Grow up! Put down that pipe!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm grateful that the majority of my family see no problem with my pipe. The reason for this is most likely because their father (my grandfather) smoked a pipe for a long time before converting to chewing tobacco. My mom tells me things were better in life when he was smoking a pipe, as the chewing tobacco eventually led to his death.

It gives them nostalgia, no doubt.

In any case, I would not fret over your aunt's comments. Just brush off the comment and go about your business, for it is fairly clear that she is in need of some "growing up" with such a petty comment.

George Kaplan":6t89fki6 said:
My elderly aunts would always sneak up on me at family weddings. They'd slyly poke me in the ribs and, with a silly wink, say "you're next" through grinning dentures.
They left me alone after I started doing the same to them at funerals.
This I like  :lol!: 

George Kaplan":yo0jwlc5 said:
Aunts can be a bother. While mothers have an endless supply of unconditional love, aunts mostly seem to have unconditional criticism. If she hadn't seen you smoking before you came in, she probably wouldn't have noticed and would have found something else wrong with you to bring to attention. My ex-wife had an older sister who would spot us (from inside) smoking on the front porch, with the doors and windows shut. She'd step up to the nearest window and start fake coughing. We'd pretend not to notice, and she'd just get louder and more animated. After a while, it was hard to keep a straight face. She'll make someone a good aunt someday. My elderly aunts would always sneak up on me at family weddings. They'd slyly poke me in the ribs and, with a silly wink, say "you're next" through grinning dentures.
Your'e so nice George  :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: 

George Kaplan":pbict9py said:
Aunts can be a bother. While mothers have an endless supply of unconditional love, aunts mostly seem to have unconditional criticism. If she hadn't seen you smoking before you came in, she probably wouldn't have noticed and would have found something else wrong with you to bring to attention. My ex-wife had an older sister who would spot us (from inside) smoking on the front porch, with the doors and windows shut. She'd step up to the nearest window and start fake coughing. We'd pretend not to notice, and she'd just get louder and more animated. After a while, it was hard to keep a straight face. She'll make someone a good aunt someday. My elderly aunts would always sneak up on me at family weddings. They'd slyly poke me in the ribs and, with a silly wink, say "you're next" through grinning dentures.
 :lol!:  :lol!: 
And comments like this my friends is why we all missed George while he was M.I.A..

Briar Spirit -- Whew! Dear Aunt Ruby sounds like a holy terror. I like the gentle but firm approach -- accomplished mostly though gesture -- because it puts me firmly on the high ground and eliminates any I said / she (he) said follow up. I probably learned this approach from Dad who married into a large, argumentative Irish family who had to shout to survive. He'd have none of this. One of his very successful ploys was to wait for the relative to inhale, at which moment he would say, "Ah, very interesting. Excuse me," and then just walk away. Over time, people stopped using the bully routine on him, learned that normal conversations were possible even with people you disagreed with, and began to treat him with considerable deference. I hadn't thought about that for awhile, so thanks for reminding me:)

Sucks BS , think she'd have a little more tack at such a sensitive family gathering. What can you do other than ignore em, they will get bored after a while :D . Big argumentative irish family sounds familiar lol. He who speaks loudest is whose turn it is to speak at my dad's house fairly often.

KevinM":4vcti5iz said:
One of his very successful ploys was to wait for the relative to inhale, at which moment he would  say, "Ah, very interesting. Excuse me," and then just walk away.
I like it! I'm going to try this next time I encounter one of these people.

My favoite come-back is "Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one!" Then I walk away.

I like the blank stare, shake head and walk away, I really do. But what I prefer is point, and laugh hysterically.

If I may give some meaningful and heartfelt advice...

screw that busybody,

that is all

rev