Granulated packing problems.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noreaster

Reaction score
What I have is a sample tin of H&H Obsidian that I got as a random "non-aromatic" sample with an order that I had placed. I can't figure out how to pack it! I have been having great success with the three-step method with various ribbon cut tobaccos but the Obsidian looks like dry, black brownie crumbs when I open the tin. I think that I might enjoy this blend more if I weren't constantly getting giant snoot-fuls of it on re-light after re-light.

How does one best pack a dry, granular tobacco in a bowl successfully?

I'm not sure what the common practice is, but for me, I just fill the bowl. Usually gravity alone packs it tight enough. If not, once its full to the top I gently press down with my thumb and top it off. I think the secret is not to over pack. You want a nice free draw so you don't suck tiny bits of tobacco when you try to light.

Try gravity loading the bowl and then lightly tapping the side with your finger tip to settle it. I find that this type or cut may require a couple of re-lights but once well lit a smoke can last in excess of an hour, depending on bowl size.