Guess who's the newest Peterson initiate?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
That's right, kids. It's about time, eh?

The lighting in the pictures didn't do this beauty justice, but I just had to show it off. It's a deep, chocolate brown with a very subtle (and straight with a bottom of fine birdseye) grain. It was one of those I-picked-it-up-and-couldn't-let-it-go things at my Tinder Box. I had it on "hold" for about two weeks until I got some cash.

Peterson "Fermoy" 80S Bulldog (and a big one at that) fishtail...and yes, it's a System pipe!

7100803745_d7ab8da0e0_c.jpg

7100803613_2bf19fa2b5_c.jpg

6954732974_5860db8c84_c.jpg

So yeah, spent a Benjamin on it, but who cares, it was exactly what I wanted. Well, almost--I wanted to try a P-lip, but I know I like the fishtail design--I couldn't let someone else buy it.

So that's it, I got my first Pete. Put a bowl of McClelland 24 and a bowl of Frog Morton in it at the store...just to see how it's going to react. I think it's going to be a wonderful flake/plug pipe, the bowl is just right for what I like. I gotta decide soon, though, because I don't want to chase ghosts if I don't have to.

8)

A word of warning.... You're gonna be hooked now! That's a great looking bulldog, Peterson really knows the bulldog up one side and back down the other, so you can't go wrong with 'em! It does look like a nice flake pipe, but to me it doesn't scream plug. That call is all your own though, enjoy that little beauty.

Thank you! I think I picked a good'un.

Well, my plug ends up getting cut up like flake, and chunked about the same. I don't really do a total rub of flake/plug nor do I stuff-n-fold...kind of an in-between works great. The draw is so smooth on this one I think it'll be dandy for it.

8)

A really nice take on a Classic Peterson shape. If you really want to do the Peterson thing right though, you need a 999. Thats the shape I think of when I think of Peterson.

I'll bet it is, I now mine sure is a good one! I too pack my flakes like that, actually, I tend to slice it very thin, almost to the point of it breaking up when i handle it. Once in the bowl it's almost shag like. Sometimes I intentionally cut it at an angle so one side is thicker and chunkier than the other, makes for an interesting dynamic. Any idea what flakes or plug you'll be stuffing in that bulldog?

That's a beautiful pipe. Nice acquisition. The grain is very nice.

I'll tell you a secret, and probably 3/4 of the guys on this Forum will hang me for it... I have several Peterson System Pipes with the P-Lip. On every one I've carved off the bottom of the bit. carved them off flat and polished them out. I do not like that size and bite pattern. I like the top centered hole, but that bite part underneath just kills my teeth. Years ago 25+ I used to be able to smoke them fine, as my First real pipe was a Pete System 302XL, and after years of smoking it, my teeth pattern adjusted to the over sized bit. Jump to many years later, and a few trips to the dentist, and what happens? The profile of my pipe teeth changed. I carry my pipe on the right hand side of my mouth so I used to have a small gap there where the bit would rest. Having those teeth fixed for cavities, and the Dentist fixed the bite profile in the process, and screwed up my pipe gap. Now I have to either use a regular bit in a pipe, or a fish tail, or on System Pipes, grind down the bottom. :idea: :D

Herb: 999s are usually my shape-of-choice, but like I said, I wasn't going home without this 'dog. The 80S shape is okay, but most of the ones I've held and seen were a little skimpy. this one happens to be cut pretty thick and is the biggest 80S I've held in my hot little hands. It's the perfect size...but don't fret, a 999 will likely be next. Unless I find another 80S that strikes my fancy... 8)

Pancake Man: I do indeed. I think some heavier flakes like my beloved Dark Star, or 2035, or Kendal Plug will be a good one in here. Most likely Jackknife. Stuff that has a LOT of flavor but needs the right bowl to deliver the goods without the harshness. I have a couple of pipes that are keen with the above listed, and this one is extremely similar in draw and bowl dimension.

8)

Hah, well if your Peterson is anything like mine it will LOVE Jackknife Plug! In fact I dedicated mine to JKP. Speaking of that little bugger, I think I might have to load it full and enjoy a bowl right now!

Oh, I understand now. You also might wanna check out the 150, its a hefty bulldog with a big bowl.

