Growley Ramses

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growley

Reaction score
Hey all, I just finished up this pipe a few days ago and wanted to post it. It was a commission requested by one of our BoB-ers. I'm sorry for posting two "not for sale" pipes in a row, but I really liked how this one turned out and wanted to give it it's 15 minutes of fame.

This Growley Ramses shape is taken from Tom Eltang's version of Bo Nord's original Ramses.

Check it out.

IMG_3690-copy.jpg

IMG_3689-copy.jpg

IMG_3687-copy.jpg

IMG_3688-copy.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Brian.

I've got to be honest, of all pipe shapes the Oom Paul and poker are my least favourite (I include Rameses in the term Oom Paul) -- but this, I love. Beautifully designed and executed, and I love the grain and finish. First class!

ruraldean":wjq3vry1 said:
I've got to be honest, of all pipe shapes the Oom Paul and poker are my least favourite -- but this, I love. Beautifully designed and executed, and I love the grain and finish. First class!
I'm right there with you on the Oom Paul pipes. They're probably my least favorite shape. When I saw this style for the fist time though I just had to have one for myself, and now I'm seeing the merits to an "Oom Paul-ish" shape. I love they way they feel just hanging there effortlessly.

Thanks for the compliments.

Brian.

She's certainly gorgeous Brian! I like the way you chose to not make the briar behind the bowl too radical. Looks a lot more smoker friendly in your interpretation.

ArleighBerg":zqhg5urw said:
So it's not a sitter, I take it...
This does make me wonder, though, could Growley make a "Ramses Poker?" Now that would be interesting. 8)

Kyle Weiss":3f1d2dos said:
ArleighBerg":3f1d2dos said:
So it's not a sitter, I take it...
This does make me wonder, though, could Growley make a "Ramses Poker?" Now that would be interesting. 8)
Oh man...now you've got my mind going... That could be one UGLY pipe though! :D I'll have to think about that one for a while...

Growley":kg5xpp96 said:
Oh man...now you've got my mind going... That could be one UGLY pipe though! :D I'll have to think about that one for a while...
I dunno... I think with the right approach it'd be one curios project. 8) Especially if you canted the base so it leaned forward (toward the bowl side) so it could stand up properly.

Well, yesterday was my husband's birthday. This was his present..... :D He LOOOOVVVEEESSSSS it. The finish could not have been better. It ended up being "just" the right color. He is a big dude, 6'2" 220 lbs (think linebacker) and it fits him perfectly. He loves the way it hangs and already has plans to smoke it when he cuts the grass this weekend. That is if all of KC doesn't burst into flames by then
:lol!:

A thousand thank you's to Brian for coming through with the perfect present. The execution could not have been better.

His only complaint...no stamp. Brian, when you do get your stamp I am sending this back to you for branding..

Best,
Scottie

scotties22":koa1y8mf said:
Well, yesterday was my husband's birthday. This was his present..... :D He LOOOOVVVEEESSSSS it. The finish could not have been better. It ended up being "just" the right color. He is a big dude, 6'2" 220 lbs (think linebacker) and it fits him perfectly. He loves the way it hangs and already has plans to smoke it when he cuts the grass this weekend. That is if all of KC doesn't burst into flames by then
:lol!:

A thousand thank you's to Brian for coming through with the perfect present. The execution could not have been better.

His only complaint...no stamp. Brian, when you do get your stamp I am sending this back to you for branding..

Best,
Scottie

Scottie, My stamp actually just came in today! It took a MONTH to get it. When he's ready to part with it, send it on back and I'll stamp her up for ya.

Brian.

Dude, Brian, have I mentioned how sweet your contrast staining has gotten? It's pretty sweet. :)

UberHuberMan":9zzlscvr said:
Dude, Brian, have I mentioned how sweet your contrast staining has gotten? It's pretty sweet. :)
I appreciate that comment! The grain of wood is one of my top-most reasons for loving this hobby. Briar can be so beautiful, I want to do all I can to show it off.

Brian.

Growley":ya23578q said:
The grain of wood is one of my top-most reasons for loving this hobby. Briar can be so beautiful, I want to do all I can to show it off.
Well, you're doing your part as an ambassador of the pipe craft.

Often I'm captivated by a perfect glint of sunlight showcasing the depth and subtlety my briars. Along side delicious wisps of smokey blue, it frames the picture of ideal simplicity, as the pipe and I, we contemplate each other.

(Wow, that came out of nowhere.) :scratch: Stupid poetry. :lol:

Glad the Ramses went to a good home. 8)

I meant to mention some time ago how much I like this one. I like everything about it. The bend, the shape, the stemwork, the finish...everything. I have to be honest...the more I use them the more I appreciate the Oom Paul form and it's variants, of which I assume this is one. As one who smokes 80% of the time while working in my shop I really appreciate a pipe that hangs with little effort and smolders a good long time.

If it had a cap it would be one of the world's most perfect pipes. So there.

Blackhorse":iwcrl0h1 said:
I meant to mention some time ago how much I like this one. I like everything about it. The bend, the shape, the stemwork, the finish...everything. I have to be honest...the more I use them the more I appreciate the Oom Paul form and it's variants, of which I assume this is one. As one who smokes 80% of the time while working in my shop I really appreciate a pipe that hangs with little effort and smolders a good long time.

If it had a cap it would be one of the world's most perfect pipes. So there.

I hear ya there. I mow my lawn and fish with my Ramses. It's my "on the go" pipe.

I definitely consider the Ramses a form of Oom Paul, but the traditional Oom Paul just doesn't hit me well design-wise. I'm going to have to create some new designs like the Ramses that are more stylish.

I for one will be eager to see what you come up with! If there ever was a 'stylin' working pipe...it's that one. I wonder what a Ramses/Cobra would look like. Seems like any variant would have a tall/narrow kind of bowl design which many blends really prefer. I think there's some real work that could be done with this.

Oh! And next time...don't forget that cap! lol

I've been looking at that pipe since you posted it three weeks ago and it is trully one of the MOST beautiful pipes I've had the pleasure of looking at!! I wish I could see it "in person" and hold it in my hand! The way you oriented the grain in the block, the fit and finish overall and the shaping you did with the saddle bit you made are equal to ANY multi k $ Artison pipe I've seen in my many years of pipe smoking ! Beautiful pipe does not say how good it is well enough :p Thank you for sharing it and smoke it well :p (and IMHO, it does NOT need a cap :p )