Greetings from Iraq!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony

Reaction score
First off,

This forum seems like a fairly close knit network of friends, and I'd like to introduce myself.

My name is Anthony. I'm 24, and I'm originally from Western Nevada. I am currently deployed with the Army within Baghdad, Iraq. I picked up pipe smoking while in Iraq as a way to decongest from the stress and rigors of deployment, and it has become an activity close to my heart which I do not see myself parting with for at least the next 75 years or so. :tongue:

I started off with an old Lorenzo from the early 70's; a black sandblasted bent billiard with a decent sized bowl. She's not the prettiest gal, but she's become a close friend of mine and you couldn't get me to sell her for a million dollars. Alongside her, I have a Peterson's Captain Pete, straight stemmed bulldog with quite a large bowl that I personally love to fill with a good flake (Penzance + huge bowl= twice the already lengthy burn time, and what seems like an even cooler smoke), preferrably English blends heavy on the Latakia side. Penzance, Nightcap, Irish Flake, 965, and And So To Bed are perfect here during the cool desert nights here. I also have a couple cob pipes that I use to play around with aromatics now and again (I quite enjoy a good cherry tobacco).

One highlight about Iraq is that here, it's almost taboo to NOT smoke, and often. I've had the luxury of coming across some of the local blends, and getting Syrian Latakia blends straight from Syria/Iraq. MAN, you want to talk about a STOUT tobacco... :face: :face: :face: Unfortunately due to customs restrictions I can't bring any out of country myself, but you can bet money I'm doing what I can to establish relationships in order to make that happen.

As I said previously, pipe smoking is something quite new to me. I had some ultra beginner mistakes to start out, badly packed bowls, and puffing too quickly and placing my tongue right in front of the stem.... Had a case of Kentucky Fried Tongue that made tasting anything impossible, let alone painful. Fortunately I learned from those mistakes and haven't done anything close to that in almost a year now. I'm very open to suggestions and reccomendations from any and all.

As the days pass, I hope to make your acquaintences and stick around for a good while. Out of all the communities I've been involved with, the pipe smoking brotherhood(and sisterhood!) is without a doubt the most friendly and personal I've ever seen.

Here's to searching for the perfect pipe and blend. (and hoping I never find either!)

Respectfully,

Anthony

Welcome Anthony! It looks like you are off to a great start on your piping career.

Thanks for your service!

Welcome to BoB and thank you for your service :cheers:

Welcome aboard, Anthony!

Thanks for doing what you do. Stay safe out there and enjoy every puff.

Hello; welcome to BoB and thanks for your service.

LtMac

Welcome to BOB Anthony. Thank you for your service, my prayers are with you all.

Thank you all for the kind words, it's genuinely appreciated.

I'm looking forward to learning from you all, and taking full advantage of the wealth of information on this forum.

Respectfully,

Anthony

Welcome Aboard Anthony! Looks like you have hit the ground running with pipe smoking. Please watch you ass over there.

Welcome Anthony. Thank you so much for serving. If there is anything I can do for you, and I'm sure the brothers all feel the same, just let me know. As for the fellowhip, pull up a stool, load up a bowl, and jump right in. :D

Anthony
Welcome aboard, and enjoy. About the only exception to the close knit firendship comes in
"The Rubber Room", but we go in there knowing that the discussion is more contentious, and the gloves can come off on occasion, as the topics heat up. "Tis simple enough, if you don't like an argument, stay out of the room
icon_jokercolor.png
.It is mostly off topic stuff any way, which I enjoy, like questions of politics and religion, etc.

Good luck with your tour, and may it be uneventful and boring.

Al (in Canada)
Cambridge Blend in DH Cumberland

Greetings Anthony!

We couldn't be more proud of you over there! Thank you for your commitment to our country! We look forward to "sharing a few bowls" with you.

-Adam

Dear Anthony,,
as a new member my self let me welcome u in this community and thank u mostly for leading me into here,,mostly appreciated!
such a delightful place with lots of decent gentle mens around,,u cant c tht around more often in these online forums!
keep it on the safe side buddy
cheers
ahmad

midnight rider":3kw7lrcu said:
Welcome and thank you for your service :D

My son is also on mission there in Iraq.
I hope your son is well and that he returns home safely when his unit's redeployment comes around.

Thank you all again for the warm welcome.

Welcome to the club, Anthony. Great to have you on board !! Thanks for everything you doing for us over there - glad you've found a terrific past time to help you with your time over there. I'm a newbie myself, but I'm sure the terrific members on this board will help both of us become old hands in no time (and boy is it fun getting lots of practice in !!)

Mike

PS - say `G'Day' for me to any Aussies you see over there

Hi Anthony,
Thank you for your service!
I first began pipe smoking in South Vietnam over 40 years ago, I didn't expect to live as long as I have nor enjoy anything as much as I have this indulgence.
Stay safe and enjoy the company.
Jack B