Greetings fellow Brethren of the Briar!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n4mgr

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My name is Matthew, though most call me Matt and a few may even call me mud, but that's alright too. I am a long distance truck driver, so I pretty much live wherever I take my hat off at night, though I reside in the Commonwealth of Virginia and at the moment am in Silver City, NM taking a breather and enjoying a little relaxation with friends and family, including my friend, the briar. I have been smoking off and on for a few years, but discovered the pipe through an acquaintance, who suggested I consider it. I picked up my first pipe at Emerson's of Norfolk - in Chesapeake, VA back in October and soon after was given an estate pipe by my grandpa. I have been smoking bulk tobacco purchased from Emerson's, with the exception of Carter Hall, though I will not be smoking that for much longer. I purchased a pipe from J.M. Boswell last week and already it is the best pipe I have. I am also smoking Mr. Boswell's Berry Cobbler, Apple Strudel and PA Dutch Treat Tobaccos and am really impressed by the quality and taste. I look forward to many years of good smoking and enjoyment of the briar and fellowship with my fellow brethren.

Also, one last thing, I'm curious if there are any Amateur Radio operators on the forum here. Ham radio has been a hobby of mine since I was 17. My call is N4MGR and currently I hold a general class license, though I am looking to upgrade in the next few months.

Thanks everyone for the wonderful forum!

Matt

We don't 'llow no truckdriving ham radio ops on here. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome aboard from KI4EID the Tanker Yanker extraordinaire.

Welcome, Brother Mud! (C'mon, "Mud" is more fun!) I have a Boswell poker that is a fine smoker... and I didn't even mean to make it rhyme, but that's how it goes. Lots of hip pipester cats on this board, willing to share knowledge about pipes, tobacco, books, women, cars, and hair care tips. So pull up a chair and a pipe and hang out with us, man! I have been wanting to get into ham radio for years, but I don't know hammers myself, so it is kind of overwhelming. I do cruise the short waves... Keep us posted on your whereabouts -- it's kinda interesting to those of us who are stationary in our work places.

Welcome Brother Matt. I am new here meself. Met some great guys already and learned a heck of alot about pipe smoking, I'm sure you will too. I am hoping that my new Boswell Plateaux Churchwarden arrives on Monday. :bounce:

Tim in Ohio":s7pvobqv said:
Welcome Brother Matt. I am new here meself. Met some great guys already and learned a heck of alot about pipe smoking, I'm sure you will too. I am hoping that my new Boswell Plateaux Churchwarden arrives on Monday. :bounce:

Just out of curiosity, Doe's Boswell charge any more for the churchwarden pipes than they do for the classic bent style pipes? I am looking at getting a churchwarden and as good as this pipe I have here from Boswell smokes, I want to get it from them, not to mention the great customer service over there, they are just good people all the way around(and southern at that, though trapped in PA).

Just out of curiosity, Doe's Boswell charge any more for the churchwarden pipes than they do for the classic bent style pipes?...
Matt, I understand that Boswell prices the pipes based on the time he puts into it... so, I would say that it will depend on the particular churchwarden. I've seen "classic" pipes on his site ranging from $65 to over $250. It's just gonna depend on which one you fall in love with. ;)

Welcome aboard!!! You'll find that you are in good company here at B.O.B.
Now all you have to do is try some VaPers and you'll never look at another aromatic again......not even Boswell's (HA HA HA!! They are tasty aren't they?) :D

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.

I never expected there to be so many people who enjoyed both the pipe and everything else I've found here, especially wet-shaving. I took up wet-shaving back in October of last year due to the high cost of cartridges and was immediately hooked by the closeness of the shave and the low prices of razor's and blades. I've watched a few videos on youtube and found one the compared the latest and greatest vibrating cartridge to a marital aid, lol. That cracks me up every time.

Anyways, I'm already enjoying the forum here, after only a couple weeks and look forward to many informative and humorous posts.

Thanks again.