Guess who's the newest Peterson initiate?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SpeedyPete":cilm9n4g said:
monbla256":cilm9n4g said:
SpeedyPete":cilm9n4g said:
A Peterson 80s is not a system pipe.
OOOH your'e in trouble now :p Kyle's is :p
A system pipe has got a DEEP well drilled underneath the airway. The 80s has got a airway drilled off-centre.

I've owned several Pete system pipes and I now own a Sav system pipe which is exactly like a Pete's system.

There's one hell of a difference between an 80s and a system pipe's inners!!

An 80s does not qualify as a system pipe and Peterson don't sell them as such.
You don't have to convince me, I KNOW that! Have for many years! But that's NOT as Kyle s sees it :p CONVINCE him !! :p

Speedy, you missed reading the entirety of the thread. Everyone already drew lines in the sand, and I was satisfied with calling Thurston an "un-System" Pete 80s. I will keep doing so, in fair warning. :) You all can discuss it amongst yourselves. I'm a happy camper.

Monbla, on the other hand, just missed the boat again. Nothing unusual. :p

8)

Kyle Weiss":5z9af72y said:

8)
Boat ? There was a boat? I missed it ? OH MAN :(

George Kaplan":8yee92ix said:
So I printed this thread out and took it down to O'Mally's pub to show it to Sean and Liam. Of course, Sean had to read it to Liam, which took a while with Sean's one good eye still mostly swollen shut from his third fight at his daughter's wedding, so I'm posting kinda late. We discussed your predicament and decided to let you in on a little wisdom, Kyle, since you're obviously too thick-skulled to figure it out for yourself. (Liam's words, not mine)
Simply put, you're smoking it all wrong. In order to be a TRUE Pete smoker, you must learn to embrace all the charms you see as "design flaws" and sing the praises of Dublin briar to any lace-curtain ninny who dares to smoke something else. Get it through your head that the allmighty System works exactly as God intended, whether or not your pipe was meant to have it. The varnish on the upper mid-range pipes is the perfect thickness. The carbon treatment in the bowls makes for just the right number of "break-in seasons". And the green stain on the Christmas pipes will come back to it's glory when our Lord returns. Why do you think they're called Christmas pipes, anyway. The ONLY item open for debate is the P-lip. This debate, by the way, is a welcome occasion for a polite fistfight, but only with your father or mother. Lacking these, your priest is an acceptable substitute, or if Protestant, your mailman. (He's probably your father anyway.) This is all covered in greater detail in the Peterson catalog.
So quit your sissy whining, have a pint, and smoke that pipe like one of us...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/x1q2F_18cjg" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

monbla256":6i88dd48 said:
SpeedyPete":6i88dd48 said:
monbla256":6i88dd48 said:
SpeedyPete":6i88dd48 said:
A Peterson 80s is not a system pipe.
OOOH your'e in trouble now :p Kyle's is :p
A system pipe has got a DEEP well drilled underneath the airway. The 80s has got a airway drilled off-centre.

I've owned several Pete system pipes and I now own a Sav system pipe which is exactly like a Pete's system.

There's one hell of a difference between an 80s and a system pipe's inners!!

An 80s does not qualify as a system pipe and Peterson don't sell them as such.
You don't have to convince me, I KNOW that! Have for many years! But that's NOT as Kyle s sees it :p CONVINCE him !! :p
Hi Brother, I took your post as a "smiley"?!!! So, not trying to convince you, I merely stated the facts.

But yes, it's a Peterson after all and the owner is enjoying it like I enjoy my Pete's.

So what?

I only stirred things a bit to see what rises to the surface!!!!

monbla256":wiwq5e8y said:
Kyle Weiss":wiwq5e8y said:

8)
Boat ? There was a boat? I missed it ? OH MAN :(
It was a yacht, monbla. Maybe even a..........royal yacht? :p
I thought we settled this. Don't make me send Liam down there. :silent:

I guess the moral of the story is, if you want to stir the pot, just post something akin to "I had a positive breakthrough with my Peterson, I think I'm getting somewhere," and everyone starts shittin' kittens. :lol: I didn't realize my success stories was trolling fodder, but... :scratch:

Gotta love the Internet. :lol:

8)

George Kaplan":ik5jdzk3 said:
You know, because of you, I picked up a tin of that stuff yesterday. 8)

Kyle Weiss":s0arwcaq said:
George Kaplan":s0arwcaq said:

You guys and your Royal Yacht.... Makes me wanna smoke a bowl of BCAQ. :mrgreen:

Kyle Weiss":uekvcqsy said:
George Kaplan":uekvcqsy said:
I think you will like it! Just remember, it does have a substantial hit of Lady N in it :p

My confidence / certainty that the 80S is one of the all time great Virginia Flake pipes was shaken there for a little bit.

But only mildly.

Glad you figured it out !

It gets different from an 80S, but not necessarily better. When you get one singing, it is sweet music indeed.

One dip-stained new one excepted, just about any Peterson I've ever had, for that matter.

:face:

Yak":hm3ob06p said:
My confidence / certainty that the 80S is one of the all time great Virginia Flake pipes was shaken there for a little bit.

But only mildly.

It gets different from an 80S, but not necessarily better. When you get one singing, it is sweet music indeed.

One dip-stained new one excepted, just about any Peterson I've ever had, for that matter.

