Greetings from the great green north.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone I'm Jacques from Northern Ontario Canada, I have been a pipe smoker for a few years now looking to reach out and associate with other pipe smokers. I live in a very small remote town population 1500, I'm literally 5 hours in any direction from a decent sized city and even further from a decent tobacannist, and because of the fact that the only pipe tobacco available locally is captain black gold at the gas station I have spent a few years growing and curing my own tobaccos and smuggling cheap(er) pipe tobacco's from the US. I have a passion for vintage pipes, smelly cigars, neat whisky, and dirty women, gee I hope I fit in here alright. Anywho hello everybody I look forward to becoming part of the community.

Top of the morning to you, Jacques! I think you will fit in just fine. Pipe smoking makes one eccentric, or the eccentric are attracted to pipe smoking. Either way, there is definitely a connection!

Your signature has given me a brilliant laugh this morning, Sir! Thank you much for that.

lol thanks Sean, I actually got my signature of a commercial for wisers deluxe whisky, Its a damn good canadian whisky if you ever see a bottle I recommend grabbing one to try. But the funny thing is I seen the commercial and I laughed and loved the slogan right away and it actually inspired me to grow my moustache just so I could get away with saying it. I bet you could find the commercial on youtube if you search "wisers moustache" Anyways thanks for the courtesy and the warm welcome its 12:30am now though and I need to crash I got kids I need to get to school in the morning. I look forward to checking out the forum more tomorrow. Have a good one Sean and anyone else who travels through here overnight.

Welcome to the BoB forums Jacques! I have a few tins of aged tobacco I would be willing to trade for a dirty woman. Please send pics of dirty woman! :D

@ Hermit, I have thought about ordering off 4noggins for quite a while but I'm worried that customs here in Canada will charge me 100$ on 30$ worth of tobacco, I would need to hear opinions from some other Canadians who have ordered from them and find out roughly how bad they get screwed with customs. Canada is anal about tobacco taxes I have found a cigar dealer from California that sends me "empty collectable tins and bags" that just happen to be unopened. Though his selection on pipe tobacco is limited because he's a cigar dealer and its mostly froo froo candy flavours which I don't exactly care for. I usually grow about 50-100 plants in my yard every summer so my tobacco is supplemented by my homegrown but I get impatient with the aging and sometimes its nice to pay money to smoke a nicely aged tobacco.

Anyways, if there are any Canadians around who have ordered tobbaco accross the border that could give some insight on how it was dealing with customs I would greatly appreciate the help.

Lastly thanks to everyone for the warm welcomes.

Welcome to the forum. In many threads there are others from the wintry north of there who have ordered from 4noggins and orders generally are marked with other contents on the customs label than what is actually in the box....or so I have read on here. Good luck with your own toby growing, I am envious as it is something I definitely want to try in the future. Hope to see numerous posts from you, especially about TAD. :lol!:

@Kaiser, I read on 4noggins website that their policy is to never mark packages as something other then what it is and its 100% buyers risk, but they might just state that on the site for liability reasons, either way I'm a little iffy about it until I can find more info from people first hand. I think it would be awesome if they did I would love to do some shopping. I've had bags mailed to me from other sources marked as t-shirts and socks, tins sent as candy or coffee tins and its worked flawless so far but its from a guy I know on a personal level not actually a business.

Also I look forward to posting pictures of my grow and of my curing process in the fall, unfortunately right now if I took pictures they would be pitiful as all we have had this summer is rain and they thrive in dryer weather, I'm hoping it dries out up here and they perk up soon. Once they start growing they take off fast I swear I've seen them grow 2 inches overnight before. My potatoes are growing awesome though they love the dank wetness, but I can't smoke them.

also if you want to take a stab at growing your own, all you need is some dirt and seeds. you can find seeds online by the thousands for a buck or 2, I bought a pack of 4000, 5 years ago and still have more then i know what to do with and they are still viable too. I got 1000 virgina, 1000 burley, 1000 samsoun(turkish), and 1000 adonis(greek). They also seem to thrive best in sandy soil rather then black earth and are really low maintenance. I've never even needed any fertilizers they just seem to thrive all on their own.

I say if your curious just do it, you could probably even grow them indoors in buckets by the window if you got a good window. 2 or 3 nice plants will cure up into about a pound of tobacco.

Welcome to the forum!

It's great to have you here

Looks like you've found the perfect place to share your interests in smoking, neat whisky and dirty gals! I, for one, am a fan of all three! LoL Cheers!