had an epiphony today with some VA flake...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthernPiper

Reaction score
is epiphony the right word here? either way it was a very "a-ha" moment.. actually started a few days ago, but didn't come into fruition until this morning during the drive to work..

I bought a tin of Astley's 109 (medium virginia flake), a while back, and fought with it for half the tin. fold and stuff, roll and stuff, rub out, let it dry out.. no matter what I just couldn't really enjoy it. horrid taste, tongue bite, a gurgle that sounds like a kid blowing through a straw into his soda... So I finally decide "I'm gonna let this dry out over night and if its still bad its going in the trash". And then I forgot it for a few days. Finally got around to it this morning and it felt TOO dry. I tried it anyway, and it was pretty dog gone good!

Just thought I'd share my little story..

SouthernPiper":nj1wof6n said:
is epiphony the right word here? either way it was a very "a-ha" moment.. actually started a few days ago, but didn't come into fruition until this morning during the drive to work..

I bought a tin of Astley's 109 (medium virginia flake), a while back, and fought with it for half the tin. fold and stuff, roll and stuff, rub out, let it dry out.. no matter what I just couldn't really enjoy it. horrid taste, tongue bite, a gurgle that sounds like a kid blowing through a straw into his soda... So I finally decide "I'm gonna let this dry out over night and if its still bad its going in the trash". And then I forgot it for a few days. Finally got around to it this morning and it felt TOO dry. I tried it anyway, and it was pretty dog gone good!

Just thought I'd share my little story..
You nailed it!

Epiphany-a sudden, intuitive perception of or insight into the reality or essential meaning of something, usually initiated by some simple, homely, or commonplace occurrence or experience.

Straight Va flakes are really tasty once you "get it"! It really can be described as an "Ah-ha" moment.... "so thaaaat´s what they´ve been talking about!"

There are a whole bunch of great ones out there so you´ll have plenty to try!

:cheers:

I much prefer Va flakes on the really dry side. Only exception seems to be Dunhill Flake. Not only do they smoke easier but the hay-like flavours seem more predominant.

I seem to always be the oddman out on this front because I like just about all my smokes on the moist side but with VAs i've found a bit of age takes the edge off. I got some FVF from my local shop that was tucked away and was a few years old, it was quite nice compared to fresh FVF, I have the new stuff sitting as it'll need a year or two before I gets to where I want it. So moral of the story, if you don't like it now lay it up for a year or two and try again.

I tend to be in the camp that prefers my Virginia flakes somewhat, but not too, moist. I think the Virginias need a bit of moisture to solvate the sugars to my taste.

When I was at the Chicago show, a friend gave me several flakes of some aged Sam's flake. I've smoked Sam's flake before, and it was a good-but-not-great experience.

In Chicago, however, I found those Sam's flakes absolutely delicious. I loved it.

So, I started hunting for some of my own. Not easy to find. I finally found a one pound box that had been forgotten by the shop. I bought the pound and jarred it immediately upon receipt. I've smoked a couple of flakes and it is very good. Not great yet, but very good.

I'm going to give it some time and try again.

Tobacco does seem to 'mellow out' with age. Cigar smokers often find young cigars improve considerably with a year or two at the right temperature and humidity levels. I've seen young cigars that smelled slightly rotten (Flor de Filipinas Reserva, from the Philippines) turn into delightfully pleasant and smooth smokes.

I rarely smoke cigars before they've sat in my humidor for a couple years. Got some going on 8 years. Should be good now.

Now that I've invested in some pipes and tobacco, I can see my cigars getting some years on them! ;)

There's some debate in the cigar community about whether cigars get better or worse after about four years of aging since you lose some volatile compounds to decomposition. A lot do believe they continue to get better indefinitely, which is why there's such a big market for vintage cigars. What I do know for sure is new cigars (including Cubans, which are basically all we can get here in Hong Kong) do benefit hugely from even short periods of time in a humidor!