H.R. 4439, the Tobacco Tax Parity Act of 2010

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam25557

Reaction score
H.R. 4439, the Tobacco Tax Parity Act of 2010 was introduced on January 13, 2010 and would raise the tax on pipe tobacco 775% from $2.8311 to $24.78 per pound.

I am writing to express concern about this bill.

I want you to vote NO to H.R. 4439.

This bill punishes pipe smokers and retail tobacconists. It will destroy an industry of pipe craftsmen, small farmers, tobacco blenders and retailers. Pipe smoking is an historical, time-honored tradition in America that goes back to colonial days.

This is nothing more than an attempt to rope in taxes from roll-your-own cigarette tobacco. The roll-your-own industry has re-labeled cigarette tobacco as pipe tobacco to be taxed at a much lower rate.

This is not the way to fix that problem. For those of us that enjoy real pipe tobacco, this is unfair. A tax increase of 775% on anything is ludicrous. This will kill many small businesses and an historical tradition.

Many honorable people smoked a pipe including; State Senator Millicent Fenwick, President Gerald R. Ford, General Douglas McArthur, Albert Einstein and many more.

The signers of this petition are telling the congressmen and senators that we want them to vote NO on H.R. 4439.

Go to this link to sign the petition!
http://www.rallycongress.com/stop-the-pipe-tobacco-tax/2826/stop-pipe-tobacco-tax/

having seen this on another site, I sent my letters in and today received a response from my congressman thanking me for writing and informing me that the bill had been removed by its sponsors.

I was further informed that, though it had been removed, it may come up again.

Though it seems that the letters in response got the job done this time, it might be a good idea to send your feelings to your representatives, in case it should resurface at a later date.

Definately sign that petition. I actually got a response from PA's senator to the automatically generated e-mail from that petition. Even if it is just a form letter, it is more than I got from the other two e-mails it sent:

Dear Mr....:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about H.R. 4439, the Tobacco Tax Parity Act of 2010. I appreciate hearing from you about this issue.

The Tobacco Tax Parity Act of 2010 was introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives on January 13. 2010. The bill would amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to impose the same rate of tax on pipe tobacco as is imposed on roll-your-own tobacco. Currently, there is no similar legislation in the Senate. Should this bill come before the Senate for consideration, please be assured that I will have your comments in mind.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about this or any other matter of importance to you.

If you have access to the Internet, I encourage you to visit my web site, http://casey.senate.gov. I invite you to use this online office as a comprehensive resource to stay up-to-date on my work in Washington, request assistance from my office or share with me your thoughts on the issues that matter most to you and to Pennsylvania.

Sincerely,
Bob Casey
United States Senator

Even if they pulled the bill, I signed the petition and sent letters anyway. Everyone should do this. And I better get a passport, because I have a feeling, sooner rather than later, I will be going to Canada to make tobacco purchases. Geez... what a way to make money... taxing pipe tobacco. This really gets under my skin.

Petition signed and letters sent to my "representitives" :x in the once great state of New York..........

Petition and e-mails sent. I've heard people say that petitions and e-mails don't work but this is simply not true. I've gotten responses to all the e-mails I have sent to my various representatives and senators. One thing that won't work is to send e-mails or call if you are not a registered voter. Unless you are, you have no power over them.

It gets kind of tiresome that tobacco has to be the whipping boy every time they get in a budget squeeze. How about all the stress extra taxes put into our lives? Don't they think this has an effect on the health of the general smoking population? I know cigarettes are bad news but I think pipe smoking can actually help us deal with the stresses of everyday living. The original 1964 surgeon general's report proved that.

Smokey

Got a reply today from Congressman Baron Hill:

"Thank you for contacting me about H.R. 4439, the Tobacco Tax Parity Act of 2010. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this legislation.

As you know, H.R. 4439 would amend the Internal Revenue Service Code of 1986 to apply the same tax rate to pipe tobacco as roll-your-own tobacco. Though I have concerns about the harmful health effects of smoking, I still fully acknowledge that choosing to smoke is an individual's right.

H.R. 4439 was introduced on January 13th, 2010, by Representative Steve Cohen of Tennessee. It is currently pending before the House Committee on Ways and Means. Should this legislation come before the House for a vote, I will certainly keep your thoughts in mind.

Thank you again for contacting me about H.R. 4439. I appreciate knowing your thoughts on this important bill and I would encourage you to contact me with any additional concerns or comments at 202.225.5315. If you would like to receive periodic email updates on my congressional activities, please visit http://baronhill.house.gov."

I did it also. Thanks to BoB, and those of ya"ll that made it so easy. PegLegEd.

I sent mine last week. It went to Alexander, Duncan and Corker (all three TN Republicans).

I've not heard a peep back from them, but I did get (for the first time) an "online newsletter" from Alexander in my email yesterday. Since the petition was the first thing I've ever sent to Alexander, that's where he must have got my email address.
The same thing happened to a guy I work with who also filled out the petition.

That really ticks me off....these guys couldn't have the common decency to send me an e-mail acknowledging my thoughts on the tobacco tax act, but they sure don't have a problem sending me some newsletter aimed at fooling me into believing they are doing their job in Washington.