Guns

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Confidence Cohen

Reaction score
Hello, brothers. I am looking into getting a new firearm. I believe that I'm going the route of a 1911. As for brand, I'm not sure. I'm not looking to spend an insane amount. I'd like to stay under $1000. However, I'm willing to go more if it REALLY were to be worth the extra green. Suggestions?

Something to consider: I probably won't be carrying this one daily, but I would like the option to be able to conceal carry it. ITW holsters work well for me. I'm able to carry a full sized glock without much printing on my untucked shirt.

Colt is of course the original and tried and true 1911, but I personally love the Springfield Armory 1911. When I bought min in 2005 they were out-performing the Colts in competition all over. I also removed the wood grips(saved them of course) and put a Hogue wrap around on it which makes it extremely comfortable to hold and shoot. I'd definitely include Springfield Armory in your decision making process. Seven years of shooting it and not a jam or problem to this day.

1911s have always looked a little clunky to me. This in .45 cal is the handgun of my preference.

SIG226.jpg

My preferred choice, the Glock 30, when I feel the need to conceal, is still in .45 caliber.....

glock.jpg

My personal carry weapon used to be the Glock 22 gen 4. I now carry the Springfield xd40 subcompact. I normally have the short mag in it for concealment and the extended mag in my pocket in case, god forbid, I have to reload.

The .40 cal is my normal size. But 1911s don't come in .40, typically.

Don't ever mess with a guy who smokes a pipe because one will never know...

BTW any men pack a guide rod lasermax in a Glock? Your experience would be appreciated.

There's a ton of options for a 1911/A, and very few "bad" ones. The only limit is what you're willing to spend. Personally I've enjoyed models from Taurus, Kimber, Dan Wesson and Colt. All varying years of manufacture, etc.

I'm not a Glock guy. They never felt right to me.

8)

My first choice would be a Kimber and my second would be the new Remington. Both are excellent guns and have the features that most people want. My carry gun is a S&W Model # 940. A five shot 9mm wheelgun. Easily hidden and always works.

My preference is for a revolver. A mite heavier than some of the plastic automatics, but more punch per round in the magnums...my carry is a S&W Model 19 Combat Magnum, in the 2.5 inch barrel.

Cohen, go to m1911.org for advice. You'll find a lot there. I like Nighthawk and Les Baer, but they're a bit more expensive than what you might be looking for. An option for you might be to get a stock gun from a good maker and have it worked by a good gunsmith. Good luck with your search, 1911 are great guns.

LIPIPE":pygzm2sm said:
Don't ever mess with a guy who smokes a pipe because one will never know...

BTW any men pack a guide rod lasermax in a Glock? Your experience would be appreciated.

I've never been much of a fan of Lasermax, but their guide rod laser seems to be less prone to failure(varying accuracy) due to rough treatment. Having said that, I prefer Trijicon nite sights. They are available in green and orange, so it is possible to combine one of one color with two of the other for very low light conditions and they have a half life of about 11 years.

Keep in mind, a handgun is to protect yourself until you can get to wherever the hell you left your rifle :lol!:

I LOVE 1911's. PERIOD.

But if I were.going for 45 acp I'd go with the S&W 625 JM.
A better option for homedefense? The Judge by Taurus or the Governor by S&W.

Now as for your original question. Springfield Armory Loaded will shoot with anything out there. I own a Kimber, it's sweet, but honestly the Springfield performs as well for half the price.

I'll second KIMBER if you must have a 1911... They are fantastic. Especially the Pro Carry II

...and if you just want a perfect handgun, I'll second the SIG 226 ;)

I own a Springfield 1911. I haven't shot her a whole lot, probably 1500 rounds, but I have not had a single issue with the gun....cheap mags on the other hand. :roll:

I also own a SIG 229. Both pistols are pretty big to pack. I prefer the slimness of the 1911, but it is way too heavy. The SIG handles like a dream, but prints something awful when I carry.

FWIW:

Kimber Ultra Carry II and Ruger LCP in .380 when in light summer clothing... Those are the favorites, at least.

