Gurgling Pipe Remedies

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kyle Weiss":yvnjxlog said:
williamcharles":yvnjxlog said:
Kyle, you do know about also opening up the draft hole in the shank a bit (open to 5/32 or 11/64"), right? That and what you did can completely cure a gurgler.
I was wondering about that, honestly. There's another pipe that I may do that on, it is a partial bent with the draft hole not lining up so good, and I have plenty of "briar real-estate" to work with. I might need to get a proper set of drill bits to do this right. Thank you!

8)
You're welcome Kyle. Opening the stem also helps but you already realize that you must be very careful, especially with a bent stem. Some folks straighten the stem, perform the work, and then re-bend. Others just open the stem as far as possible and call it good. Don't use hot water to soften the stems. Instant and nasty oxidation. Whew! Found that out the hard way. I wasn't thinking and it cost me time and effort.

williamcharles":pprpdddd said:
You're welcome Kyle. Opening the stem also helps but you already realize that you must be very careful, especially with a bent stem. Some folks straighten the stem, perform the work, and then re-bend. Others just open the stem as far as possible and call it good. Don't use hot water to soften the stems. Instant and nasty oxidation. Whew! Found that out the hard way. I wasn't thinking and it cost me time and effort.
If folks only knew a batch of beach sand from a craft store and a thick, metal pie plate to about 250°F (oven/rangetop) works just fine for reshaping glasses frames, I discovered it also works well on straightening and bending pipe stems--without marring, bubbling or screwing up the surface. Gonna try the shank first, then off to the stem. Problem with this one particular pipe is the stem is very lightweight, not much material there--I'd honestly fear it getting brittle in certain areas if I weren't careful. If the shank doesn't work, I'll save it as a giveaway pipe or maybe invest in a freehand stem and just start over.

8)