Green around the gills...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growley

Reaction score
Apparently pipe smoking has made me a nicotine lightweight. I haven't really smoked many cigars since I started smoking pipes more seriously. But today I needed to get out of the house (I work from home) and do some more contemplative work. I figured I'd hit the local cigar shop and have a cigar while I was working. I chose a Rocky Patel Edge Habano and pretty much smoked the full stick, save maybe an inch.

Upon returning home, I found I was a good bit green.  :no: 

I definitely didn't have much food in me before lighting up, but I made sure to down some calories when I got home. I haven't felt this green in a while, and I used to be able to smoke some pretty heavy cigars. What's up with that???

I'm guessing there are a lot of factors that might make this question hard to definitively answer, but in general do cigars pack a much bigger punch than an average bowl of pipe tobacco?

I think it still happens to to me even with pipe smoking. I have never gotten sick from pipe tobacco, but I have gotten light-headed. I usually prevent this by drinking a lot of water (not alcohol) and getting up and walking around a bit between. Especially this past pipe club day, I needed to get some fresh air and some munchies, as well as slow down my puffing.

I don't know if I'm a lightweight really at all. I think it's a matter of timing and prep to not get overwhelmed by the 'bac. :drunken: 

I get that with cigars every so often, and also certain with Dunhill blends. Thankfully I have learned when to back off and put the pipe or cigar down when I get to feeling a certain way.

I have pretty much kissed Dunhill Latakias goodbye because I prefer a larger bowl Group 4-5, and I don't feel like stewing in my own juices by the end of the bowl. (No more Night Cap, no more EMP or London Mixture)

On a cigar note, I forget who it was, but someone here turned me onto J. Fuego Origens. Small cigars with lots of flavor they're pretty bold too. However there isn't enough cigar there to run you through. Quite nice and friendly by design.

DrumsAndBeer":gkzkeg13 said:
I get that with cigars every so often, and also certain with Dunhill blends. Thankfully I have learned when to back off and put the pipe or cigar down when I get to feeling a certain way.

I have pretty much kissed Dunhill Latakias goodbye because I prefer a larger bowl Group 4-5, and I don't feel like stewing in my own juices by the end of the bowl. (No more Night Cap, no more EMP or London Mixture)

On a cigar note, I forget who it was, but someone here turned me onto J. Fuego Origens. Small cigars with lots of flavor they're pretty bold too. However there isn't enough cigar there to run you through. Quite nice and friendly by design.
I enjoy nightcap quite a bit, so I'm guessing it was a lack of food this time. Now that I've had a bit to eat, I'm right as rain. Once bitten, twice shy though. I'm still thinking about giving my cigars up  :D 

If I am reading the description on cigar.com correctly that is a straight ligero cigar (or close to it)..........as much nicotine as they can cram in. It really doesn't matter how often you smoke cigars if it is a ligero rich stick.....you are gonna feel it. Throw in that it was a 6 x 52 and you are pretty much screwed unless you are a cig smoker. The only way to avoid feeling that way with a stick this potent is to have a full stomach and drink water while you smoke. And even then nothing is guaranteed.

scotties22":8zv2ed0q said:
If I am reading the description on cigar.com correctly that is a straight ligero cigar (or close to it)..........as much nicotine as they can cram in.  It really doesn't matter how often you smoke cigars if it is a ligero rich stick.....you are gonna feel it.  Throw in that it was a 6 x 52 and you are pretty much screwed unless you are a cig smoker.  The only way to avoid feeling that way with a stick this potent is to have a full stomach and drink water while you smoke.  And even then nothing is guaranteed.
LOL, The other way to avoid it is aparently to know as much about cigars as you.  :p 

I have learned through osmosis......I listen to my husband blather mindlessly every day about cigars  :lol: 

scotties22":dhj25snp said:
I have learned through osmosis......I listen to my husband blather mindlessly every day about cigars  :lol: 
He ".... blather's mindlessly..." about cigars and you do how about pipes ?  :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: 

monbla256":tulmbai3 said:
scotties22":tulmbai3 said:
He ".... blather's mindlessly..." about cigars and you do how about pipes ?   :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: 
Whoops..........you're on to me  :lol: 

scotties22":tkkhmi4u said:
Oh! So you guys do hear us! :lol!: 

Cartaphilus":mkc1b2bc said:
That comes as no surprise. However ask him if he hears her. I love my wife dearly, but I couldn't tell you what she just said to me to save my life.  :lol: 

DrumsAndBeer":ucl052x5 said:
I love my wife dearly, but I couldn't tell you
what she just said to me to save my life.
That's one of the secrets to a long marriage ...

DrumsAndBeer":j8oi7bof said:
Cartaphilus":j8oi7bof said:
That comes as no surprise. However ask him if he hears her. I love my wife dearly, but I couldn't tell you what she just said to me to save my life.  :lol: 
Thankfully, mine seldom has anything to say to me. But, when she does I just smile and nod.

Brian, the edge makes me quite buzzed and i'm a heavyweight with nicotine. like scotties said, pure ligero. fun when you're in the mood though.  :drunken: 

SteveS":hgquywho said:
That's one of the secrets to a long marriage ...
Very true. Been married for 14 years, and we've been together for 22. She's in bed reading and I am in the garage smoking a pipe. Some how it works!

I must be some sort of nicotine junkie, because I cannot relate. The other day I smoked two Cain Habanos one after another followed by a pipe full of Escudo. Felt just fine, although I drank about a pot of coffee with it so my heart rate was a little high.

The last cigar that got me sick was over 2 years ago. I had a Man O War toro on an empty stomach. Haven't been sick from nicotine since.

Ocelot55":1e5jbmqd said:
I must be some sort of nicotine junkie, because I cannot relate. The other day I smoked two Cain Habanos one after another followed by a pipe full of Escudo. Felt just fine, although I drank about a pot of coffee with it so my heart rate was a little high.

The last cigar that got me sick was over 2 years ago. I had a Man O War toro on an empty stomach. Haven't been sick from nicotine since.
I can totally see you twitchy at the kitchen table trying to work on a pipe after this  :lol: 

scotties22":e8mvmrii said:
Ocelot55":e8mvmrii said:

I can totally see you twitchy at the kitchen table trying to work on a pipe after this  :lol: 
This does not sound like the secret to fast pipemaking to me...

Hope your naturally BP is low Jesse cause that's heart attack territory there...