Greetings from the foothills of the Sierras

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SocWorkerSmoker

Reaction score
Hello all. I am so pleased to find such a great site. I am relatively new to tobacco pipes. After sitting unused in a closet for over 35 years I finally convinced my father to give me his pipes. They still smell like the aromatics he used. Reminds me of growing up. I have four of the pipes out to Precision Pipe Repair for revitalization. I am counting down the days to see my father's old pipe shine once again. The collection includes one of each GBD, Ben Wade, Falcon, Kriswell, Jeantet (SP?) and about seven pipes made by S.M. Vottis. So far, I have found that I am partial to English blends, at times enjoy aromatic as long as they are light and really have a difficult time with Virginias. The only way I can describe what I don't like about Virginias is they are to bright (not sure if that is an appropriate way to describe it). Again, thanks for having such a great site

Cheers,
Joshua

Welcome to BoB :cheers: :pipe: Many people new to pipes have 'trouble' with Virginia mixtures at first ... never fear!

Welcome Aboard!! Don't give up on the Virginias. I used to be a Heavy Latakia laden English smoker but I tired of it after awhile. I love the aroma of Latakia but the taste just seemed to be a bit flat and thin to me. Virginias meanwhile with their natural sweetness , have a more of a roundness and fullness to the smoke. IMHO! I bet you would enjoy a good Virginia/Perique blend.

Welcome from another Newb!

A suggestion on those Virginias - give Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake a shot! I tried this and I can't get enough of the stuff!

Welcome Joshua!

I think I understand what you mean by Bright. I have smoked some Virginia blends containing what is I believe is known as Bright type leaf, and it tends to be grassy and sharp, like stinging nettle effect in the mouth.

I see chickens in your avatar. I have three Wyandott hens. They are a year old and lay very well. I don't know what I would do without home raised eggs as they taste much better than the store purchased ones.

Warmest regards,Lisa Marie

Thank you all for such a warm welcome. What a great community & forum.

Lisa Marie - I have four hens, one of each a road island red, a light brahma, an americana and a barred rock. They are all about 1 1/2 years old. I agree, I would never buy store bought again. What a huge difference. Also, the way you describe Virginias is exactly my experience. Other have told me it is because I am smoking too fast and is a common "rookie" mistake. I will have to be more patient I guess because other really rave about Virginias.

Cheers
Joshua

Welcome Joshua and congratulations on inheriting a fine stable of pipes. Personally I love GBDs. I agree with Sailor Jack on his recommendation. Puff in serenity!