Gun control in Switzerland

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JustPipes said:
Why do you think Al went to Canada? They have that whole rose colored glasses thing going on!
Not at all, this is just what i found when I got here. The observations come from trying to figure out how two outwardly similar neighboring societies came to be so different in some ways.

I grew up in a gun carrying culture, and had on rare occasions carried a short gun for "protection". There were areas in my home town I would not have ventured after dark armed or not.

In Toronto there are now some areas like that, but that has changed since I have lived here, mostly the result of Asian gangs who came in as "refugees", and set up shop and are fighting over drug dealing.

When I first came to Canada there wasn't a place in Toronto that I felt unsafe to visit, except maybe the docks, at late night, and I would suggest that is true of any port city in the world.

Dover Pipes":t4locufh said:
Al, look at your stats. They are from cities that have some of the STRICTEST gun control laws in the USA!!! The reason why they are so high is because THE VICTIMS DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO LEGAL FIREARMS IN THESE CITIES!!!! THAT'S WHY THEY ARE VICTIMS!!!! Pull some stats from cities / states where there is full carry / ccw laws that enable law abiding citizens to protect themselves and you'll see number as good (if not better) than Canada!!! Once again, it's an unfair compasrison by the "anti-gun" lobby (US & Canada).
DP,

Someone may have cooked the stats, but not me. I think that the stats came from Wiki article, but am not sure. What is important here is that the number of crimes involving guns is much, much lower here, and so are the number of "gun accidents". I follow US news from Detroit, and while Detroit may not be the poster child of American cities, there are a disturbingly frequent stories about "accidental" shootings involving children playing with their parents guns, or kids taking the guns to school,, etc.

I don't even agree with all the Canadian gun laws, especially as they apply to long guns. I have a "hobby farm" and have kept chickens, which means you have varmit problems from time to time. A rifle or a shotgun is just another tool for any one raising any type of animals, whether the varmits be 'coons, coyotes, wild dogs, etc. The laws tend to be written by people who live in cities, and they don't have the perception of guns as tools, so their legislation tends to reflect this blindness.

I wasn't even proposing gun control for the US. The point of the Swiss situation is that every household is "armed" if they have had a member who has done their military service. You noted the gun storage locker that was shown in the video, so they probably require safe storage too. And all the Swiss would have under gone training in gun handling and marksmanship. I have no idea what their laws are on short guns.

The videos that followed about the fast draw artists were fascinating, and the handgun holds a mystic place in the American self image of its history. A kind of skewed image, since the reality was far different from the Hollywood version (which somehow we tend to accept without question). A friend who was a very serious student of the history of the American West noted that most gunfights were won not by the best shot, but the fastest on the reload. It being very difficult for most people to hit much of anything with a pistol at any distance, let alone a target that is moving and shooting back. According to him the "typical" gunfight had both guys emptying their guns in futile fire, and then one guy shooting the other because he got reloaded first. The guys like Hickock who were accurate with a handgun were the exception, not the rule.

I don't know what the answer is, but it isn't seeing a threat in everyone who comes to knock on your door. The America I grew up in we never locked the door unless we were going to be away for an extended period. I never had a door key as a child.
My parents might have been critical of the party in power, but there was no question of thinking that either party was "making war" on the people. It seems a lot of Americans have the expectation that they are going to called upon to use their guns, whether against a criminal threat or "to water the tree of liberty.." against their government. And its not like we in Canada will not be affected if things go to hell in a hand basket in the US, plus all my family lives there still.

DP...not disputing your stories, but I do find that interesting. Admittedly, I've only been around for 20 years, but the only violence I have ever seen was police beating people up. I had the misfortune of witnessing downtown beat cops attack a woman with Down Syndrome who was visiting a festival from a group home when I was about 16, but other than that, nothing that I can think of other than stupid things like bar fights.

It's just an interesting thing that you have personally experienced so much crime, whereas I bet if we took the sum total of all Canadians on here, it still wouldn't add up to what you have had to deal with.

