Greetings from the Bluegrass State

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the party! From ...
Welcome.jpg

This is a great group, I hope you'll be comfortable here.

Hello! I am taking up the pipe after a 30 year hiatus (and how I wish I had kept my pipes!) I look forward to friendly fellowship, discussion, and the opportunity to ask questions and benefit from your experience and expertise.
Welcome to the group, you should find plenty of "fellowship, discussion, and the opportunity to ask questions and benefit from your experience" around here. What kind of tobaccos were you smoking back 30 years ago?

Hello! I am taking up the pipe after a 30 year hiatus (and how I wish I had kept my pipes!) I look forward to friendly fellowship, discussion, and the opportunity to ask questions and benefit from your experience and expertise.
Welcome to the group!! It is a shame you did not keep some of your pipes but think of all the fun you will have collecting new ones.👍

Welcome from Arizona. I took a 5 year hiatus and came back in 2016. Had acquired maybe 50 pipes, a lot from the 70s when I was in college, Comoys, GBD, BBB, Sasieni, etc. Sold off all but 3. Stupid mistake, lol. But it's been fun building up the collection again. Glad to have you with us. I think you will enjoy our little group.

Welcome to BoB from the Volunteer State. Lexington and area have some good pipe shops with my favorite being Schwabs (Paul's Stuff is a good house blend). North, there is also Strauss Tobacconist (Sleepy Hollow is a renowned blend and Independence worth trying).

http://www.schwabspipesnstuff.com/Swede
Just checked out Schwab's this week. I'll need to look up Strauss. Thanks for the head's up!

Welcome to the group, you should find plenty of "fellowship, discussion, and the opportunity to ask questions and benefit from your experience" around here. What kind of tobaccos were you smoking back 30 years ago?
Thanks! In answer to your question, in addition to tobaccos you pick up in stores, I remember smoking Balkan Sobranie, as well as a brand of Navy Cut tobacco. I was living in the East Bay area out west, and enjoyed a number of house blends of Drucquer & Sons in Berkeley, where I also purchased a number of my pipes.

Estates from Marty Pulvers, Dave Neeb (both have websites), BoBs and Ebay are a good way to save money. Savinelli, Rossi, Peterson, Briarworks (TN made), and new Kaywoodies are good buys. Others may suggest other names.
Thank you! Already I am benefitting from membership in BoB! I loved my Peterson System pipe!

Last edited:
I’ve been all around the Bluegrass. Graduated from UK, lived in Lexington, Corbin, Ft. Thomas and Versailles. Where are you set?

I’ve been all around the Bluegrass. Graduated from UK, lived in Lexington, Corbin, Ft. Thomas and Versailles. Where are you set?
My wife and I live in the Masterson Station neighborhood of Lexington, where we’ve lived for about ten years. And we’ve also lived in Louisville. But neither of us are natives of Kentucky. I’m from the Central Valley of California.