Grand Ole Opry

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puffy

Reaction score
Let me first say that though I live in North Carolina I care very little if any at all about country music.I much prefer blues,and classic rock.Recently though I made the more than 400 mile trip across the mountains to visit my sister in Tennesse.She insisted that since at 67 years old I had never been to the Opry as country folks call it she would pay the $60 dollar admission price and drive the 30 miles to get there so we went.To be honest the show was much better than I expected.It was more modern ( less country oriented ).It's not something I will do again,but if you're a country music fan it's something worth the experience.

Larry

I went once and throughly enjoyed it. Since they generally do not tell you who is the "stars" are before hand we were pleasantly surpirsed to see Garth Brooks, Vince Gill and Travis Tritt. This was about 1990.

NCguy":qa8caclh said:
Let me first say that though I live in North Carolina I care very little if any at all about country music.I much prefer blues,and classic rock.Recently though I made the more than 400 mile trip across the mountains to visit my sister in Tennesse.She insisted that since at 67 years old I had never been to the Opry as country folks call it she would pay the $60 dollar admission price and drive the 30 miles to get there so we went.To be honest the show was much better than I expected.It was more modern ( less country oriented ).It's not something I will do again,but if you're a country music fan it's something worth the experience.

Larry
Yes, I would like to visit the Ryman myself, although I can understand your not being a "Country" fan, and it is my wife who likes all these "big hat, no cows" singers. I do like some of them, but not the devotee that she is. But then she tries to tolerate my music, even though she isn't truly a bluegrass fan. :lol!:

But at an Opry show you probably got: some traditional country, some new country, some bluegrass, possibly some gospel, and some country rock. And even the acts you aren't familiar with tend to be top of the line.

You want some fun look into Hayseed Dixie, they do bluegrass covers of heavy metal tunes and Bela Fleck who plays jazz and bluegrass, on the banjo.

Al (in canada)

Al in Canada. I'm with you on the bluegrass. Love it. Hayseed Dixie is great and they just don't come any better than Bela Fleck. Unless you like mandolin and David Grisman.

Centurian 303 wrote:
Al in Canada. I'm with you on the bluegrass. Love it. Hayseed Dixie is great and they just don't come any better than Bela Fleck. Unless you like mandolin and David Grisman.
Yes, love the mandolin and Grisman, and the Seldom Scene, and the Dillards, and, and and...

And I love the expression of people who realize they are listening to a Bluegrass version of Stairway to Heaven or Cat Scratch Fever, etc. It is mind blowing. :twisted: It makes them stop and reconsider, like discovering that country music doesn't have to be about your grandmother and your dog being killed in your pickup by a train when on the way to bail you out of jail for fighting over you cheating wife.

Amazing how many people opened up to BG after watching "O Brother..".

Al (in Canada)
London Mixture in a Sasieni one dot

I went twice back in the 70's and thoroughly enjoyed it! Just haven't gotten around to going back. I am sure it has changed a lot.

Got a chance to hit up the opry in 02 and caught the part of the BG fest at the Ryman (sp) with Vince Gill playin mandolin. Went mostly because as a little un it was normal to be and Grandma and Grandpa's on either a Friday or Saturday night, they would sit in their chairs and I would sit on the floor and watch the opry on TNN. Hard to beat good music and the smell of CH. :)

Oddball":y635tnp5 said:
Got a chance to hit up the opry in 02 and caught the part of the BG fest at the Ryman (sp) with Vince Gill playin mandolin. Went mostly because as a little un it was normal to be and Grandma and Grandpa's on either a Friday or Saturday night, they would sit in their chairs and I would sit on the floor and watch the opry on TNN. Hard to beat good music and the smell of CH. :)
Being of a different generation, I listened to the Opry on WSM 650 on the radio on Saturday nights, followed by the Ernest Tubb show in the later years. Before the Interstates that was a considerable drive even from Lexington Kentucky, on some challenging roads, and my family were not country music afficianados. Closest I got to the Opry "experience" was Renfro Valley Barn Dance, and that was on tv by then (b&w).

Wow, memories of June Carter as a young comedianne on the show, working with Ferlin Husky (?), well before she fell into the evil clutches of the man in black. But that is from the tv era,too.

Al (in Canada)