As Al was saying, I can't think of very many places in Edmonton where I would not walk alone at night. Maybe downtown in the older areas, but also as Al said, that's true of every town. In fact, I find it much more uncomfortable to be out in broad daylight in Phoenix and see people carrying weapons. I have no idea what those people are like, what they're capable of or thinking, and I find that to be a disconcerting thing. It's probably mostly a difference in political culture, because it's amazing to me that you guys are discomforted by walking down the street, and seeing people who have the ability to kill you with so little effort.

*Shrug* I guess maybe that is a question - why doesn't that make you uncomfortable?

And this was the sort of statistic that I was referring to:

Approximately 70 percent of the total murders in the U.S. are committed with firearms, versus about 30 percent in Canada.[11]
And murder rates in the US are still much higher than Canada.

Anyways, it's an interesting discussion. I don't want to debate it, I just find it a fascinating difference between our countries.

One thing to remember HM.. Dover is in the Law Enforcement field..he will see things that will make a normal person throw up.

And interesting you bring up cops beating a down syndrome person.. Contrary to what Babylon has programmed us to believe that is exactly the type of tyranny that the Second Amendment is designed to suppress.. The ability to defend myself from/ bring harm upon other citizens is a secondary and unassociated argument from either perspective... The original intent (from what I gather) was to provide the citizen the ability to defend himself from/bring harm upon the State. It was intended that the State would fear the people, not that the people would fear the State.
How twisted that the tables have turned so far that the actual verbalization of that thought places the citizen in danger of the tyranny of the State.

HistoryMajor, The difference between my experiences and yours are different,, granted. Many of those situations were being in bad areas at the wrong time. The Baltimore incident was me simply being a lost "tourist" walking from my hotel to the Inner Harbor and not knowing that I was walking through a bad neighborhood. The "local youth" saw an opportunity to go after people who were obviously lost. I can safely say that I am generally aware of where "I can & can't go" in areas I am familiar with.

As Puros_bran stated (I thank you for the back up PB), there are many things that I have encountered that most people never will (either in the US or Canada) see, or be a part of. I do tend to get involved if I see somone in distress, where as you may run the other way. That doesn't make me any better than you, just different. I am sure you have never been involved in a situation where you had to defend (partner, friend, neighbor, etc) somone else from a knife / gun wielding thug. I have. Once again that's my choice. Not everyone (in your world or my world) would make those tough choices in life.

As far as cops beating a girl with down syndrome, I take it that happened in Canada.
I can't speak for or defend the actions of others. Based on your statement, any normal person would be horrified by that.
Just playing devil's advocate, don't always believe what you see. You don't always know the whole story...............

A little more time on this planet may just make you feel slightly different on topics like this.
I always liked the saying, "A liberal is someone who has never been the victim of a crime" :p

PS: I would still help you if you asked for my help, w/o any reservations!!!! STAY SAFE IN TH NORTHLANDS!!!!!!!

DoverPipes":l0s06dq2 said:
Since violent crimes are a smaller fraction of all crimes, the difference between the two countries is less than the homicide rate might make it seem, and the overall rates are generally close (see Crime in the United States).

Furthermore, in recent years, the gap in violent crime rates between the United States and Canada has narrowed due to a precipitous drop in the violent crime rate in the U.S. For example, while the aggravated assault rate declined for most of 1990s in the U.S. and was 324 per 100,000 in 2000, the aggravated assault rate in Canada remained relatively steady throughout and was 143 per 100,000 in 2000. In other areas, the U.S. had a faster decline. For instance, whereas the murder rate in Canada declined by 36% between 1991 and 2004, the U.S. murder rate declined by 44%. [8] Surprisingly, both Saskatoon and Regina consistently have Violent Crime rates that would place them among the 10 most violent cities in the US, and often individually exceed larger US centers in terms of Total numbers for Aggravated Assaults and Robbery.
In 2004 the murder rate in the U.S. dipped below 6 per 100,000, for the first time since 1966.[8]

Canada\'s total population (2009 Estimate): 34,630,000
United States total poulation (2009 Estimate): 309,162,581

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Canada

We\'ve argued this before. The bottom line for me is, I\'d rather have the right & ability to carry a firearm and be able to defend myself if I needed to. Like the saying says, it\'s better to have it and NOT USE it as opposed to needing it and NOT HAVING IT.

