H&H Darbyshire IPSD 2013 Blend

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joemelon

Reaction score
Anyone try this yet or have a tin on the way (or already sitting on the shelf)? Got my package in today from P&C and the tin note is interesting. Thinking about smoking it tonight but don't know what to smoke it in, I think it's not flavored but can't tell by either smell or descriptions I've read. Is it the lakeland floral/soapy essence that I'm picking up? Never had a tobacco before that smelled similar to this so I'm not sure if I should smoke it in a cob/aromatic dedicated briar or burley/virginia dedicated pipe.

The goody bag was nice too, instead of having 3 new blends to try (plus stocking up on some Orlik Golden Sliced to cellar), now I have 8 new blends. Well, 7 seeing as I've just lit up some PS 4th Gen. 1855 that's reminding me of MacBarren Va. No. 1 without the topping.

I'll update on initial impressions of Darbyshire once I've tried it. Tonight's gonna be a smokey night with all these tobaccos to try and plans to get through at least half of them. :lol:

Update a bit over 15 minutes into first bowl: Tastes and smells great! It's sweet but I think that's just the Va's talking. Not picking up any non-tobacco flavors or sweetness but it seems sweeter than my normal Va's. It's really not a busy smoke, so far. I like that, it having been consistent thus far. No tongue bite or tingle but seems to be hitting the back of my throat a little dry.

About a third of the bowl down at this point and the sweetness isn't at the forefront anymore but the essence is still there with bits of sweetness coming and going.

Intrigued as to what British brands it's reminiscent of.

Second update: On the last third or fourth of the bowl about 45 minutes in, initial sweetness less intense and not present all the time. Feels like the essence of the blend has carried through entire smoke. Saw a video on youtube from a guy that talked to the P&C folk and tried Darbyshire, said there are lakeland tobaccos in it and mentioned something of a topping(s). Going to ask what toppings. As far as first impressions, can't say what it reminds me of, only that I like it.

I'd tell you what the toppings in Darbyshire are, but then I'd have to kill you. The idea behind the blend is to be similar to St. Bruno or Condor, but with much lighter topping. The dryness in the back of your throat is caused by the dark Burley in the blend, which also gives it its body. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Russ

I'm not afraid of dying, I just don't want to yet so I have no use to knowing the toppings. Whatever they are, they are light, so light I can't even tell what I'm tasting. I've never had St. Bruno or any of the Condor tobaccos. If it's just a light sweetening and/or liquor topping, then I'll never guess what with any certainty. :lol: I can taste extraneous sweetness in blends but I can't pick out what liquor when it's used. Oh well, doesn't matter.

On my second bowl, drinking coffee and it's pairing with the smoke nicely. Didn't dry it after rubbing it out like first bowl, it's not hitting the back of my throat as dry as it did. I like how you can attribute it to a specific tobacco, I'm going to see if I can pick up this in other Burleys I have, I suppose this is what hits me as harsh in Old Joe Krantz and Billy Budd. I smoke my aromatics very rarely, and lightly topped tobaccos with a little more frequency, but I'm going to have to start paying more attention to them.

Normally, I think of English blends as a stellar way to start the morning but I could see Darbyshire taking over that role. I see it's sold out on the P&C site, can't wait to see other folks think about it.

blendtobac":rmuzw68r said:
I'd tell you what the toppings in Darbyshire are, but then I'd have to kill you. The idea behind the blend is to be similar to St. Bruno or Condor, but with much lighter topping. The dryness in the back of your throat is caused by the dark Burley in the blend, which also gives it its body. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Russ
Hey Russ!!!
How goes it?
I just watched a video from Chris Morgan on YouTube.
He said this was "His Blend". Yes?

Sean