Greetings from EU

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mookzen

Reaction score
Greetings!

In the interest of saving all the welcoming folks some time and energy, I'm going to keep this relatively short.

I hail from the eastern part of EU, am 27 years old, male, first got into pipes by way of a little tobacco shop in Nottingham (UK) during my studies at a university. Got lured in one sunny summer day by the enticing sights, sounds and smells of the culture, bought a petite Butz Choquin churchwarden on a whim and liked it. However, life was a tad too hectic at the time and cigs, unfortunately, prevailed more often then I would like to admit. Some years passed, I moved back home, life slowed down and the urge to transition completely has finally taken root. I mark my commitment with the purchase of a Rattray's Kelpy 56, a lovely lovat, and the joining of this here community!

Mookzen":dfmzwlth said:
Greetings !

In the interest of saving all the welcoming folks some time and energy, I'm going to keep this relatively short.

I hail from Latvia, am 28 years old, male, first got into pipes by way of a little tobacco shop in Nottingham (UK) during my studies at a university. Got lured in one sunny summer day by the enticing sights, sounds and smells of the culture, bought a petite Butz-Choquin churchwarden on a whim and liked it. However, life was a tad too hectic at the time and cigarettes, the gunksticks as I've come to regard them over time, unfortunately, prevailed more often then I would like to admit. Some years passed, I moved back to Latvia, life slowed down and the urge to transition completely has finally reached its apex. I mark my commitment with the purchase of a Rattray's Kelpy 56, a lovely lovat, and the joining of this here community !  
Welcome sir and not to worry, I too smoked cigs for 40 some years only to finally give them up for the pipe and none too soon might I add. ;)

Welcome aboard..

The tobacco shop in Nottingham, was that the place that Glenn Quelch worked at?

DrumsAndBeer":k0o8sq4l said:
Welcome aboard..

The tobacco shop in Nottingham, was that the place that Glenn Quelch worked at?
Seems so, I just looked up an older video of his on youtube featuring an ad for a pipe from the same shop. It's called Gauntleys Of Nottingham, smack in the historical center of the city, long history, all the good stuff. I was there right around most of his time working for them it seems, according to the G.Q. site. Though to be completely honest I didn't pay much attention to people 'across the counter' back then and didn't get involved in the Nottingham Pipe Club, which is something I do regret. His face does seem somewhat familiar, we could have had some chats, it's certainly possible, maybe even probable. Thanks for bringing this up, I never knew. This almost trumps finding out that Peterson (Kārlis Pētersons) was originally from my home town in Latvia, speaking of which, I might just have to take a trip to Dublin, make my next pipe a Peterson.

Welcome!! I too gave up the cancer sticks back in October after 13 years of the darn things and am glad I did. You've come to a great place. Glad to have you.

Good evening Mookzen and welcome to the Brethren from one of the board's UK contingent. Gauntleys! I've shopped there (online) on several occasions. They're renowned for their own blends. Your English is superb by the way. Look forward to seeing you on the forum...

Howdy.

It'll be a year off of cigarettes for me in March.

They taste so bad now (especially compared to pipe tobacco), I almost can't see the attraction they once had.

Good luck!

Welcome and congratulations! Like many others here, I smoked cigarettes for many years before sanity brought me to the pipe and I've never looked back. Enjoy your time here.