Great quotes you like

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So what are some of the quotes from others that you enjoy? They don't necessarily have to be those which you try and emulate. OK, I'll go first-

"There are 3 kinds of people in this world-

Those who make things happen..

Those who watch things happen...

Those who wonder WTF just happened....

I know which one of those I want to be"

Phil Harris, (late) Captain of the Cornelia Marie Crab boat.

:cyclops:

And yours?

Cheers,

RR

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

My standard answer for when I do not have a clue what I want at a restaurant, and my wife Cathy is present. Four whole fried chickens and a Coke. - The Blues Brothers

I also sing old 1960's jingles that drive Cathy crazy. Which of course being an 80's child, born in '66. She just does not get it. They just pop in my head and out my mouth. I have always had trouble keeping my mouth shut. It's gotten me into more trouble.

Pressure is what you feel when you don't know your job.

Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it.

-- both from Chuck Noll, Steeler coach

"I've proven who I am so many times the magnetic strip's worn thin." Bruce Cockburn
"Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try." Yoda
" Understanding is a three edged sword" Kosh
"Better a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" Fred Allen
"Hear me now, believe me later" Hans and Franz
"But I'll tell you what hermits realize. If you go off into a far, far forest and get very quiet, you'll come to understand that you're connected with everything." Alan Watts
"Laughter and crying is the same release" Joni Mitchell

I guess there are others, but my mind is as quick as a rusty steel trap tonight. Long day...

"Get busy living, or get busy dying," Andy DuFresne The Shawshank Redemption

"We don't see things the way they are; we see them they way WE are," Talmud

"The price of anything is the amount of life you trade for it," Henry David Thoreau

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened," Winston Churchill

"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the majority will believe you; tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure," George Carlin

"If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments," Steven Wright

If you have a problem and there is no solution...why worry?
If you have a problem and there is a solution...why worry?
Either way...why worry?
-Dalai Llama

If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.
-Maya Angelou

The cosmos is a gigantic flywheel making 10,000 revolutions a minute. Man is a sick fly taking a dizzy ride on it. Religion is the theory that the wheel was designed and set spinning to give him the ride.   ~ H.L. Mencken

idbowman":rznpdube said:
"The price of anything is the amount of life you trade for it," Henry David Thoreau

"If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments," Steven Wright
All are good, but really like these two.

'Be the change you wish to see in the world', Ghandi

'Seek first to understand, then to be understood', Covey

...are two that spring to mind.

"I am but an egg" (Robert Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land)
"A consultant is someone who borrows your watch to tell you the time" (origin unknown)
"If you want obedience - command it
If you want respect - earn it
If you want devotion - buy a dog!" (Old Chief Petty Officer in the RN when I was a young apprentice)

Many others that are too rude, politically incorrect or contentious for a public forum.

Adam

Water? Ugh! Fish Phuque in it.
W.C. Fields

If you can snatch the pebble from my hand, you will have learned.
Master Po

Berger: We read five times that you were killed, in five different places.

Victor Laszlo: As you can see, it was true every single time.
Casablanca

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.
Groucho Marx

Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary.
Robin Williams, I forget the character.

In this galaxy there’s a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all that, and perhaps more, only one of each of us.
Dr ‘Bones’ McCoy, Star Trek

Having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting, it may not be logical but it is often true. – Spock

A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."  George Washington

It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible." George Washington

All right, they’re on our left, they’re on our right, they’re in front of us, they’re behind us…they can’t get away this time”
– Lewis B. Chesty Puller, USMC

arkansaspiper":4wbt2ps1 said:
A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."  George Washington

It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible." George Washington

All right, they’re on our left, they’re on our right, they’re in front of us, they’re behind us…they can’t get away this time”
– Lewis B. Chesty Puller, USMC
"The Round Table
A Place To Discuss Anything You Wish As Long As It's Respectful Of Others. Except, political & religious topics are to be in The Rubber Room."
==Brothers of Briar

Just a suggestion buddy... I do it sometimes too....

I like the imagery and rhythm:

"You can take all the sincerity in Hollywood, place it in the navel of a fruit fly and still have room enough for three caraway seeds and a producer's heart."  ~ Fred Allen

Don't feel too bad buddy. Most of my favorite quotes are from biblical prophets.

I know, I know... Get ye to thy rubber room! Lol