PS: From personal experience: I have had people attempt to rob me in New Orleans, New York City, Baltimore & Boston. (All wonderful cities that have STRICT gun control I might add :p ) Each time I was prepared and had my firearm ready and available, thus ending the attempts. I was lucky, two had knives and the others were strong arm / intimidation / group attacks. I simply had the superior firepower. In all cases, the \"local youths\" were held for police and subsequently arrested for their misdeeds.

I never fired a shot, lucky for them. I have also stopped several crimes in progress where others were being victimized (at least four attempted rapes, several violent felony assaults, one arson attempt, and a parental \"kidnapping\" in a shopping mall) This is over a period of time in excess of 22 years!!!

I will also add that I do have the ability to carry firearms throughout the US due to my occupation & the fact that I am also CCW licensed (as a private citizen in several states, in addition to my occupation). This is one of the things that I am glad for. I do feel sorry for those who don\'t have the same abilities as I do........

STAY SAFE OUT THERE!!! (Including you guys in Canada :D )
PPS: Al, I know what you are saying. If we had the answers, we wouldn't be here talking about it.

what the fuck?

I didnt write all that. What bible waving moderator changed my post? All I stated was to the effect that I wasnt bible waving hippies off my land.

and for your deacon dipshits: I am completely lawful. Have used lethal force as the law allows to protect my life and 3rd person life.

And that's the bottom line. Oh and I don't need anyone to back me up as I understand US law.

Texas Outlaw... Nobody messed with your post or anything else your dreaming up.. But if you'd really like to persist in violating board rules You can be shown the door.

I always find it hilarious when some fat dipshit taunts an ex marine from a thousand miles away :lol:

FYI: This isn't a paying gig for Jason, Myself or our Mods. We do it for you guys and for a love of the hobby. We tolerate alot and have banned less than five members in total through our years of running this board. Unfortunately Texas Outlaw was'nt looking for a spirited debate. We actually encourage that. Everyone has a voice here who ever you are. TO was really just looking to antagonize and troll. It wouldn't be tolerated by anyone. The decision was made to cut him loose....

Dover,
I had a big diplomatic message typed up but the bare truth of it is. He has been on and off the board for about a year being ugly.. He got mad and pouted up and left last time he was called on it.. But He returned.. He came on here being very ugly last night for no reason other than to be ugly.. I don't like ugly.

As to his charge: Anyone that can read can tell that it was a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote(another reason I hate when guys do that) but he made the choice to call me out.. (Edited in: the whole kicker of it was, I wasn't the one quoting anybody.. I hadn't did much besides post some videos and tell guys to keep their heads down)Also if you'd like you can look under a post and see if it has been edited and who edited it...

I didn't do anything.

I went to my closet and got my bullet proof vest, put it on and stayed away from that thread.
Ed

No sweat fellas. I figured he hadn't read the posts from start to finish.
I couldn't figure out the whole "deacon" comment. Then I remembered the whole "Turkey Incident" and I figured out who it was.
I can't for the life of me figure out why PB would be the target in this debate. He was barely involved in it, other than starting things off......

Oh well :eek:

Guest":uvgc9nyl said:
Gun Control in Texas:

You stay the fuck of my property and I'll contol myself and not shoot you in the ass.

I am THE Texas Outlaw and I approve of this message.

And If you ain't down with that, I got two words for you....
Yeah, does this sound like someone looking for a socially pleasant get together?

Most of the time everyone here keeps a degree of respect, even when there is disagreement over those classic hot topics: politics, religion, cobs vs. "common sewers", etc.

We come here to share our joys, and sometimes our sorrows, of our common love: the pipe and its tobacco.

In one post he managed to tell one and all to "stay..of(f) my property"..or I'll shoot you, and if you didn't like that message well..[two words] which I assume are "f'ck off". Kind of a 1%er type response.

Good riddance to bad rubbish. IMO

Al (in Canada)

DoverPipes":y2bqngtl said:
No sweat fellas. I figured he hadn't read the posts from start to finish.
I couldn't figure out the whole "deacon" comment. Then I remembered the whole "Turkey Incident" and I figured out who it was.
I can't for the life of me figure out why PB would be the target in this debate. He was barely involved in it, other than starting things off......

Oh well :eek:
PB pissed him off awhile back so he was just trying to get back at him IMO. :albino: