com/ ). There is a forum dedicated to Seiko and Citizen watches where there's a good following and a lot of enthusiasm for old watches, and networking for parts is excellent : http://www.thewatchsite.com/index.php . You could easily get aftermarket parts like a replacement bezel for that faded one on your watch, or most anything else you might need. A good source for new parts to fit old Seiko watches is http://www.10watches.com/ and http://www.dotwatchworks.com/ .

That's a nice story, may it tick on for a few more billion!

That's a great story and I think many of todays kids may never have something passed down to them of value sentimentally.

Can't wait until 3d printers are cheap and can make things from stainless steel then finding these things won't be a problem anymore. :)

I kinda of like the worn out bezel. Gives it character and the look that it's been around the block for 31 years.

ZeroContent":mcovssdg said:
So I got my grampa's watch[...]The watch: a Seiko Sports 100, Movement 7123F, Made April 1980. This watch was only made for a couple years something like '79 to '82. The movement is almost impossible to find so I'm going to have to start buying every one that I find so I have parts to keep this thing going. The second hand has ticked over 982 Million times, closing in on 1 Billion ticks, hopefully can keep it going for a few billion more.
What a wonderful story, and it's great that you have, and appreciate your grandfather's timepiece.

Old watches are wonderful things, and you'll be able to keep that one going for the rest of your life with a little care, as long as there are watchmakers around. And, as long as there are watches around to keep alive, and people who care about them, there are bound to be good watchmakers.

I'm a sentimentalist myself, and that is a great story. Thanks for sharing!

I think it helps havng a small family. My family tree gets smaller as gnerations go on. On my dad's side my grampa was 1 of 8 and grama was 1 of 12, they only had 3 kids. I only have 4 first cousins total between both sides of my family. I think that helps to appreciate everyone because I don't have 100 imediate family members, only 16 so we're not spread thin to keep up with tons of family. My youngest aunt and uncle have been like big brother and sister to me. I like my family. Grampa taught me how to golf, other gampa how to cook, grama to read, other grama to can jams, uncle taught me how to drive a snowmobile, aunt taught me to ride a horse, cousin taught me to shoot.