Greetings from Northern California

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polyphemos

Reaction score
Greetings all, my name is Jim and as you’ve no doubt surmised my forum name is Polyphemos. I’ve picked Polyphemos as a lover of Ancient Greek religion and because, as an amateur astronomer, I observe through my telescopes exclusively using one eye.

For those why may not have not yet read, The Odyssey, Polyphemos was the giant cyclops who had the run in with the pirate Odysseus when he and his band of cutthroats uninvitedly entered his cave and proceeded to eat his food.

Polyphemos ate a couple of the cretins - it was only fair - and they repaid the favor by poking him in the eye with a fire hardened pole. A great story and only one of many in one of the greatest books ever written.

Anyway, Polyphemos I am and I’m glad to make your acquaintance.

Hello Ranger107.

These days I get my literature from audiobooks, and mostly while driving or hiking. Getting the right reader is important but fortunately not difficult. Books like The Iliad and The Odyssey are read by Ian McKellen (aka, Gandalf), and Metamorphosis read by David Horovich and Candide read by Jack Davenport are hilariously subversive satires, and well worth a listen.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome, Ranger

Welcome! Pull up a chair and set a while, it's way better than a sharp stick in the eye. :coffee:;)
From...

Welcome.jpg

Welcome aboard. I have Homer's complete works in my library - as well as Dante's trilogy, another timeless classic - but did not have time to read them, yet.

Glad to have you with us. I remember when I was in the army, in Texas during training, I was walking across a big paved parking area at night and came across two guys fiddling with a nice looking telescope. I asked what they were looking at and one of ‘em said to check it out for myself. So I stepped up to the eyepiece and this is pretty much what I remember seeing…(about fifty years ago)…

IMG_7799.jpeg

Welcome aboard. I have Homer's complete works in my library - as well as Dante's trilogy, another timeless classic - but did not have time to read them,
If you don't read Italian but want an idea of Dante's poetry, may I recommend Dorothy L Sayers' translation?

Glad to have you with us. I remember when I was in the army, in Texas during training, I was walking across a big paved parking area at night and came across two guys fiddling with a nice looking telescope. I asked what they were looking at and one of ‘em said to check it out for myself. So I stepped up to the eyepiece and this is pretty much what I remember seeing…(about fifty years ago)…

View attachment 16545
Thank you for the greeting. Saturn is my favorite celestial body because those rings are just so spectacular through a sharp refractor. I had my last views in January, and I’m impatiently awaiting Saturn’s return in the spring.

One can also view several of Saturn’s moons through an amateur telescope along with cloud bands on the planetary disk, and fortuitously the planets are largely immune from the depredations of light pollution. It’s remarkable what’s possible with a simple instrument you can set up in your back yard.

Welcome Polyphemos! Where in N. Calif. do you call home? Although I now live in Lexington, Kentucky, I still consider Lodi my home town.
Hello, Eutychus, I live between Fairfield and Benicia, about a dozen or so miles from Napa. Honestly, I’ve got a hankering to move back East for the seasons and for greener pastures. Where I live is almost semi-arid, and perfectly clear skies for six months at a time can become monotonous. I good thunderstorm once in a while would be a welcome break, but they’re quite rare here. Lexington sounds nice, and is undoubtedly beautiful.