Granger

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ITSETTLE

Reaction score
Hello Brothers. I am looking for some thoughts/opinions on Granger pipe tobacco. I am looking for an all day smoke that does not have a chemical taste. What are you thoughts on Granger? I am a burley lover.

Geetings,

Sadly, Granger is not what it used to be. It's former version was a true "rough cut". A wide, semi rubbed out plug, similar to Mac Baren's Burley London Blend. Flavor was nutty Burley, slightly sweet, with chocolate undertones. Quite good, I smoked it regularly back in the day.

Today's version is basically a short ribbon cut and nothing like the original. Flavor is similar but burn rate is much faster. The change was probably a cost cutting move. Personally, I find the present version to have a plastic-like after taste. Some here may disagree.

For classic Burley, try Prince Albert, Carter Hall or Sir Walter Raleigh Regular for OTC blends. For imported tinned Burley, try Mac Baren Golden Extra, Burley London Blend or Norwood.

There are many other Burley blends out there and I'm sure others on the forum can give you more suggestions.

Enjoy the journey!

CACooper

I started my pipe smoking back in 'Nam with Granger. It was the 'bac an Army major I worked with smoked and he got me started smoking a pipe with it. When I got home I found the world of English/Balkan belends and later Va's and never smoked it again. It holds a "place in my heart" so to speak because of this and I did not know itwas still produced really,but I'm no onger a Burley fan so doubt I'd try and smoke anymore today. But i do think it helped me stay away from the overly sweet and syrupy Aro's and appreciate truer tobacco flavors :p

I smoke Granger from time to time, its not to complex but with a good nutty kind of tobacco flavor. I usually smoke it for a break if lat and va blends start to taste a little flat. Its a good everyday baccy to smoke when working around the house or yard too.

I'm with Cooper. Granger, many years ago was awesome to me. Could smoke it all day and a mean all day with the pipe in my teeth a very good portion of the day.
Hmph! Tried that a year or so ago. It was like a mouthful of wasps. Damned shame to it used to be really good stuff.

Through 4Noggins you can get 2oz samples of various OTC. As you can see there are many feelings across OTC and even in the linage of a single OTC. Give'm all (current versions) a try! They are affordable and you might find something unexpected.

I prefer Carter Hall of the main OTC. There are even boutique OTC, like Angler's Dream from Hearth & Home.