Greetings from SE Ireland

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogerian

Reaction score
It's early morning here after a night of heavy rains and strong wind. The sky is leaden and we have definitely said farewell to what was an extraordinary summer. As we face into autumn and the isolation of winter it's a good time to reach out to new friends.
I retired from work just over a year ago and, at much the same time, moved from an old Georgian house in the country to a smaller apartment (in a Georgian house) near the city. Shops and other important facilities are now within easy reach. I also got rid of the big car and now have a smaller Toyota which is fine for the amount of driving I now need to do.
Nearly all my pipes are Petersons though I have (unsuccessfully)tried other makes and my choices of tobacco are very mainstream - MacBaren's Scottish Mixture, Mick McQuaid and English Flake which I occasionally order from an excellent tobacconist in Wales. When I read of the amazing selection of tobaccos available elsewhere I am filled with envy. I'm afraid smoking a pipe is no longer as prevalent in Ireland as was once the case and as a result the exclusive tobacconist shops have virtually disappeared along with the choices they once offered.

rogerian":od1dgaac said:
...and my choices of tobacco are very mainstream - MacBaren's Scottish Mixture, Mick McQuaid and English Flake which I occasionally order from an excellent tobacconist in Wales.
Just you wait...

Greetings and welcome to the forums from a fellow european. The US population on the boards probably wont be getting up for another 4 or 5 hours, the lazy buggers.

Retrogasm":3m5cgsb4 said:
rogerian":3m5cgsb4 said:
...and my choices of tobacco are very mainstream - MacBaren's Scottish Mixture, Mick McQuaid and English Flake which I occasionally order from an excellent tobacconist in Wales.
Just you wait...

Greetings and welcome to the forums from a fellow european. The US population on the boards probably wont be getting up for another 4 or 5 hours, the lazy buggers.
Well, three hours, anyway. :lol!:

Welcome, rogerian! I hope you enjoy your time here. I enjoy Mick McQuaid as well . . . which I have to order from Ireland (well, N. Ireland), since the English & Scots won't sell us tobacco

Welcome rogerian! Lazy bugger here where it's presently 7:08 am.

Welcome to the Brotherhood. Stop by as often as you can.

Hi Rogerian and welcome (I'm pretty new here myself.) It's good to have another Ireland dweller on the board. I'm Dublin based, so I'm lucky in having Petersons and Foxes on my doorstep - the situation eslewhere in the country is probably not as good.

Now I have someone who will understand the pain of reding about all the wonderful tobacco the Americans buy and the tiny prices they pay. Maybe we can make common cause with the Aussies who are in the same situation from what I hear (poor selection and huge taxes)

Welcome aboard, all the way from sunny California. Please send some of those winds and heavy rain our way. Thank you. ;) :D

rogerian":aa6xbj42 said:
I'm afraid smoking a pipe is no longer as prevalent in Ireland as was once the case and as a result the exclusive tobacconist shops have virtually disappeared along with the choices they once offered.
Welcome Rogerian :cheers:
That quote made me very sad. I always hold out hope that there are bastions of pipe smoking that remain strong, and I've imagined Ireland in that way. Ah well, we battle on into the future together.
Mike.

Glad to see you on the BoB, Rogerian. I'd love to get my hands on some MMcQuaid! Looking forward to having you on the boards.