The thing I like about Peterson Pipes, is that their lines are so varied, but the quality is always FANTASTIC. They put beautiful pipes in reach of the working mans budget. No matter what your price point, you can get one of their pipes, and 9/10 it will be looking wonderful. Additionally from their posted videos on youtube, their carving and production staff are really nice people and care a lot about the manufacture of their products.

I love my 80s. I was thinking about getting another, but then I spied my friend's "Squire" and thought I would pick up the Kinsale XL15 (same shape). It's basically a big 80s.

Kyle, I think you'll be very happy with your Pete.

That's a NICE,NICE Pete to start out your Irish pipe journey!! They along with Savanelli make some of the nicest production made pipes these day !! I don't know who told you it was a "System" pipe, but the 150, 999, 80 or 80s have never been part of the System range. They are just some of the BEST Bulldog/Rhodesians made :p I agree, your Va Flakes are probably gonna sing in that one :p Here's the current catalog that shows all the System range shapes: http://www.peterson.ie/pipes/CatalogueCOMP.pdf

I'll bet you guys that he breaks that new Pete in with Borkum Riff or that Smoker's Pride he so proudly shows off in his avatar. :shock:

Very nice, Kyle! Makes me want one now.... :(

monbla256":uojgizfq said:
I don't know who told you it was a "System" pipe, but the 150, 999, 80 or 80s have never been part of the System range.
I was scratching my head over that myself. Also, I didn't realize there was any size variation among pipes of the same model number. I would have asked if you were sure it wasn't a XL15, but I can see the markings in the picture. Of course, the 80S shouldn't exist in the Fermoy line anyway, so you may have a one-of-a-kind, reality-defying, mutant over-sized 80S System pipe. Please cut it in half with a band saw to show us all if this is true.
Welcome to the Pete club.

the 150, 999, 80 or 80s have never been part of the System range.
Objection, Your Honor. I have an 80S Premiere, gotten new in 1975, that is a system pipe. I.e., it has a wide-diameter moisture trap drilled the length of the shank, the same way (at least the older) 31 army mounts do (did ?). The airway drilling into the bowl is at an angle to this.

:face:

My St. Pat's is the 80s...perfect in every way except the stain has been bleeding to my fingers a bit! Quite odd to me but since it doesn't affect the smoke I overlook it..

Beautiful pipe and hope she brings you years of fine service Kyle!

Yak":7h1rtju0 said:
the 150, 999, 80 or 80s have never been part of the System range.
Objection, Your Honor. I have an 80S Premiere, gotten new in 1975, that is a system pipe. I.e., it has a wide-diameter moisture trap drilled the length of the shank, the same way (at least the older) 106 army mounts do (did ?). The airway drilling into the bowl is at an angle to this.

:face:
Interesting. I've got an army mount 31 System, so there's certainly room to drill a sump in an 80S, but I've never seen it. I still demand the band saw test from Kyle to verify.

Well, I sawed my pipe in half*, and this is what I discovered:

Unless this is just a matter of nomenclature or labeling, I'd like to think I have a System type Pete "XL" 80S, because often what I've both heard and read is that some Petes are System pipes and others are not. Some years they offer a System pipe in shapes they didn't before. I've heard/read some Petes have a "System-like" drilling but are not "true System pipes."

The physical on mine:

29.85mm deep mortise chamber from the edge, with a 10.15mm wide mortise -- stem is 11.95mm in length at the tenon, non-filter.

As you can see, there is an offset hole up toward the top of the upper corner of the "box" shank...it will not pass a filter with the stem in place, because it seems to dead-end in this odd, cup-shaped reservoir just below the hole...:

7102343953_67aa0f9d34_c.jpg

(...that was a particularly irritating shot to take, shadowing, light, focus...)

So what is it? :scratch: I dunno...my best guess: it's a Peterson, and I think it's amazing. That's about as far as my expertise goes.

8)

*A lie.

I have a 302 system, and It looks like it's drilled the same way. The only thing is it doesn't look like the well is drilled very deep. But I'm guessing it will do the same thing. Looks like a system to me.

One hell of a way to break into a Pete. She is gorgeous!!! Congrats Kyle.