Guinness Recipe's

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokeyTweed

Reaction score
My personal favorite is the Black and Tan

1/2 Amber ale
1/2 Guinness spooned on top

Now this is up for debate but i use Kilkenny for the tan part, while if i order one in a generic bar i get a pale beer when i know its supposed to be an amber ale.

Also a black velvet

1/2 Champagne
1/2 Guinness

This is actually a lot better tasting then you would think

Anybody got anything more to suggest for a man who sends his guinness back if it isn't poured right?
(it is the only snobbish thing i do but up here its usally $7 a pint!)

You won't get it in a bar, but when I saw "Guinness recipes" I immediately thought of this:
Guinness cupcakes!
Chocolate + Guinness = crazy delicious.

(I also used to have a great recipe for a Guinness-based beef stew, but I lost it.)

We called the Guinness & Champagne recipe a Velvet Hammer, and yes, they taste like Koolaid on a hot day. When I worked in Jamaica a while back, my friends drank a lot of "juice", which was probably 50% Guinness, 40% fresh carrot juice, and 10% sweetened condensed milk. It's better than it sounds.

Natch

I am going to try and forget I even saw the words Black and Tan. :lol:
Black velvets are nice.
Guinness floats with vanilla Ice cream are also tasty

At most of the Irish themed pubs here in the southeast USA,
a Black and Tan = Guinness floated over Bass ale
a Half and Half = Guinness floated over Harp
a Black Velvet = Guinness floated over champagne
a Black Fog = Guinness with a shot of Chamborg
a Snakebite = Guinness floated over Woodpecker or similar cider
sometimes called a Black Apple or Poor Man's Black Velvet

Jim

No unique/new recipes from me. The wife and I do enjoy B&T's and "arf and arf's!"

Kilkenny for Harp is OK with me; like'em both. I prefer not to substitute the Bass, however.

For those who order Guinness in Canada or the States....Is your stout served cool, cold, or room temp? The reason I ask is that on our last trip through Ireland, the Guinness was served ice frappin' cold :evil: Explanation....We do it to piss off the English, who prefer their beer warm!! I had ice crystals floating in one draft! :no:

BTW...Guinness also brews another stout called Northstar. A bit smoother and creamier than regular Guinness. Also, should you ever get to the south of Ireland, the Kinsale (lovely village by the sea) Brewery brews a "Kinsale" stout that is out of this world good :lol: I spent two evenings drinking Kinsale stout and smoking Cuban cigars!! :cheers: FTRPLT

In Canada they serve it cold, but most tenders here (except in traditional irish pubs) can't pour a pint to save their lives. So i figure a place that can pour a proper pint is a place a man can sit and have a few.

I once had a guinness poured to me in a mug with a handle that had no head... :affraid:
It was her first guinness ever and had no idea what she was doing so I actually had to talk her through it but i also realize there are millions of things i assume i can do but can't to save my life so i let her off with a laugh and a smile.

All the pubs I've been to in the US, Canada and southern Ireland have served Guinness cool to cold. On my first trip to Ireland we stopped at a pub on the west side of the square in Galway. They had two taps for Guinness...one regular and one labeled ice cold Guinness. I asked the bar tender what was the difference. He replied there was none as both kegs were kept in the same cooler and it was just to please those who preferred their Guinness cold. I'm guessing he meant the same thing about the English only in a reverse manner.

Jim

ftrplt":ec5k3ewj said:
For those who order Guinness in Canada or the States....Is your stout served cool, cold, or room temp? The reason I ask is that on our last trip through Ireland, the Guinness was served ice frappin' cold :evil: Explanation....We do it to piss off the English, who prefer their beer warm!! I had ice crystals floating in one draft! :no:

:cheers: FTRPLT

Guinness and lemonade.

Seriously, it's awesome. I used to drink them in the summer at the old bar I worked at.

Benjamin Button":9qb6ezvh said:
Guinness and lemonade.

Seriously, it's awesome. I used to drink them in the summer at the old bar I worked at.
I love a shandy in the summer (lager and lemonade), so I can see that working.

One quick question, BB: you mean American lemonade, right? Not the Brit/Carib meaning which is a soft-drink like Sprite?

