Greetings from Maryland

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Kime

Reaction score
Greetings everyone. :D

I had smoked a pipe for several years, but took a ten year hiatus for cigarettes. Recently cleaned off and polished my briars and went scrounging around the internet to see what forums exist now. I was fairly active in Usenet alt.smokers.pipes ten years ago, but that group has appeared to fallen off in active posters.

Had a very bad case of PAD and TAD (don't know if you guys use that here) when I last smoked pipes, and collected a pretty fair number of pipes running all over the place from Tinskys, Ferndowns, Charatans, danish freehands, etc. I used to store and age pipe tobaccos by the drawer full, but have to start my collection again. Currently smoking some EMP in a 2000 Tinsky X-mas blast. It appears that there are many new brands of pipe tobacco out there now. I remember when GL Pease only had a handful of tobaccos and only available in the 2oz tin. Any recommendations for English or VA Flake tobaccos that have come out recently in the past ten years would be appreciated.

Slowly buffing out my oxidized stems and reloading some old favorites, and am wondering why I dropped the pipe in favor of cigarettes.

Heya James, welcome back to the fold of Briar devotee's and welcome to BoB.

Welcome James!

And yes we use and fully embrace and celebrate PAD & TAD! :lol:

Welcome back to the pipe, but beware, nearly all of us are TAD and even PAD enablers!

"T"

Welcome back to the pipe, James! I have many fond memories of what I smoked ten years ago. Most of the classic blends are still around, though some have changed manufacturers (like EMP) and might taste a little different. Syrian Latakia is now as rare as hens' teeth, though the Cyprian strain is still widely available, and tobacco blenders have made good use of it in new blends. As for new recommendations, score some of the re-released Balkan Sobranie (now blended by JF Germain) if you can, and I've got Hearth & Home's Fusilier's Ration on my short list of Latakia blends to try, as it has received stellar reviews from everyone I've heard from.

welcome back! where your dreams are your ticket out, oh wait that song was for Mr.Kotter... welcome back James!

Welcome to the forum and back to the pipe...I like Cornell and Diehl's blends, and they have a decent variety.