Revolvers for woods work. Rifles for hunting. Shotgun for home.

I love my LCP the most, though. It's easy to carry, easy to conceal, and light. All of those factor in meaning that you will likely carry it with you the most.

Other than the LCP, I'm not a fan of combat tupperware. No Glocks.

ADK

I know I'm the new guy so take everything with grain of salt.

Having bought and worked on the majority of 1911s models produced, for myself and for fellows that compete in IDPA/USPSA/3Gun I have gleaned some knowledge on this style of pistol. The 1911 is not for everyone, most folks either love or hate this pistol and you will hear stories over the entire spectrum about this old pistol. If you are willing to take the plunge then I offer this opinion.

Kimber: A well known and respected 1911 maker, solid pistol can be had between $700 and $1200 depending on make and model
Colt: Oldest name in the game and know how to make a 1911, factory new pistols can be hard to come by but lots of used kitchen table gunsmith colts on the market, price: $800 to $1300
SpringField Armory: A known pistol maker with a decent record on their entry pistols and very respected on their high end stuff $600 to $1300
Smith and Wesson: Well known firearm maker but relatively new to the 1911 game, makes a solid 1911 for not a lot of $$$ but their highend stuff is out of this world, $550 t0 $1900
Ruger: Another well known make and brand new to the 1911 game. Sussed out a sample not too long ago and got to say, best deal on the market right now, $600 to $800
Remington: Yet another well known maker also new to the 1911, another fantastic buy for the money $600 to $800

But, the secret to a good running 1911 is in the choice of magazine. I've used Metalform, Mecgar, Chip McCormick, Colt, SpringField, Checkmate, Wilson Combat, and surplus you name it. Out of the box, the Checkmate and the Wilsons are the most reliable, based on my own experience and having shot +65k rounds from various 1911s . This is mostly due to the high power springs that they use at the factory. The rest are okay out of the box as range only mags and a more reliable with wolff +power mag springs.

Having said all that, if you want a range toy and a fungun the 1911 is great. If a stone axe simple carry gun in a 45acp is what you seek then I recommend the glock. Then again the glock is also a love/hate gun.

BTW, STI makes a .40 1911

If ever in middle NC drop a line and we'll go shoot and smoke.

MARSOC (Marine Spec Ops) now carry 1911s again. Kimber built theirs for a while and they held up pretty damn well with everything they were put through, but they're pricey. USMC is back to Colt for their 1911s. The MARSOC 1911s have awesome grips made of a material called G10 originally made by Simonich Armory. Those grips are designed not to slip when wet from sea water, sweat or blood. Kimber Warrior II is essentially a clone of that pistol. I've shot pretty much every 1911 out there and, for the price, Springfield Armory Operator has done just as well as any of the others and are much cheaper. Again, this pistol is another MARSOC clone and even entered military trials. Personally, my daily duty carry is a SIG P226, which is carried by our SEALs. I've put thousands of rounds through mine with ZERO failures. But, it's a 9mm, which some people say lacks stopping power. However, if you're hitting what you're aiming for, a .22LR will do the job. Just sayin'. Whatever you get, put night sights on it. Trijicon makes very good night sights. You don't need a laser. They look great on tv, but they also give away your position. And, every shooter I know who has a laser on their rifle or pistol is readjusting them all the time. They just don't hold their zero, regardless of the brand. My recommendation is to get a good, quality pistol and practice, practice, practice with it until it feels like part of you. If you carry concealed, UNLOAD (remove mag, check chamber!) and practice drawing from where you're going to conceal it and dry fire. When you're sick of it, do it some more. No point in carrying if you can't hit with it. Your life or the life of your family may depend on it.

Personally, I'm not a fan of tactical tupperwear, either, but H&K occasionally draws me in. That said, I know some badass shooters that can make a Glock sing. They're just not for me...

I was a USMC tactical firearms instructor and now do the same for law enforcement, so let me know if you have any questions. I'll be happy to help!

Love that Ruger LCP too. That's my wife's carry gun. Has a laser sight on it too. Can carry loaded because of the heavy trigger pull