Greetings from Tampa Bay!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefRuss

Reaction score
New smoker here (pipes). I am an avid cigar smoker and enjoy the likes of Naturals wrappers and Ligera! What got me into pipe smoking has always been the amazing smell of them and the elegance and class that came along with pipes. I finally took the leap last week and got my first pipe and have been hooked ever since. I really love the pipe smoking community and can't wait to be a part of it!

I will have tons of questions about different pipes and blends, so I apologize in advance.

I'm a 32 year old chef and culinary teacher and enjoy various things.

Thanks all!!

Hi, Chef Russ! Welcome to BoB; I hope you enjoy your new pipes!

"T"

Thank you all!! I look forward to getting to know you all here.

Any recommendations on some nice earthy smooth blends that I should try out? I am enjoying the aromatics that I have started with, but I just got my first tin of Blue Mountain from McClelland... I haven't gotten to smoke it yet because I am sick with the flu, but I look forward to it!! Any other Floridians here?

Good to see you Chef!

Sorry about the flu. This too shall pass.

I'll give you some tobacco recommendations under the caveat that these are among my favorites and work well with my body chemistry:

Old Dog (superb English blend)
Olde Virginia Tobacco Company's Checkmate (good VA blend)
Hearth and Home Blackhouse (Russ Oulette's award winning tribute to Balkan Sobraine)
GL Pease Haddo's Delight

Hope that helps somewhat. Come back and post often.

Tom

tgwilt":028vbqo5 said:
Good to see you Chef!

Sorry about the flu. This too shall pass.

I'll give you some tobacco recommendations under the caveat that these are among my favorites and work well with my body chemistry:

Old Dog (superb English blend)
Olde Virginia Tobacco Company's Checkmate (good VA blend)
Hearth and Home Blackhouse (Russ Oulette's award winning tribute to Balkan Sobraine)
GL Pease Haddo's Delight

Hope that helps somewhat. Come back and post often.

Tom
Thanks Tom!!! I have heard of the Va company and I will be sure to give all of these a try. I will be placing a cigar order next weekend and I will add these to the ticket. I really appreciate it. Yes, I will be here everyday. I'm a forum junkie with my hobbies. lol

Welcome aboard, Chef. At the top of The Tobacco Jar column you'll find a thread entitled "Suggested Blends for the New Smoker", or something like that. Good place to start.

what kind of food is your main focus? My daughter is a pastry Chef, and I dabble in Indian cooking, but just at home. Would love to hear what a refined palette says about different blends

rev

Hey Rev,

Thanks for the welcome...

I mainly enjoy classical French technique and I love Mediterranean cuisine along with Avant Garde cuisine. My families are both from Jamaica and Barbados, so naturally, I fuse Caribbean flavors with that... and also, who doesn't like comfort food? lol Pastries are tough. I can do them quite well, but at times, I lack patience, so it's alwasy good to know a good patisserie chef! I look forward to pairing different blends with desserts and drinks for you guys... I am pretty well rounded in that arena with cigars, I think the transition to pipe tobaccos will be easy and in a sense, better... I think there is a lot more potential for pipes.