Ha ! A new PETE in the family.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustyRoundup

Reaction score
I was bidding on a couple Lillehammer pipes a few days ago, and I came across this Pete Aran, with a few minutes left, going for $39.00, so I bid, and I'll be if I didnt win it.

And it seems as if its only been smoked a few times, its in REALLY Nice shape!

Heres the Pete family as it stands

I had a nice Pete 304, star system,, it was red with sterling silver band,,but I sent it to my son in Oklahoma...I told him it was my first Pete,and it was my favorite,,and he values it for those reasons. Plus he's Irish too, of course.

I sure do like Peterson Pipes.

I enjoy having a P-Lip or three in my rotation. Gives my tongue a little rest. That is certainly a great price for a Pete in such good condition. Congrats! 8)

DustyRoundup":ets54yif said:
I was bidding on a couple Lillehammer pipes a few days ago, and I came across this Pete Aran, with a few minutes left, going for $39.00, so I bid, and I'll be if I didnt win it.

DAMN FINE PIPE :cheers: And at a DAMN FINE PRICE :cheers: I'll bet some Blackwoods Flake would break that puppy in JUST RIGHT :p

Great deal Dusty and very nice acquisition. Nice little assortment of Petes too. You have some nice pieces there.

Love me some Petes. Hardly a day goes by I don't smoke one of mine.

Cheers,

RR

LOL, my Green Spigot #65,,, yeah, I dont smoke her much , only on Sundays, and only one bowl per day.
I kind of want to keep it looking new. I tell ya though, the fishtail on that spigot is probably the most comfortable bit end out of all of my pipes, as far as clenching goes, without having to clench too tight, it just feels good and easy.

The 264 Racing Green was my "Goin to town" pipe,, you know, drivin to Walmart, or washin clothes, or grocery shoppin :D But lately Ive been worried about dingin it, so it became my evening pipe.

The big ole 307 is a dedicated Latakia pipe now. :D
The 317 is so light , you dont even know its clenched in your teeth :D
The St Pat. 2012 #69 is a good all around take everywhere looks good pipe.
and now the Aran #87,, I like the length, I love the bowl shape, I dont know what I'll think about a p-lip on a straight pipe, but we'll see. The chamber dia and depth seems to match the spigot's, and i like that bowl.

Hmm?? someday,,,,a RED SPIGOT !! would be a nice addition to the Family :D

You might want to wrap those green ones up when not being used...the green will stay purer that way, I've heard. The green has been plagued by 'yellowing' over time, especially if left in the light (oxidizing?). But they are SO cool looking (IMHO) I'd have a hard time doing that!

On that note Blackhorse,, I was using the 2 part headlight lens restorer on the stem of the new pipe, and I thought Id try the "part 2" on the wood,, so I tested it on the 307 and it gave it a nice waxy shine,, so I did all my pipes (except for the greens) and it really shined em up, but it gives them a "dry slick" feel..
Do you think if I did the greens , it would keep them from oxidizing???

Ya know what, I am going to do it and find out...I sure hope it doesnt hurt them,,
OK, I'll do just the 264 first , and see.

Great looking Peterson collection...I have always loved Peterson pipes. :cheers:

Re: the compound for headlights on the pipes? I have no way of knowing what the compound is, so I don't know what to tell you. And, since what you're trying to do is protect the pipes from UV damage (?) it's a long term deal...so no way to know in the short run if what you've done has had the effect you want. If it was me...I'd absolutely done just one pipe and see what the effect was, short run, just to know that no damage would result. Do the racing green one and leave the spigot as is, it being the 'high value' item of the two. I'd be very wary of using something that's no designed for use over wood, with wax, etc. God knows what kind of chemestry you're subjecting the surface to...long term. It's entirely possible that the stuff has toluene or some other sinister stuff that will attack the surface over time. Read the labels carefully, including anything dealing with first aid if swollowed (which can give you clues to it's chemestry). It addition to wanting to be carefull of the pipe's surfaces...it might introduce something that would be poisonous to YOU!

Aside from that, if there's a wax or sealer of something that protects from UV...that's what I'd be trying find. And if your pipes are stored inside, in an area away from sunlight, then you might be OK without the application of something special.

The above is just off the top of my head (a very dangerous area) without having done any research on it...just common sense kind of stuff. So take it as such.

well, I just did the 264 with one coat, and buffed it out with a soft cloth.
We'll see down the road how it comes out.
But your right Blackhorse, and I take yor advice seriously.. So, I'll just leave it be for now.and yes my pipes are in a cabinet, so they dont get much sun.

A nice collection of Pete's and some good photography. I like the way you displaed the tins of tobacco amongst the pipes. A collection to be proud of.

New to the world of pipe smoking. Just wanted to say nice collection and the stands are unique. Looks like maybe sorringowls?

A neat Pete set! I use auto plastic polish on all of my vulcanite or lucite stems and think it gives them an extra layer of oxidation protection (currently using "Blue Magic" brand). But, I don't think it would be good to use on the briar finish, it is an abrasive, mild, but still an abrasive.