Greetings from Fort Wayne

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HCraven

Reaction score
Hello, Brothers of Briar! My name is Herb, and I'm new to this forum but a veteran of others. I see a few familiar faces here and lots of potential new friends.

I've smoked pipes for 22 years, and have a modest collection of almost 40 pipes, all workhorses, nothing too fancy. I favor English-style blends, Virginia Flakes and VAPers, but I have an appreciation for aromatics and OTC Burleys as well, and I keep several of each in my cellar.

I just wanted to say hi, and I look forward to participating in this great forum.

Welcome to BoB. My wife is originally from the Fort Wayne area.

Welcome aboard, Herb.
I've spent a bit of time in Ft. Wayne, myself. Most folks don't realize Johnny Appleseed was a real person. You've got his gravestone to prove it. :p

George Kaplan":oikxwz1b said:
Welcome aboard, Herb.
I've spent a bit of time in Ft. Wayne, myself. Most folks don't realize Johnny Appleseed was a real person. You've got his gravestone to prove it. :p
Indeed we do. We have an annual Johnny Appleseed Festival in September to celebrate his life and try and recreate a little bit of Nineteenth Century life in the midwest, mostly in the form of apple-based dishes and rustic-looking crafts. :p Nonetheless, it's a nice excuse to walk around with a pipe and get into the spirit of autumn, with a tip of the pot to the generous Mr. Chapman.

Our minor-league baseball team, the Tin Caps, were named for him as well, though I've always thought the Fort Wayne Falcons would have had a nice ring to it...

I live just 20 minutes north of you. I must ask, what Falcon are you speaking of? Threw me there.

Andy

Hey there Herb, welcome to the BoB! I hope you enjoy your time here.

Kelhammer":cztg7zpb said:
I live just 20 minutes north of you. I must ask, what Falcon are you speaking of? Threw me there.

Andy
Well, two Falcons actually. First, the famous Falcon Pipe originated and was manufactured here before production moved to Chicago. We also have several pairs of Peregrine Falcons nesting in the area, and I believe the city works with the DNR in it's effort to conserve and repopulate the species locally.

So are you in Auburn, Garrett, Waterloo, Butler...?