Greetings from Jim in Northern California

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Lowe

Reaction score
Hello everyone and greetings from the San Francisco Bay area.

I'm very pleased to have found this little group. I've learned quite a bit from the reading the excellent discussions, and it's come time to introduce myself. Please call me Jim.

I'm still quite new to pipe tobacco, having discovered it last fall after throwing in the towel with cigars. The learning curve has been steep, and it remains so, but I'm certainly enjoying the experience.

I've accumulated a small squadron of MM cob pipes; everything from a MacArthur and a Freehand, to several workhorse Missouri Prides, with a few Eggs and Spools thrown in for good measure. Cobs, more cobs, and nothing but cobs. Someday I'll branch out, but not until I've got a better handle on the tobacco side of the sport.

My small but proud tobacco collection includes Penzance, FVF, SJF, BWF, SL, PA, and various combinations of those. I've got a list in my mind of what I want to try next, but before do that, I'll ask for advice first.

I did splurge and purchase a Corona Old Boy - rough briar finish. Totally unnecessary, but completely wonderful. Like I said, I splurged.

Enough of the intros. Glad to be here, and looking forward to meeting the gang.

Jim

Welcome to the forum, Jim! It's great to have you here.

MM cobs and some great tobacco... You are off to a great start!

From one Jim in northern California to another, welcome! I'm in the Sacramento area. With all those cobs you should load up on some good, no nonsense burleyweed. Burley and cobs go together like, well, burley and cobs! Uhle's 00 and Perfection plug are a couple of all time fav's of mine, as are Wessex Burley Slices and GL Pease Barbary Coast.

Nice lighter by the way, some primo smoke swag there :)

Jim

Welcome, Jim! Nothing wrong with those great MM cobs! I hope you enjoy your time reading & posting here

"T"

Welcome aboard Jim. Good to see a new smoker who doesn't need to be bullied into trying a cob. But lighting them with an Old Boy?!! That's just wrong! I'll trade you a box of matches and a rusty Ronson knockoff for it. I wouldn't want you looking like a dolt. :pirat:
You're welcome.
-G

Welcome to BoB. Can't go wrong with good ole cobs, so now you can expand your tastes with some fine tobaccos. If you like burley tobaccos please go with Puff Daddy's recommendations they are the BEST burley leaf you can find. I also enjoy L J Peretti burley blends, especially 9575, BPC, and 333.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

I am in the market for a good burley, and I will try Puff Daddy's and others suggestions. I do have a bit of a 14-oz. container of PA left, but I use that for blending only. By itself, I found it had a funny alkali aftertaste, and even beyond that, it lacked a bit of oomph. But for blending it's worked quite well, and seems to impart its better qualities without carrying over its less desirable features. I am looking forward to trying one of the burlier burleys.

George Kaplan":t0x4r6gh said:
But lighting them with an Old Boy?!! That's just wrong! I'll trade you a box of matches and a rusty Ronson knockoff for it. I wouldn't want you looking like a dolt. :pirat:
You're welcome.
-G
Hey thanks George, and yeah, that gold finish really does draw the wrong kind of attention, but let me puff on that just a bit more before committing to a trade. I assume we're talking wooden matches, right?

Jim

Welcome to the forum, you will really enjoy yourself here. I want a Corona Old Boy soooo bad...someday I will get one.