Gurgling Pipe Remedies

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
I read here on this fine forum once a mention of a pretty simple fix for (usually) cheaper or factory pipes that had an off-draft hole (either at the briar or stem tip), space in the mortise/tenon setup, etc. It had to do with taking a tool and slightly widening the very end of the draft hole of the stem, by 1mm or so.

Going further on this theme, I couldn't help but notice that some of my better pipes have stems with a "trumpeted" stem where the draft hole begins. Essentially, it seems like a very slight funnel.

Pondering this, I took two pipes I had that weren't masterpieces by any stretch, and used my trusty precision file set, and formed my own. Methodically and evenly, I widened about 1/8" to 1/4" of this start of the draft hole, paying close attention to making certain it was a gradual widening, and created this "trumpeted" style of stem.

Both of these pipes, while still a little wetter, condensing, or moist than the better pipes, now don't gurgle, or if they do, it's not a continuous bubbling, and can even be moderated to smoke drier than they did before.

This isn't a new idea, I just put a slight spin on it, paying attention to the care and detail a better pipe stem employed on their finished product.

I'm sure there's other ways to control gurgle, as in, drying your tobacco, making sure the stem is fitting properly all the way to the briar (no gaps), smoking the right way, and being mindful of the ambient humidity/temperature--but this seems to have some merit.

Any other clues and tips, or comments, by all means. Yes, yes, some joker will just have to mention a pipe cleaner--which still works wonders! :cheers:

8)

Are you talking about chamfering the tenon end of the stem, or widening the slot at the bit? I can tell you that both of these things will assist, but may not eliminate, poor draw problems and result in a better smoke. It's a very necessary step when I make my stems, and I think you'll find that most pipe makers are aware of this trick.

If you'd like a shortcut to achieving that funnel, pick up one of these suckers:

made_o10.jpg

Just a simple ol' countersink. $8 at your local hardware store.

I cut the funnel by hand using this little guy. Takes about a minute and it turns out lookin' professional. ;)

I actually take apart my pipe while i am smoking and use a hair dryer to completely remove the moisture from the mortise and tenon, set it aside for later use, and get out my block of lucite or vulcanized rubber and carve myself a new stem for the second half of the bowl. much more efficient than a pipe cleaner.

Pipe makers? Professional?

Just improving my pieces of crap, guys! 8) I mean, whatever works, whatever fancy names you give it, if it improves the smoke and wasn't done in the first place, eff it and do it however it works.

Honestly, if you have a kitchen knife that's dull and has a mostly intact tip, I'm sure you could make it work. Point being, it ain't hard to do, and the benefits are awesome.

jefe1037":sijk8ltt said:
I actually take apart my pipe while i am smoking and use a hair dryer to completely remove the moisture from the mortise and tenon, set it aside for later use, and get out my block of lucite or vulcanized rubber and carve myself a new stem for the second half of the bowl. much more efficient than a pipe cleaner.
...otherwise, I just throw the whole pipe in a roaring fire--not only will it fully dry, you're guaranteed never to have gurgling issues with that sucker again. 8)

Wait, one sec.

Way to go Kyle! You're the bestest!

Had to reset. ;) :p

Please excuse my snark. I seem to be in rare form today. No offense meant or intended. Maybe I just shouldn't post this... Nah. :geek:

Kyle Weiss":f5t2mn7c said:
jefe1037":f5t2mn7c said:
...otherwise, I just throw the whole pipe in a roaring fire--not only will it fully dry, you're guaranteed never to have gurgling issues with that sucker again. 8)
I actually prefer the fire method.

Fourth time this week, now I'm rage quitting due to Uber. Nice going, jerkface. 8)

(...gurgling forum fixes...) :p

8)

By the by, you're totally right. That little alteration, whether done with a countersink or a kitchen knife does wonders. Who woulda thunk it?

Kyle Weiss":ptvuuxg3 said:
Fourth time this week, now I'm rage quitting due to Uber. Nice going, jerkface. 8)

(...gurgling forum fixes...) :p

8)
LOL! I'm glad no one was in the store when I read this. I just about shot peanut butter M&Ms out my nose.

In hindsight, if there's other real tricks, cool, but now some poor sap (like me) searching for "Gurgling Pipe" might come across a nice thread with some ideas. Actually, success has been had, and I'm probably going to get some nifty drill bit thing to... what was that fancy word... "chamfer?" Though I don't think the angle is particularly important. What I did was probably about... hmm... 15°? *shrug* I just made sure to make obtuse the end, flaring it into a trumpet-like shape. Thank goodness science is forgiving.

Or is it? :scratch:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2IlHgbOWj4o" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

UberHuberMan":j90in4hw said:
LOL! I'm glad no one was in the store when I read this. I just about shot peanut butter M&Ms out my nose.
I'll try better next time. :rabbit: 8)

Kyle Weiss":qfgaxwcz said:
In hindsight, if there's other real tricks, cool, but now some poor sap (like me) searching for "Gurgling Pipe" might come across a nice thread with some ideas. Actually, success has been had, and I'm probably going to get some nifty drill bit thing to... what was that fancy word... "chamfer?" Though I don't think the angle is particularly important. What I did was probably about... hmm... 15°? *shrug* I just made sure to make obtuse the end, flaring it into a trumpet-like shape. Thank goodness science is forgiving.

Or is it? :scratch:
Ok, all joking aside, great job doing a quick DIY on your pipes. It's very satisfying to quickly fix a problem like that. :)

Thanks...it really was a last-ditch effort, I was having an awful time with two of these pipes, and I really like them. Now I don't have to fear picking them up for a good sit-down. 8)

Kyle, you do know about also opening up the draft hole in the shank a bit (open to 5/32 or 11/64"), right? That and what you did can completely cure a gurgler.

williamcharles":8qdhagm5 said:
Kyle, you do know about also opening up the draft hole in the shank a bit (open to 5/32 or 11/64"), right? That and what you did can completely cure a gurgler.
I was wondering about that, honestly. There's another pipe that I may do that on, it is a partial bent with the draft hole not lining up so good, and I have plenty of "briar real-estate" to work with. I might need to get a proper set of drill bits to do this right. Thank you!

8)

I think some pipes just want to gurgle. Some of the tricks can help, but in some cases they were just born that way.

Love the Thomas Dolby vid though!! Reminds me of my HS days.