Had a bit of a scare yesterday

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d4klutz

Reaction score
I was at work and my wife called me and asked if I had gotten a text from her. I hadn't, but asked her what had happened. She had been bitten by a snake. I got the picture and saw that it was a copperhead. I told her to get the neighbor and to go to the ER. I was across town. I know that I running over 95mph at one point trying to get to the hospital. The picture my wife sent made the snake look HUGE. It was actually a baby snake (the worst type of bite to get). Fortunately, the snake didn't inject much venom and my wife was out of the ER in a couple of hours. There was no need for an anti-venom (fortunately).

We got very lucky, but just highlights the dangers of living in the country and NOT wearing proper shoes. My wife went outside in flip-flops, even though I have told her a million times to put boots on before going outside.

Now, just to wait for the ER bill. I don't have insurance at the moment. *sigh*.

Whoa, Thank god it wasn't worse, I'm glad everything turn out okay for her.
She was VERY lucky and I would imagine she'll be taking your advice from now on. ;)
We get them around here a lot but, not as much as I'd like, gofer and mole problem not to mention mice and rats. Got a dog so poisoning is out of the question and getting him to understand sticking his nose in and around bushes is unhealthy is like telling a child not to get dirty. Hopefully he'll be as lucky as your wife. ;)

Dang that was a close call. I'm very pleased to know it turned out ok in the end; hopefully your wife will heed your advice in the future.

:cheers:

:shock: Yikes! Glad she's okay, definitely could have turned out much worse!

So scary for both of you JP, thank the Heavens it wasn't worse but of course that wouldn't change the level of fear you both experienced, prayers going out to you all my friend, pass along my very best to your good lady. :sunny:

d4klutz":pug180t7 said:
  Now, just to wait for the ER bill.  I don't have insurance at the moment. *sigh*.
That's the real danger of rural living. :p

Glad to hear she's alright, JP.

Glad to hear your wife's ok.
No real nasties like that in the UK, one of the very few advantages of living in a cold damp climate :) 
Hope she's fully recovered and has binned the flip-flops.

Glad to hear she's OK, Copperheads are bad but not near as bad as rattlers and especially Cotton Mouths. More folks die from the vermin in a Cotton Mouth's mouth than from a Copperhead's venom !! If you are in snake country boots are a better deal than flip-flops for sure !! :twisted: :twisted:

Really glad things turned out ok JP! Snakes are nothing to screw with. Used to bale hay and we would occasionally end up running one through the machinery. Nothing quite like a pissed off rattler with his back half stuck in a bale. That's why I always kept a 38 loaded with birdshot in the tool box of the tractor. Boots are a definite must! Hopefully the bill won't be too bad considering she didn't need the antivenin. Some of those are astronomical in price.

Jim

I like wearing my boots out here, snakes are tough to defend from in flip-flops. Glad she's ok, sounds like you have enough on your plate... Don't need her hurt...

:shock: Man, I'm glad that it had a happy ending! Snake bites are no joke. My step mom runs into a lot of rattlers on the property so she has a .410 handy to deal with them.

My wife is doing well. She is a tough bird. She killed the snake that bit her, refused pain meds at the ER (even though I told her to get some if she needed it), and was up and walking around yesterday. She is already almost back to full strength. Thanks for the well wishes. She got extremely lucky, and the snake that got her injected very little venom. But she now doesn't go out without boots on. Now, if I can get my son trained.... I caught him outside yesterday in bare feet. He got a good tongue lashing. Next time, I see him without boots, I won't be so lenient.

d4klutz":m476i8t8 said:
My wife is doing well.  She is a tough bird.  She killed the snake that bit her, refused pain meds at the ER (even though I told her to get some if she needed it), and was up and walking around yesterday.  She is already almost back to full strength.   Thanks for the well wishes.  She got extremely lucky, and the snake that got her injected very little venom.  But she now doesn't go out without boots on.  Now, if I can get my son trained.... I caught him outside yesterday in bare feet.  He got a good tongue lashing.  Next time, I see him without boots, I won't be so lenient.
Wow! And so soon after his Mom got bitten by a Copperhead he does this? It beggars belief!! Hope you went all ballistic on his ass!

:suspect:

Cheers,

RR

When I was 16 I got bit by my "pet" copperhead. The bite wasn't bad, right on the knuckle, no vemon, BUT...telling my mom that my copperhead, which she did not know I had, had bitten me...WOW.
Good thing you didn't need antivenom. Crofab is $2000 to $6000 a vial at the hospital. Usually takes 4-10 vials. I have a friend who keeps venomous, he will not keep N.A. Crotalids, too costly. Cobra anti is $100 or so.

I've heard about these types of "dry" bites where little or no venom is injected for whatever reason. I have to imagine it's one of the most curious, scary, and relieving things that can happen all at once. Glad this was a better case scenario, Brother.