Well, all along I had a feeling that there was something I could do to put the Pete in my favor. It's a gorgeous pipe, nothing saying to me "this one's a dud," and I knew the tobacco wasn't a problem.

So I just picked up a few princess baccas AND a princess pipe. :lol: Lucky me.

I still have some plate-spinning work to do with it all, but I'm glad I had a breakthrough!

...as for the rest of ya, I'll find out what Royal Yacht is like soon enough. 8)

Nice! I have two Pete's myself (an outdoor d6 and a killarney 120) and love them both. Ive been wanting to add a bulldog to my collection as well.

Kyle Weiss":thdhmlj3 said:
Yak":thdhmlj3 said:

But only mildly.

Well, all along I had a feeling that there was something I could do to put the Pete in my favor. It's a gorgeous pipe, nothing saying to me "this one's a dud," and I knew the tobacco wasn't a problem.

So I just picked up a few princess baccas AND a princess pipe. :lol: Lucky me.

I still have some plate-spinning work to do with it all, but I'm glad I had a breakthrough!

...as for the rest of ya, I'll find out what Royal Yacht is like soon enough. 8)
Brother Kyle, my most beautiful and beloved bulldog is a Donegal Rocky 80s. At pipeclub meetings, it always draws some compliments. I smoke it more than any of my other bulldogs (I've got 8 'dogs).

Your 80s really is one of the most beautiful available, as far as I'm concerned.

My biggest "problem" with Peterson pipes is the bloody dye/stain/paint/rubbish INSIDE the bowl. I've tried breaking in a Pete without removing this crap but had to sand it out eventually. It takes a lot of elbow grease and even more swearing to remove this obstacle.

Now, Peterson make excellent pipes, we all know that. Otherwise they would have been out of business a long time ago. If only they would put the extra dye, which go into the bowls, up their backsides, I won't hesitate to by some more of their products.

As for Royal Yacht, do yourself a favour and buy at least one tin. I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed.

Take care now.

Pieter

Nice Kyle! I'm finding Petes are no crap shoot.

This is probably my best smoker.

petebulldog.jpg

I joined the ranks of the Peterson loyalists today too. My wife and children conspired against me and bought me a Aran 999 fishtail. Absolutely love it! Hooked is an understatement.

Yo, Pete --

You're doing it the hard way. Get you some cotton balls, some high-proof alcohol (Everclear or whatever your nanny state lets you have), an eyedropper, and some tweezers.

Put a cotton ball in the bowl and wet it with alcohol. Repeat & repeat until the bowl cavity is full of alcohol-damp cotton. Just don't let any get on the outside, or your finish will be ruined. A cleaner in the stummel will absorb some for the part of the shank ahead of the mortise.

Prop it level and upright. When the cotton's taken on the stain color, remove the cotton balls and repeat with fresh ones. Same with the cleaner (pull it out and check).

When the stain's been drawn out of it, give it a good day or two to dry out before you smoke it.

It's a shame they're still doing this (?) -- from what I read, they stopped doing it in response to widespread complaints. Then again, pipes can be in the "pipeline" from the factory to the smoker for a decade ; it may be you got an older one (?)

Still, as you've noted, even with the initial hassle, they're great tasting pipes from the first trip around the block.

PS : I'd recommend the same procedure for any pipe with an interior bowl coating, noting that it's easier when they're un-smoked. Down the road, that coating is going to be a barrier between the briar and the tobacco ; the synergy that can happen between them is where a well broken-in, really great-tasting pipe with the right tobacco really excels. The coated one may well taste better initially, but it will come to be up against a limit as to how well (& how far) it can develop (what it can ripen into).

FWIW

Yak":kmm3yzmo said:
Yo, Pete --

You're doing it the hard way. Get you some cotton balls, some high-proof alcohol (Everclear or whatever your nanny state lets you have), an eyedropper, and some tweezers.

Put a cotton ball in the bowl and wet it with alcohol. Repeat & repeat until the bowl cavity is full of alcohol-damp cotton. Just don't let any get on the outside, or your finish will be ruined. A cleaner in the stummel will absorb some for the part of the shank ahead of the mortise.

Prop it level and upright. When the cotton's taken on the stain color, remove the cotton balls and repeat with fresh ones. Same with the cleaner (pull it out and check).

When the stain' been drawn out of it, give it a good day or two to dry out before you smoke it.

It's a shame they're still doing this (?) -- from what I read, they stopped doing it in response to widespread complaints. Then again, pipes can be in the "pipeline" from the factory to the smoker for a decade ; it may be you got an older one (?)

Still, as you've noted, even with the initial hassle, they're great tasting pipes from the first trip around the block.

PS : I'd recommend the same procedure for any pipe with an interior bowl coating, noting that it's easier when they're un-smoked. Down the road, that coating is going to be a barrier between the briar and the tobacco ; the synergy that can happen between them is where a well broken-in, really great-tasting pipe with the right tobacco really excels. The coated one may well taste better initially, but it will come to be up against a limit as to how well (& how far) it can develop (what it can ripen into).

FWIW

I thank you, brother! I will treat every new pipe (excluding Pete's) like this in future.

Before I buy another Pete, I will make pretty sure the dye is where it's supposed to be; ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE BOWL !!!!

Cheers!!!