Doc Manhattan":efhoyz83 said:
Benjamin Button":efhoyz83 said:
Guinness and lemonade.

One quick question, BB: you mean American lemonade, right? Not the Brit/Carib meaning which is a soft-drink like Sprite?
Correct. American lemonade. It's really tasty. Pour it like a Black and Tan with the lemonade on the bottom. People will be absolutely disgusted or confused by this black and yellow mixture but if they try it, they will be shocked. :D

i am definetly going to have to try the lemonade this summer...if it evergets warm enough to do so!

If you can get it; try Schweppes Bitter Lemon for your Shandy's!! Gives the drink quite a "pop!" Many English pubs make their Shandy's this way. FTRPLT

Doc Manhattan":wph1m9ue said:
Benjamin Button":wph1m9ue said:
Guinness and lemonade.

They call it a radler in Germany, where I started drinking beer... but they usually use sparking lemonade (like italian lemonada as opposed to american style). Very good and more refreshing than a beer. I'm gonna try the Guinness version in a few minutes i think.

Second, my Guinness recipe:

The Guiness Milkshake (largely inspired by the Irish Carbomb, which tastes like a milkshake)
Mix in a blender:
most of a bottle of guiness (depending on the consistency you want and how much ice cream you use, or if you want more flavor, open it ahead of time and freeze it— you don't need the carbonation anyway)
vanilla ice cream
optional:
Irish cream (bailey's carolan's, etc.)
Irish whiskey (we usually use jameson)

It's surprisingly delicious. Inspired by the success of this, we tried a bourbon shake with hagandaas honey-vanilla icecream. It was good but a little disappointing. Next up is a Scotch shake, hopefully that tastes like a rusty nail.

I had black velvets at my wedding. The best man and I are both guinness fans and had to have it.

...I also get annoyed at a poorly poured pint.

OOoooh I can't believe I didn't see this thread; I love layered beers.

Black and Tan= Guinness and pale ale (usually Bass)
All Irish Black and Tan=Guiness and Smithwick's

Half and half=Guiness and lager (usually Harps, but when first started drinking these in Austin, they made them with something called Celis)

Eclipse=Guiness and Blue Moon
Snakebite=Guiness and Woodchuck apple cider (try it; it's very refreshing)

I thought this was about recipes to make Guinness-type stout. :lol:

I have made something similar while brew making using chocolate malt grain, crystal malt grain, strong brewed coffee and dark malt extract.

Lisa Marie

Lees":73jxd1nd said:
I thought this was about recipes to make Guinness-type stout. :lol:

I have made something similar while brew making using chocolate malt grain, crystal malt grain, strong brewed coffee and dark malt extract.

Lisa Marie

I brewed this recipe a few years ago,,,the book called it chocolate stout,,,great with liverwurst on pumpernickel,,,pretty hearty and not an everyday drink, damn near a meal in itself,,,kinda balked at adding the coffee, but it worked out,,,,black as midnight with the nicest brown head,,,the tiniest carbonation bubbles I've ever seen,,,

I also enjoy shandy, (guiness and lemonade) it's a hard sell to get someone else at the bar to try it,,,but they'll sit there and drink Skunkbreath draft all night,,,, :lol!:

Hi Mark,

That's why I'm not a big fan of stout due to it being on the heavy side. Your recipe sounds good. I forgot to mention that I also added a cheesecloth bag of Lapsang Souchong tea to give it a smokey flavour. I like to experiment. Right now I have a batch of part Premier malt and a half gallon of sorghum syrup and part corn syrup fermenting. We were given several quart jars of sorghum several years ago, made by a local farmer, and I started to use the syrup for brewmaking as we don't often have it, but the occasional pouring it over corn bread. Yummy! The sorghum adds slight sour notes to the beer.

Regards, Lisa Marie

I must say that I love Guinness. I always have. I am partial to having it right after a nice straight shot of Irish Whiskey to go down with it. I could drink that all night. I found a link for some Guinness Cup Cakes that I have yet to try. http://www.irishcentral.com/food-and-drink/Guinness-and-Baileys-Irish-cupcakes-65781932.html

I was wondering, are there any particular tobaccos that you enjoy while drinking a pint of Guinness or perhaps with some Jameson or Bushmills???