growing tobacco for pipe blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midnight rider

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone,

I am going to grow some tobacco next spring. I would like to get your input on what
would be the better selections for blending. Below is a list of my choices.

TA116 Tennessee Red Leaf
A fast growing, high yielding tobacco with large leaves that cure to a red color, excellent cigarette and pipe blend.

TA05 Orinoco
A tall tobacco with thick textured, crinkly leaves that produces a rich brown pipe tobacco that is a favorite of pipe smokers worldwide. Also makes a good blending tobacco for cigars and cigarettes.

TA68 Frog Eye Orinoco
Frog Eye Orinoco is one of several varieties derived in part from the original Virginia Orinoco. While it makes a good cigarette blend and cigar filler, our customers tell us that it makes an excellent pipe tobacco, and seems best suited for this purpose.

TA41 Havana 503B
One of the most popular cigar varieties for home growers. An excellent pipe tobacco, it also makes a good chewing tobacco. Will grow 6-7 ft. tall. Cured leaves have a reddish to light brown color. Cured leaves have a silky texture like long rye that makes a good covering for cigars. Has a pleasant, mild aroma and taste much preferred for cigars.

TA63 Wisconsin Seedleaf
A lot of growers use this for a cigar binder, which it is excellent for, but several of my pipe smoking growers tell me that a blend of Wisconsin Seedleaf and Havana 503 makes for a smooth, delightful pipe tobacco that is easily flavored with food flavorings. Plant grows about 5 feet tall with broad leaves.

http://www.seedman.com/Tobacco.htm

thanx

I couldn't reccommend any choices but I did see a video short of a guy
in Wisconsin who grew some burley.It's a lot of work and you need a drying
shed as big as a garage.It reminded me of homebrewing,you have to wait
a time to see if it's any good.See if you can find that video on youtube.

http://www.howtogrowtobacco.com/forums/index.php

Winslow :sunny: