Greetings from Michigan!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fulton

Reaction score
Brothers,

I am a new pipe enthusiast from Ann Arbor, Michigan. I have been frequenting the forums for almost two months (since I caught the pipe bug) and finally felt it was the right time to become a more active part of the community. I purchased my first pipe (a factory-second bent billiard) on a whim after reading a great post about pipes at theartofmanliness.com blog. I LOVED IT! I gave myself a month to try a few different blends and become more adept at the smoking process before furthering my investment. Now (4 pipes later) I have a severe case of PAD. I recently became a member of the NASPC and am still trying to find time to enjoy all of the literature I was sent. When I am able to snap some pics, I will introduce you to my tools of briar. I look forward to interacting with all of you at some point.

Cheers from Ann Arbor

- Fulton

A big ole southern howdy and welcome to the BoB, my northern brother!!! I hope your stay is an enjoyable one! I know it will be as we have lots and lots of very good fellows around here. They'll treat you so many good ways you'll have to like some of them!!! ;)

Please do post pics of your pipes. Most all of us around here are pic whores!!! :lol:

Stick around and post often!! ;) I look forward to seeing you around the boards! :D

Robert

hey fulton! you joined the right briar forum. welcome. post often. we're partial to pictures.

Big Howdy Fulton. Hope you stick around and get to know us. Okay so I gotta ask about the avatar because I know Beebiz is chomping at the bit of his churchwarden. Is there some significance to it?

Falconer":jcmxvhlv said:
Big Howdy Fulton. Hope you stick around and get to know us. Okay so I gotta ask about the avatar because I know Beebiz is chomping at the bit of his churchwarden. Is there some significance to it?
wondered that myself.

(p.s. i'm a post whore.)

Falconer":2zujz8j9 said:
Okay so I gotta ask about the avatar because I know Beebiz is chomping at the bit of his churchwarden. Is there some significance to it?
I too wondered that. But, I couldn't get my green with envy fingers to type the question!!! :shock: :shock:
:lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Robert

Welcome to the group! PAD and TAD present quickly after getting that first pipe. Don't dismiss a tobacco if you fire up a new blend and don't like it right away. I have been suprised how often I come back to one after a couple of weeks and find I like it better. For years I only smoked MB London Blend -then joined a couple of pipe forums and now I have about 10 blends open!

I have been traveling to Ann Arbor for the last couple of years installing some equipment at the Sheriff's dept - great place, but not to good on local pipe shops.

Bob

Traderbob":svfnyxet said:
Don't dismiss a tobacco if you fire up a new blend and don't like it right away.
That is some exquisite, top shelf, unadulterated advise, sir!!!!! ;) ;) ;)

The only thing I would add is to also try the tobacco in more than one pipe. Experience taught me that one! I tried some Frog Morton in a MM cob and in my Bjarne Apple Churchwarden. I hated the taste and my wife hated the room note. Last night, I just happened to try some of the Frog Morton in my old Wally Frank Natural Unfinished Bulldog. It was wonderful!!! And, my wife loved the room note!!! So, in addition to lots of other things, the pipe can have a dramatic influence on a tobacco!! :D

Robert

There is some significance to the avatar Falconer - I am an apiary enthusiast and amateur entomologist. Two successful hives this year, though I didn't reap much honey as I was too afraid to short my buzzing friends overwinter! There's always next year...

Fulton":jvg4j2ra said:
There is some significance to the avatar Falconer - I am an apiary enthusiast and amateur entomologist. Two successful hives this year, though I didn't reap much honey as I was too afraid to short my buzzing friends overwinter! There's always next year...
Here we go! .......BeeBiz take the wheel!

Fulton":bh1svii2 said:
Fulton, that's about as neat as a pocket on a shirt!! I am an ex-beekeeper myself. I had to give my girls up due to my health and inability to properly care for them. If you'd like to read a bit more about my experiences, I would welcome you to check out the thread that I started that is entitled Why Robert is called "beebiz".....

It tickles me to no end to learn of a younger person taking an interest in honeybees and beekeeping! And, it tickles me even more to learn of a beginner's success. Congratulations to you!! In my humble opinion, it is always better to cut yourself short on honey than it is to cut the girls short. After all, I wouldn't like for my next door neighbor to raid my freezer and pantry to the point that my wife and I couldn't survive the winter!!! I have the same thoughts regarding bees!

What kind of bees did you start out with? Did you make your own equipment? Or, did you purchase it? If you purchased it, is it all wood? Sorry for all the questions... but, my inquiring "bee" mind needs to know!!! :lol:

Robert

Fulton":tzc4c3xx said:
Welcome Fulton.. From Allegan Michigan.. You found a great place to learn and share.. Wanted to add a note.. We have been letting a large patch of Michigan Bamboo grow the past few years out in the back yard.. The flowers blossom for two months or more.. When I have gone back there each year it is full of thousands of honey bees.. Not sure where the hive is but they seem protected from bad heath by using these blossoms from the bamboo.. Just saying...
Chuck..

another really nice shot, velveteagle! thanks for posting.

That's a beautiful pic, brother Chuck!! Do you mind if I download it and print it out?

Robert